Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Most overrated industry legend?

Most undeserving of reputation?

• Mikami (Resident Evil, Dino Crisis, God Hand, Vanquish, The Evil Within)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Itsuno (Rival Schools, Power Stone, Darkstalkers, Devil May Cry, Dragons Dogma, ect.)

• Kitase (Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger)

• Total voters

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Kojima is underrated if anything.

Latro

Arcane
kojima has more than enough good games under his belt, all sawyer has is new vegas and all the best bits aren't even attributed to him

icewind dale 2 and poe series are definition of second, no, third rate games. sawyer doesn't even get to be considered a "has-been", he's simply "never-been"

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Reminder that Sawyer is a hack.
EpF4AEM.jpg

Cat Dude

Savant
kojima has more than enough good games under his belt, all sawyer has is new vegas and all the best bits aren't even attributed to him

icewind dale 2 and poe series are definition of second, no, third rate games. sawyer doesn't even get to be considered a "has-been", he's simply "never-been"

But I like Heart of Winter expansion and Beast of Winter dlc though.

Desolate Dancer

Educated
But I like Heart of Winter expansion and Beast of Winter dlc though.
By virtue of being an IE game IWD cannot be utter shit (unlike Pílárz oþ Eƿörnyƿű), at least graphic and UI wise. That being said, the party-less game with no meaningful dialogues was never to my liking. And it worth mentioning that it was only passable despite Soy-er's interference, not because of it. Imagine how much time the IWD team must have spent to stunlock Swóyr to prevent him from fucking up everything else?

It's also an ironic thing to note that while BG originally was meant to be a battle simulator game only, it became everything else and more! Whereas IWD really only was just a murderhobo battlatrain whack-n-slash with top-notch graphics with little to no soul and replayability. At least it showed us what would have happened with BG without that change.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
PS2 MGS3 was an excellent game, but pretty much everything else he's been involved with, the MGS sequels especially, have been total wank. MGS5 had amazing gameplay, but it lacked content.

Fixed

No Todd Howard?

He is obviously trolling by only putting Japanese developers there. I called him out on it but it seems some people here didn't get the joke i was making. Like, what the shit.

This thread is in the Japanese gaming forum not the general gaming, so obviously this poll will only be about jap devs.

My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
OP should have asked which non-Kojima industry player is most overrated, cause no one even compares to him (at least here in the west) for cloying fanboys spouting on about his brilliance when his games have stagnated in deign since the 90's.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Every game legend became overrated soon or later, since by nature law, they eventually became senile. :salute:

hexer

John Romero

A brave statement, but one I agree with. Although I wouldn't say he's the most overrated, he's still massively overcredited for his contributions to gaming.
I'd say Ken Levine deserves a spot too, but I'm not sure if he fits the list considering you meant to post this on the weeb subforum. That also begs the question as to why you've decided to include Sawyer though.

Why would you say Ken Levine is overrated?
The man came up with some of the best game settings ever and is currently trying to make an RPG with procedurally generated storyline that reacts to any decision you make.

Yoko Taro is more overrated than Kojima.

Both are convoluted and pretentious storytellers, but MGS at least has fun gameplay systems.

I disagree, both of them are artists, which automatically means your average person won't understand them or their work even if their life depended on it, they're trying to get better at storytelling with each new game and incorporate varied gameplay.
Not to mention, Taro is especially super-humble and self-critical creator which is unheard of in today's age of narcissism where most people create crap and attribute it a divine status.

And they haven't yet disappointed their fans unlike for example Chris Avellone who still has to top his success from 1999.

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
Because Ken Levine is washed up. Bioshock marked the decline for System Shock clones, and Infinite especially was a horribly designed mess. Yes he struck gold twice with System Shock 2 and Thief (to the extent he can be credited anyway), but his more recent track record shows he has clearly lost his touch, yet people still see him as some kind of infallible industry legend. Therefore he's overrated.

hexer

What if someone likes both System Shock and Bioshock series? What do we do then?
In this video, he talks about his new game and sounds sincere and passionate.
I'm looking forward to it!

Azdul

Magister
"Industry legend" is a marketing ploy to sell outdated "spritual successor" games to 30- and 40-year olds.

Having Richard Garriot, Brad McQuaid, Peter Molyneux or Keiji Inafune on the project actually lowers the chances of creating good game.
The same is true for any other celebrity designers, who may not yet have string of failed "spritual successors" to their name.

You cannot be a public face of the company and spend most of your time talking to half-witted reporters - and at the same time have meaningful input on game design.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Definitely Sawyer. He is not even an industry legend. Don't get me wrong, I like most of his games, but they are not masterpieces and his design decisions are questionable.

Kojima for sure. Metal Gear games suck hard, never understood the appeal.

Any game designer who makes half of his game consist of unskippable, lengthy cutscenes should not even qualify as a game designer.
Thankfully Kojima's cutscenes are skippable, so he qualifies as a game designer. You would know this if you played any of his games.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom