Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Morrowind won't run

Severian Silk

I have installed MGE XE 0.9.10, MCP 2.2, Morrowind Watercolored, and Better Dialogue Font.

I ran the setup utilities for MGE and MCP.

When I select New Game the program crashes with a "Morrowind has stopped working" error.

This is the Steam version of the game installed to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Morrowind".

Windows 7 x64 SP1 Home

Any ideas what is wrong?

[edit]

MCP seems to work on its own. The crash occurs after installing MGE.

Last edited by a moderator:

DraQ

Arcane
Then don't MGE? IT's not like MW looks bad without it - the water is slightly less pretty (if you have the shaders on) but still looks nice and the worst thing is clipping in the distance which isn't fully masked by fog.

Anyway, to run MGE you need to run MWSE, it's also a good idea to run configuration for MGE first.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I was also unable to run Morrowind with MGE, I think saw a disclaimer in the readme (or some other place, I'm not sure) that confirmed that it was incompatible with my graphics card or something like that.

Severian Silk

Anyway, to run MGE you need to run MWSE, it's also a good idea to run configuration for MGE first.
MGE XE includes MWSE 0.9.4a.

[edit]

Never mind. I will play without MGE.

Game still seems buggy to me. When I try to quit it becomes unresponsive and have to kill via task manager.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Unless you're using a massive amount of texture/graphical overhauls then MGE is kind of pointless. It also ruins the atmosphere because you can see halfway across the map.

Zibniyat

Arcane
This is the Steam version of the game installed to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Morrowind".

Generally, for modded games, it's recommended that game's installation directory be outside Program files/Program files (x86) pathway.

My Steam games are all in C:\Games\Steam

I'm sure that Steam either offers directory/folder switching or you could use some utilities to do that for you, so that game folders are outside Program files directory...

Severian Silk

Generally, for modded games, it's recommended that game's installation directory be outside Program files/Program files (x86) pathway.

My Steam games are all in C:\Games\Steam

I'm sure that Steam either offers directory/folder switching or you could use some utilities to do that for you, so that game folders are outside Program files directory...
That's what I did initially, but experienced a different bug when I did so.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/22320/discussions/0/630800446525422823/

Mods expect the game to be installed in "Steam", not "SteamApps".

Zibniyat

Arcane
Yes, but the "Steam" folder should (by default) contain the "SteamApps" folder.

Here's mine, for example KOTOR II:

C:\Games\Steam\SteamApps\common\Knights of the Old Republic II

Your Steam client should automatically install all games into \common\<game name> folder. And within such a folder you look for any one game's folder structure to organise mods...

Edit: OK, misunderstood you. That's odd then, that the game requires such a thing... That shouldn't be the case, and I've installed many a mods in my life, though admittedly not for Morrowind (yet).

Edit 2: From quickly glancing at your link, the problem seems to be that someone installed their game in a SteamApp folder *outside* the Steam folder... Not sure how they've managed to do that (haven't followed Steam-related things in a while), but either way you should make sure that your SteamApp folder is only 1 and that it's within the Steam folder.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Had zero problems installing Morrowind mods to default Steam installation location.

Severian Silk

The default Steam behavior when installing to a separate drive is to create a "SteamLibrary" folder on the new drive.

For instance my Morrowind directory was "E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Morrowind\" until I moved it back to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Morrowind\".

Severian Silk

Since last night the game is stuttering/freezing every few seconds. It was running smoothly before that. I made no changes to the game and did not install new software willingly. There are new complaints on the Steam forum as well. I hope someone figures out what is the cause or I will have to stop playing since it is a PITA. :(

Maybe Microsoft is trying to get me to upgrade to Windows 10?

Severian Silk

It ended up being a Windows Defender/Security Essentials problem, which is why it was affecting so many people.

just get openmw and move your save files over

Is it anywhere near version 1.0 yet? I don't want to play a buggy game.

Dustin542

Liturgist
I think giving your user full control permissions on a game's folder helps if its in program files. I have had it set up that way and haven't had any problems.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Is it anywhere near version 1.0 yet? I don't want to play a buggy game.

MemeMorrowind is pointless at the moment. It lacks shader support, so the main reason to get it (performance) is pointless without shaders that actually drain performance. Plus a lot of quest mods will be incompatible (if you even use those).

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
No, it should have shader support again from what I've seen.

It does? IIRC it had a water shader but not much more going on. I know however it was very close to including shaders once again.

Gord

Arcane
I think vanilla shader effects are included already (at least I didn't notice any missing so far, but then last time vanilla has been long ago), with additional proper support for normal and specular maps (requires new textures, the hack approach from vanilla-modding usually won't work).
Mods usuall work as long as they don't require code hacks, MWSE or specific vanilla bugs.
That means models, (simple) textures, mods that only use vanilla scripting functions.

One of the next versions should bring back shadows and distant land (which were included in the older Ogre3D versions, iirc, but didn't yet make it into new versions after the render engine switch).

In summary, if one has trouble getting vanilla to run, openMW is an alternative. It can't be used to provide a heavily modded experience, however (so no Graphics Overhaul).

Severian Silk

Okay, I tried again to get MGE XE working. The game is installed at:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Morrowind

I gave my standard user account full privileges to that folder and all subfolders.

The game crashes when it gets to the "Initializing Data" stage of loading. Also, it turned my screen dark everywhere.

Not sure what else to do.

Severian Silk

Okay! I enabled the "Disable Internal MWSE" option, and the game runs now. Not sure what side effects this will cause.

[edit]

The graphics definitely look crisper and smoother. It's as if the resolution were increased.

:bro:

[edit]

Loading times are considerably longer, however.

[edit]

My framerate sucks now in cities. :(

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom