Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mouse Cursors

Morbus

Scholar
I see this screen (http://www.irontowerstudio.com/images/newGui3.jpg) and I see the windows default mouse cursor. So I have to ask: will the game have custom mouse cursors? No custom mouse cursors is something I really hate in games, because they break the immersiveness of the game (I'm serious). More than pretty graphics and whatever, I want to feel I'm playing a game rather than running a program. So, please, pretty please, put in some AoD mouse cursors ok? And maybe make an option to switch bewtween hard and software cursors? Maybe that's asking a bit too much...

Jedi_Learner

Liturgist
Care to post some ideas on what would be a nice cursor for the game?

What sort of cursors are you looking for? Loading cursors, like a Hourglass that inverts when the top is empty or a spinning cursor of the Age of Decadence logo similiar to the one in the action RPG game Silver? A sword in a scabbard outside of combat that becomes unsheathed during combat?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Not quite. We need something more elegant. Something that would actually work with the aiming cursor.

cardtrick

Arbiter
This is a strangely hard thing to think about. I mean, I like Elhoim's sword alright . . . but it is kind of hard to fit it into the whole "percent chance to hit certain body parts" thing. The Fallout crosshair pointer that you guys are using now is certainly effective, and it doesn't really bother me, but on the other hand it is clearly out of place. The obvious solution of using an archery target style bullseye instead of a gun style crosshair turns out to look pretty stupid (I just played around with it for a while), mostly because there's just no way to make the center transparent while still retaining that archery target look.

Two possibilities come to mind:

1) Use a sword like Elhoim designed for melee weapon targeting, and a fletched arrow for ranged weapon targeting. In each case, the sharp tip of the weapon cursor should be the point on the screen that you want to interact with, and the percent chance to hit should just show up next to that tip in a color that matches the weapon icon closely enough that they look like they belong together. It's not perfect, but it's definitely not anachronistic like the crosshair is, and it's still clear exactly which point you're trying to click on.

2) Use a completely abstract cursor that matches the functionality of the Fallout crosshair, but not the look. For example, a cursor that looks like the letter "X" with an empty hole in the center, textured and colored to match the rest of the interface. This way, you still have the effect of a crosshair, and again it's totally clear which point on the screen you wish the target (the empty center of the X). I may draw up an example of this later on, although I'm sure Elhoim could do it far better if it seems like a good idea.

GiordanoWC

Novice
If it's possible to program two different cursors for Melee & Ranged, you might be able to create a stylized kopesh or gladius for melee and perhaps the iron sights of a crossbow for ranged. I'm not sure how "Thematic" it'd be, but at least it may be a start.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Vault Dweller said:
Not quite. We need something more elegant. Something that would actually work with the aiming cursor.

Heh... I like the sword cursor, but I think it would fit better in a japanese game with small cute sprites...

jeansberg

Liturgist
It definitely should be a target in my opinion. Maybe a bronze sight or something else that meshes well with the rest of the interface.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Let´s see...

From the top of my head I can think of 3 different cursors:

Normal
Target

What do you suggest for each one?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Elhoim said:
Vault Dweller said:

Heh... I like the sword cursor, but I think it would fit better in a japanese game with small cute sprites...
Exactly.

Normal
Target
I suggest leaving the target cursor as is - it may not be the best cursor for a "Roman" game, but it's the best target cursor that doesn't require any explanation or guessing. Besides, it's an homage to Fallout.

Now for the normal cursor, I suggest a gladius symbol, done in the style of the target cursor. Try a red outline of this:

gladius_tn.jpg

Or something like this (you can try both an outline and "full color" in all its rusted glory)

P8114043.jpg

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
For loading, you can't go wrong with a spinning hour glass.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom