Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Most defiled and violated RPG series

user

Savant
Which series were so brutally mutilated by a sequel, that the sequel almost deserves an award for it? And what sequel do you predict will do that to a series in the future? For example:

-Gothic: Gothic 3 was a masterpiece (it just wasn't developed yet). The crime occurred with its "sequel". Officially considered a part of the gothic series and advertized as such at the time it was released - Arcania : Gothic 4.

-Fallout: When Bethesda bought fallout, everyone knew that its strong points aren't storytelling/engaging mechanics. Plus, FO3 was an amazing rpg with ~999 mods, which could fix any lore/gameplay inconsistencies (even Lamplight). What can't be called an rpg with any number of mods is Fallout 4, where the actual genre mutilation of the series occured (most of its mods are unsurprisingly nude female model body types anyway, as there is not much room for gameplay mods).

-As for the future, Bethesda, masters of open world games copy/pasting assets from one game to another, is the most likely candidate imo, to streamline the last rpg elements out of TES, with TESVI. After all, it just works (750m with F4 in the first 24h).

Okagron

Prophet
FO3 was an amazing rpg with ~999 mods, which could fix any lore/gameplay inconsistencies (even Lamplight).
You can polish a turd all you want, it's still a turd in the end. And Fallout 3 is a giant turd in the end regardless of how many mods you stick in it.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
FO3 was an amazing rpg

l9IyWmy.gif

user

Savant
FO3 was an amazing rpg with ~999 mods, which could fix any lore/gameplay inconsistencies (even Lamplight).
You can polish a turd all you want, it's still a turd in the end. And Fallout 3 is a giant turd in the end regardless of how many mods you stick in it.

Should have said "a stellar, phenomenal rpg" instead. Didn't feel I caused enough of a shock :P
Only if you know how to salvage it though. Give me an example of something that makes it a turd and can't be fixed with mods.

Which series were so brutally mutilated by a sequel, that the sequel almost deserves an award for it? And what sequel do you predict will do that to a series in the future? For example:

-Gothic: Gothic 3 was a masterpiece (it just wasn't developed yet). The crime occurred with its "sequel". Officially considered a part of the gothic series and advertized as such at the time it was released - Arcania : Gothic 4.

-Fallout: When Bethesda bought fallout, everyone knew that its strong points aren't storytelling/engaging mechanics. Plus, FO3 was an amazing rpg with ~999 mods, which could fix any lore/gameplay inconsistencies (even Lamplight). What can't be called an rpg with any number of mods is Fallout 4, where the actual genre mutilation of the series occured (most of its mods are unsurprisingly nude female model body types anyway, as there is not much room for gameplay mods).

-As for the future, Bethesda, masters of open world games copy/pasting assets from one game to another, is the most likely candidate imo, to streamline the last rpg elements out of TES, with TESVI. After all, it just works (750m with F4 in the first 24h).
bB1KJQ3.jpg

user

Savant

bB1KJQ3.jpg

I wrote about this in the recent past as well, that FO3 can be an amazing, authentic, rich even, RPG, with the right mods and people keep being shocked! I think many codexians are uneducated in the way of modding and I want to change that.

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Lands of Lore was heavily violated too. Part 2+3 were totally different games. The overall background, lore was the same but the disappointment was huge. I can remember well...

It would have been better if these games weren't published with a number in their title, pretending to be a continuation in the likeness of the first game.

Okagron

Prophet
I wrote about this in the recent past as well, that FO3 can be an amazing, authentic, rich even, RPG, with the right mods and people keep being shocked! I think many codexians are uneducated in the way of modding and I want to change that.
No mod can fix the terrible core of the gameplay (to fix the shooting you pretty much have to rework it at its core, basically scrap it and make new shooting from the ground up), the terrible writing, the terrible world building, the terrible characters, the terrible story, the terrible quests and pretty much everything that makes Fallout 3 bad. Fixing lore inconsistencies (i doubt any mod has removed the Enclave and Super Mutants from the game) will hardly fix anything.

Fallout 3 is pretty much unsalvagable and you have to be completely insane to think mods can make it into a "rich RPG".

Neanderthal

Arcane
Yeah Ultima just fell so hard, it bloody hurt seeing what Pagan was when compared to what Serpent Isle and Labyrinth of World's had conjured in me minds eye.

user

Savant
No mod can fix the terrible core of the gameplay (to fix the shooting you pretty much have to rework it at its core), the terrible writing, the terrible world building, the terrible characters, the terrible story, the terrible quests and pretty much everything that makes Fallout 3 bad. Fixing lore inconsistencies (i doubt any mod has removed the Enclave and Super Mutants from the game) will hardly fix anything.

Fallout 3 is pretty much unsalvagable and you have to be completely insane to think mods can make it into a "rich RPG".

As for writing for example, there are mods which completely remove or replace by removing voice-overs, lines that were more or less idiotic in vanilla. A worldbuilding example is that, like FNV, food production is shown by brahmin/plant farms, some vegetation and npcs working on them. A shooting improvement example is many mods revamping all weapons skills to be more immersive by removing the damage increase and increasing the accuracy of the weapon by decreasing bullet spread as the player raised the skill. Admittedly not everything can be 100% fixed - e.g. there have been reskins for the enclave in some overhauls and various added lore pieces that excuse some of their behavior. But it's not like your dad and them can be completely removed - they can become tolerable though.

Should have said "a stellar, phenomenal rpg" instead. Didn't feel I caused enough of a shock :P

You are confusing shock with anger/sadness. Codex used to be not quite so decline. Please gtfo

It used to be not quite so decline before.... like a year earlier? kekhehkehkehk

Okagron

Prophet
As for writing for example, there are mods which completely remove or replace by removing voice-overs, lines that were more or less idiotic in vanilla.
Doesn't change the fact that that most of the quest premises are either boring or completely idiotic. So replacing lines that are idiotic changes basically nothing.
A worldbuilding example is that, like FNV, food production is shown by brahmin/plant farms, some vegetation and npcs working on them.
That's only one part of the problem. Daddy dearest claims the wasteland needs water but it has been surviving fine with the water it has (the wasteland exists after 200 years). Can mods suddenly fix this? Doubt it since it's pretty much the entire main story.
A shooting improvement example is many mods revamping all weapons skills to be more immersive by removing the damage increase and increasing the accuracy of the weapon by decreasing bullet spread as the player raised the skill.
Doesn't really fix the shooting itself. The shooting itself is still awful garbage, and changing numbers changes nothing.
But it's not like your dad and them can be completely removed - they can become tolerable though.
No, they cannot. Only way he can become tolerable if he's removed from the game. But he can't be removed since he's such a big part of the game, he's part of the core of the game.

So, nope, mods don't make Fallout 3 into a "rich RPG". Only way to make it into such a thing is to pretty much make a whole new Fallout 3, completely divorced from the existing Fallout 3.

And Fallout 3 is just as bad as Fallout 4, in different ways.

Martyr

Arcane
meh. even some of our most monocled posters like mondblut and octavius can appreciate modded Fallout 3 and Oblivion, so y'all are trying too hard with the hate.

sure, they're massive decline compared to Fallout 1 and Daggerfall and far from being "stellar, phenomenal rpg"s but there certainly are worse games.

Zer0wing

Cipher
Dragon Age. The first game wasn't top tier RPG in the first place but the fall from grace within one year is staggering, fastest I've seen in the industry. And then Bioware fucked up with the 3rd game regardless of given development time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom