Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Anime Mortal Kombat 11

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
No offense but Cetrion and Cassie are hot

cetrion-mortal-kombat-11.jpg

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
So, how's the actual gameplay? I know this is Codex and most people don't care but how is it this time around? Previous NRS games were pretty mashy and kasual but I heard this game was supposed to be more spacing and neutral focused.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
The game is filled with lootboxes and has an insane unlockables system, and of course it requires internet conection as DRM system for modes like the Krypt. Warner bros striking back harder than ever.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
A lot of Gamers these days find consumer activism and review bombing more interesting than actually playing video games. Especially folks who watch a lot of "consumer advocate" Youtubers like Jim Sterling or the late Totalbiscuit.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Mortal Kombat mentions racism and now all of a sudden people are interested in the quality of its storyline.

Imagine that.

Yeah, imagine that. You start hamfistedly injecting "real world issues" into a game about bad ass dudes beating the shit out of each other and suddenly the shit stands out.

Who would've figured.

Dexter

Arcane
You called?

Mortal%2BKombat%2B-%2BMileena%2BCosplay.jpg
You just did this to yourselves, Boon:
AHFkilY.png

Ed Boon Playboy interview: https://archive.fo/c2dHo
You mentioned social media, and I kind of want to get into that next because we live in an age where everyone has a opinion, and you have this roster of beloved characters, and you have fans who expect them to look a certain way. If you do side-by-side comparisons between female characters in Mortal Kombat 9 to their counterparts in Mortal Kombat 11, there's less visible skin now. There are some fans who are cool with that, yet there's other fans who want that Heavy Metal magazine approach. Is there a reason for scaling back on the more revealing costumes?

Well, it made a little more sense to have them dressed, especially if they're going to be in combat. I don't know how many people wear a bikini to a fight. And also with technology, especially with Mortal Kombat 11, we're able to display our characters with more fidelity, detail and realism than we ever have, and that includes materials, like we can suddenly do something that really looks like leather, like steel, like cloth, like suede, like velvet, you know? All of those things we didn't have the ability to do before, and so that lets us make much more interesting, realistic costumes, and so we really just kind of gravitated in that direction.

I had a similar conversation with Cory Barlog, creative director of the latest God of War. The earlier games in that series had those infamous sex scenes. They’re not part of the new reboot, and some of his team still wanted to include them. He pretty much told me, "The early games were from our college years. We were kind of doing things because we could. There’s nothing wrong with that, but we’re all older now. Let’s look at things differently." Would you say there's some personal growth, similar to what Cory was saying, that led to the mature look of some of these characters?

Yeah, I'm sure that that was also a factor. To be honest, I thought we probably went a bit too far with Mortal Kombat 9, and as the team lead—there were certainly members of the team who wanted to go in that direction, and to be honest, I had influence in dialing it back to where it is now compared to where it ended up being with Mortal Kombat 9. And as I look back, I kind of wish that I had had pulled it even further back. Now, granted, we are all clearly happy with how that game turned out, and it's our second-highest-selling one, which is great, but in retrospect, I would have done it differently had we done it today.

You guys added a feature in MK11 where there's going to be alternate skins and customization with the costumes. To help appease some of those fans who maybe kind of want to create a look that’s more in the vein of Mortal Kombat 9, is there an option for them to go with something a little more revealing, or is it still going to be under control?

It's pretty much under control. I mean, at the end of the day, they're going be selecting costumes that we designed. I'm sure some of them are more revealing than others, just because of the nature of different costume designs, but we did not go as far as we did with Mortal Kombat 9. And it's interesting, too, because any time there is change with a game that has a really strong following, the initial human knee jerk reaction is—change is bad. This isn't what I remembered, you know? So there's a nostalgia thing that players are looking for, but at the same time, those are the same players who will say, "Oh, this is just more of the same. I'm bored,” if you don't change anything, and so I'm personally a firm believer than when you make multiple sequels of a game, or probably any kind of format of entertainment, you need to offer something new, something different. [That] just makes it more interesting because when presented with something new, it's always a better experience than just repeating the known.

Last edited:

Irata

Scholar
So there is time travel involved in this game? Because I watching a bit of someone playing it and I couldn't figure out how the 30 something Johnny and Sonya have an adult daughter. All my knowledge of MK comes from the movie with the Highlander in it though.

I'm just waiting for XL to drop to 5 USD. I won't be playing it online so I can keep waiting. Speaking of online. I'm disappointed that all the modern fighting games except SF5 don't have the ability to play with the consoles. I'm mediocre at best and I need a wider playerbase than PC only can provide.

sullynathan

Arcane
I think they said they'll do crossplatform play eventually, just not at launch. It's 60 fps across all platforms so it's feasible.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
These Towers of Time are absolute whack. If you think some of those Libra of Souls modifiers in Soul Calibur 6 were ridiculous, this is ten times worse. Try playing a fighting game where you get constantly bombarded by homing offscreen projectiles that immobilize, interrupt and damage you every few seconds :prosper:

Of course, fighting games are made for PVP but 90% of all the customization seems to be locked behind this Tower grind.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I just use the AI to fight Towers of Time shit for me while I do something else. I'm on PC, so I'm from the past where the patch updates to console haven't even come out yet.

Noob Saibot's AI with combos set to 25-30 and I think some into rushdown seems to completely destroy the computer. May have to use a consumable if you're up against ultra bullshit modifiers though since in my version I still can't block or duck or avoid a huge fucking red laser beam.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom