Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mount & Blade: Now with More Vikings! Thanks DLC!

Morkar Left

Early access... I guess that's 1-2 years development for a m&b mod.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
M&B 2 will be out by then. Can't say I liked Brytenwalda, either.

Indranys

Savant
Oh yes, hell yes!!
I'll give anything for a brand new Brytenwalda!
But please, Make a decent shieldwall mechanics this time! And the kingdom micromanagements need overhauls as well.
My god spears and shields are never boring to me.
Dammit don't disappoint me team Brytenwalda!
:bounce:

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
i don't know how to feel about this. on one hand you can raid christian settlements and skullfuck their priests, on the other infantry combat is seriously fucking clunky.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Interesting.

I always liked Brytenwalda. A stand-alone would be interesting and hopefully they'll improve on aspects like religion.

The only right religion in Brytenwalda is Celtic Paganism. You versus everyone.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Best news of this year for me. Brytenwalda is not only my favorite mod for M&B, I believe it's THE most favorite mod of all times. I've never spent as much time playing a mod than in this one.

Didn't know about that DLC before either. Thanks, man!

The only right religion in Brytenwalda is Celtic Paganism. You versus everyone.

Double this one!

Eyeball

Arcane
Prophecy of Pen0r and The Last Days are both ten times more enjoyable than Brytenwalda, which is a boring LARP simulator that has too many blades, too few mounts.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Prophecy of Pen0r and The Last Days are both ten times more enjoyable than Brytenwalda, which is a boring LARP simulator that has too many blades, too few mounts.
Who needs mounts when you can shieldwall? PoP is faceroll simulator. Much like vanilla, but with elves and scit.

Multi-headed Cow

but with elves and scit.
I'm still pissed there wasn't a bigass fantasy M&B Warband mod. Even for vanilla the only one I heard of that was any good was that LotR mod. Where's some silly D&D mod with wizards shitting fireballs and trolls that get back up unless they take fire damage and all the orcs you can eat? Pendor doesn't cut the mustard.

Really hoping Mountain Blade 2 adds more to the strategic and RPG layers. Keep it a big sandbox, not saying turn it into a sandboxy RPG, but give the "Not hitting people with swords" skills a little more love. The combat portion of the game is already really good, make it so the non-combat bits are better. More town/kingdom management options, more diplomacy and talking to lords, more/better random/dynamic quests from NPCs, etc.

Luka-boy

Arcane
but with elves and scit.
I'm still pissed there wasn't a bigass fantasy M&B Warband mod. Even for vanilla the only one I heard of that was any good was that LotR mod. Where's some silly D&D mod with wizards shitting fireballs and trolls that get back up unless they take fire damage and all the orcs you can eat? Pendor doesn't cut the mustard.
There's also the Warhammer Fantasy mod, which is pretty big with most major factions (except Vampires, surely just to piss me off) and some minor ones in it.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/warsword-conquest
I don't know if it has mages in it, though.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Fantasy mods all happened in the early MnB days. There was the (imaginatively titled) Fantasy Mod by HighElf - you could ride boars and bears and other creatures, there were orcs, elves etc...very standard stuff.
Then there was RPG mod (yeah, also a bit on the nose. Made by Yoshi, who also made the brilliant Pirate mod) which had some REALLY cool enemies (even giant tentacled monsters that actually attacked with the tentacles), a story and dungeons. Also Story mod (the fuck was it with oldschool MnB mods' names?! :D), which had, surprisingly, a story to go through. (Winter who made this eventually wrote all the lore and dialog in Mount and Blade itself)

There were several necromancy-focused mods, one of which (Light and Shadow? Something of the sort) was ported to Warband. And there's a Wheel of Time mod, even for Warband, with magic and stuff.

(and of course, the above mentioned The Last Days, a LOTR mod I've done art, sound and design for, currently still being sort of developed on Warband.)

Shannow

Waster of Time

Lemming42

Arcane
Anyone remember a mod for the original M&B called The Wedding Dance? Had some of the most bizarre stuff I've ever seen in any videogame ever.

As for Brytenwalda, I mostly remember going crashing to the ground while trying to walk backwards and falling into the abyss during ship battles. It was impressively ambitious, though.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Anyone remember a mod for the original M&B called The Wedding Dance? Had some of the most bizarre stuff I've ever seen in any videogame ever.

As for Brytenwalda, I mostly remember going crashing to the ground while trying to walk backwards and falling into the abyss during ship battles. It was impressively ambitious, though.
Come on, ships were fixed pretty quick. As for falling - yeah, what of it? It is actually a nice little feature and very realistic too. When you're walking backwards during melee fight in some sort of field, among rocks, tree trumps and whatever, you're no doubt gonna fall eventually. You don't fall while going forward, right? I hope they will leave it in new project too.

Shannow

Waster of Time
It's fucking shit gameplay, that's what's wrong with it ;)
It's really astonishing how often modders decide to include unfun features for the sake of "realism" or "historical correctnes"... *shrug*
Anyway, they made it a toggable option in the version I played. Still didn't like Brytenwalda when I played it.
Phantasie and Prophesies of Pendor were the mods I liked most on my recent mod binge. Sadly both have features that I really like that the other mod does not have and whithout which I didn't want to play (automatic recruiting for castles and towns in Phantasy and battle AI in Pendor). *sigh*

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
What interested me most about Prophecy of Pendor were the difficulty spikes in the form of small, strong mobs led by extra-tough units and also massive roaming armies commanded by heroic conquering leaders, especially the randomness in how those hordes are formed over time (composition, prisoners, which faction or other horde they're devastating etc). Those armies can number in the thousands, what a pity Battle Size changer (or the engine) has a limit of 1,000 units, I think my OC'd i7 could be pushed a bit more.

Plus the music in PoP was majestic.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Can't say if you people are serious or just trollin. How can one choose PoP GAMEPLAY over Brytenwalda's? Sure, PoP has its moments, like, err, setting? And soundtrack maybe. But gameplay? This is just another faceroll sim, fucking nobrainer. It may be fun to start, especially if you're not familiar with the mod - you'll be challenged for some time. But then it is litterally the same as vanilla. Fucks, I'd rather play ANNO mod that PoP.

Brytenwalda never gets easy and that's the best part about it. You can't make doomstacks or at least keep them for long. Mistakes in battles are punishing as hell. The sieges are complex. The AI is fucking smartass. The combat actually FEELS real and gives you adrenaline injections every time your shieldwall clashes with enemy's. Not like "press X to heavy cavalry win". You constantly think about right positioning and time your regrouping during long fights.

PoP is nice and all, especially for some people. It's bright and has ton of features, sure. But M&B is primarly about combat - PoP combat sucks.

Shannow

Waster of Time
You can't make doomstacks or at least keep them for long. Mistakes in battles are punishing as hell. The combat actually FEELS real [Walk backwards. It's fun...not. Like mounted combat? Well, tough. Now spend your time in "the shield wall". Item balance was also shit, IIRC.].
Brytenwalda is nice and all, especially for some people. It's dark and has ton of features, sure. But M&B is primarly about combat - Brytenwalda combat sucks.
There. Easy answer.
I don't especially like PoP, BTW. I just really like that AI battle behavior is not just rush the enemy and allows some time for formations and positioning. It has some other nice features. I like some of the themed armies, for example. Fighting a 2000 doomstack of rabble was fun. In troop and item balance as well as availability of high level troops it's a worse offender than vanilla. *shrug*

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
IIRC the battle AI behind Brytenwalda and PoP is partially the same, or at least built on the same template. (TLD also uses a heavily modified version of the PoP AI, written by SaxonDragon)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom