Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Mouse Cursors

Discussion in 'Iron Tower Studio' started by Morbus, Jul 26, 2007.

1. Morbus Scholar

Morbus
    I see this screen (http://www.irontowerstudio.com/images/newGui3.jpg) and I see the windows default mouse cursor. So I have to ask: will the game have custom mouse cursors? No custom mouse cursors is something I really hate in games, because they break the immersiveness of the game (I'm serious). More than pretty graphics and whatever, I want to feel I'm playing a game rather than running a program. So, please, pretty please, put in some AoD mouse cursors ok? And maybe make an option to switch bewtween hard and software cursors? Maybe that's asking a bit too much...

^ Top  
  2. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    It will be changed, of course.

^ Top  
  3. Morbus Scholar

Morbus

^ Top  
  4. Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Developer

Elhoim
    Care to post some ideas on what would be a nice cursor for the game?

^ Top  
  5. Ander Vinz Scholar

Ander Vinz
    gladius

^ Top  
  6. Jedi_Learner Liturgist

Jedi_Learner
    What sort of cursors are you looking for? Loading cursors, like a Hourglass that inverts when the top is empty or a spinning cursor of the Age of Decadence logo similiar to the one in the action RPG game Silver? A sword in a scabbard outside of combat that becomes unsheathed during combat?

^ Top  
  7. Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Developer

Elhoim
    Something like this?

[​IMG]

^ Top  
  8. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Not quite. We need something more elegant. Something that would actually work with the aiming cursor.

^ Top  
  9. cardtrick Arbiter

cardtrick
    This is a strangely hard thing to think about. I mean, I like Elhoim's sword alright . . . but it is kind of hard to fit it into the whole "percent chance to hit certain body parts" thing. The Fallout crosshair pointer that you guys are using now is certainly effective, and it doesn't really bother me, but on the other hand it is clearly out of place. The obvious solution of using an archery target style bullseye instead of a gun style crosshair turns out to look pretty stupid (I just played around with it for a while), mostly because there's just no way to make the center transparent while still retaining that archery target look.

Two possibilities come to mind:

1) Use a sword like Elhoim designed for melee weapon targeting, and a fletched arrow for ranged weapon targeting. In each case, the sharp tip of the weapon cursor should be the point on the screen that you want to interact with, and the percent chance to hit should just show up next to that tip in a color that matches the weapon icon closely enough that they look like they belong together. It's not perfect, but it's definitely not anachronistic like the crosshair is, and it's still clear exactly which point you're trying to click on.

2) Use a completely abstract cursor that matches the functionality of the Fallout crosshair, but not the look. For example, a cursor that looks like the letter "X" with an empty hole in the center, textured and colored to match the rest of the interface. This way, you still have the effect of a crosshair, and again it's totally clear which point on the screen you wish the target (the empty center of the X). I may draw up an example of this later on, although I'm sure Elhoim could do it far better if it seems like a good idea.

^ Top  
  10. GiordanoWC Novice

GiordanoWC
    If it's possible to program two different cursors for Melee & Ranged, you might be able to create a stylized kopesh or gladius for melee and perhaps the iron sights of a crossbow for ranged. I'm not sure how "Thematic" it'd be, but at least it may be a start.

^ Top  
  11. Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Developer

Elhoim
    Heh... I like the sword cursor, but I think it would fit better in a japanese game with small cute sprites...

^ Top  
  12. jeansberg Liturgist

jeansberg
    It definitely should be a target in my opinion. Maybe a bronze sight or something else that meshes well with the rest of the interface.

^ Top  
  13. GhanBuriGhan Erudite

GhanBuriGhan
    I'd go for something abstract, a simple cross or star design in bronze or iron.

^ Top  
  14. SimpleComplexity Arbiter

SimpleComplexity
    i concur.

^ Top  
  15. Gosling Liturgist

Gosling
    A multiheaded dick for aimed shots.
    And a rusted spearhead for everything else.
    (Or just a textured customized cursor arrow)

^ Top  
  16. Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Developer

Elhoim
    Let´s see...

From the top of my head I can think of 3 different cursors:

Normal
    Target

What do you suggest for each one?

^ Top  
  17. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    Exactly.

I suggest leaving the target cursor as is - it may not be the best cursor for a "Roman" game, but it's the best target cursor that doesn't require any explanation or guessing. Besides, it's an homage to Fallout.

Now for the normal cursor, I suggest a gladius symbol, done in the style of the target cursor. Try a red outline of this:

[​IMG]

Or something like this (you can try both an outline and "full color" in all its rusted glory)

[​IMG]

^ Top  
  18. OldSkoolKamikaze Arcane Patron

OldSkoolKamikaze
    Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    For loading, you can't go wrong with a spinning hour glass.

^ Top  
  19. Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Developer

Elhoim
    Let´s see... What do you think of this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

^ Top  
  20. Jedi_Learner Liturgist

Jedi_Learner
    A lightsabre? :wink:

^ Top  
  21. Claw Erudite Patron

Claw
    Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
    How about a hand for the standard cursor?

How about a sundial?

I think a sundial would be cool and very original.

^ Top  
  22. Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Developer

Elhoim
    Yeah, it was too thin. :D

Check the other one. But I'm still not 100% sure about it...

^ Top  
  23. kingcomrade Kingcomrade Edgy

kingcomrade
    Swords cursors are more appropriate for Warcraft. I would go with a simple wedge shape, textured for rust if you want.

^ Top  
  24. Vault Dweller Commissar, Red Star Studio Developer

Vault Dweller
    No, the outline only. Make them transparent inside.

^ Top  
  25. Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Developer

Elhoim
    [​IMG]

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)