Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Munchkinism vs. RP

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by luj1, Jun 28, 2019.

?

What's your playstyle?

1. I am a munchkin (powergamer)

2. I am a role-player

3. I walk the middle ground

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. luj1 You're all shills

luj1
    On a scale where 0 is pure role-playing and 100 is pure munchkinism, my personal playstyle typically falls anywhere within the 60-80 range.

Both extreme role-playing and extreme munchkinism can ruin the fun, imo.

• When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Shadenuat Arcane

Shadenuat

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. AwesomeButton Cut a deal with the authorities Patron

AwesomeButton
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Munchkinism in actual RPGs, RP in story-driven interactive movies.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Button Button x 1
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Chippy Liturgist

Chippy
    Everyonebody gonna roleplay faggottism for BG3...

Show Spoiler
    You were expecting a serious answer to this age-old question?

^ Top  
  5. Prehistorik Educated

Prehistorik
    7 is the most picked number by humans when they attempt to randomly choose between 1 and 10.

• Informative Informative x 10
    ^ Top  
  6. Lyric Suite Converting to Islam

Lyric Suite
    Whenever i pick up a new RPG, i spend a lot of time studying the system, looking up strategies, planning the "best" characters, and all that jazz, but once i set down to play i disregard all that and go for full RP.

I think its fun to discover and plan power gaming builds but not so much to play them. The only exception is games that almost require powerful builds not to be frustrating, like Icewind Dale in HoF mode, or stuff like Diablows.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Maxie Der Einzige Patron

Maxie
    role-playing?? you mean you read text in games wtf

• Funny x 3
    • Despair x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. nikolokolus Arcane

nikolokolus
    In a CRPG I'm about 99, in a PnP game I'm about 30.

^ Top  
  9. luj1 You're all shills

luj1
    For sure but to a degree imo. It happened to me many times that extensive metagaming sapped all the fun. Sometimes we plan too much instead of being spontaneous and playing, just like in life.

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  10. frajaq Arbiter

frajaq
    Roleplay/~~my immersion~~ with the protagonist, and always get powergame-y with companions to carry the protagonist if necessary (it's rarely necessary because RPGs are easy as fuck these days)

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. lukaszek the determinator

lukaszek
    not if you role play illiterate

• Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. mondblut Arcane

mondblut
    On a scale where 0 is pure role-playing and 100 is pure munchkinism, I am 101.

• Salute Salute x 5
    • incline incline x 4
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. HeroMarine Irenaeus

HeroMarine
    Only 3 other people voted like me :(

^ Top  
  14. undecaf Arcane Patron

undecaf
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    If the game actually supports it in a meaningful way (and there are not a lot of those games, most games tend to be built around munchkinism one way or another), I roleplay. But I munchking that character/party by what ways it can based on the theme and intent.

So, I suppose 40-60 where that's applicable. Otherwise I just play the way the game feels fun, and usually munchkining 100% isn't very fun for me.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. SniperHF Arcane

SniperHF
    Here's how I approach things:
    My character is a rogue or thief (or other class) so it will do rogueish or theify things generally but I'm never going so far as to create some non-existant backstory or personality for this character and try to do everything possible to live out that crap in the game itself. Within the confines of my character AS it's written out on the page and the dialog/gameplay options presented in game, I'll do what is most obvious or optimal in terms of being able to complete the task but I'm also not pouring over the character stats to make sure I have the best possible min-max.

I don't think trying to pick the best or most effective thing is munchkinism as such. To me actual munchkinism involves some level of theory-crafting at a minimum.

AoD is an easy example because the results are super extreme. If you're munchkining AoD there's 3 ways to go. The "hybrid" see all content path which requires massive amounts of trial and error. The kill everything approach which requires serious thought into your combat build choices. And the optimal diplo approach which while easier does require specific choices in creation and level up and it must be optimal to get the most out of it.

Where as if you're role playing AoD, there are times where you would outright have to choose suboptimal dialogs and potentially ( or probably ) even lose the game just cause you're "role playing". It's like playing to intentionally lose the game, it's dumb. Most games just don't punish you to this extent.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. HeroMarine Irenaeus

HeroMarine
    AoD is possibly the best game to roleplay. Losing (i.e. having one char dying) is part of the game.

^ Top  
  17. Tavernking Don't believe his lies Shitposter

Tavernking
    Roleplay on the first run until I hit a road block. Then it's powergaming all the way baby

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Salute Salute x 2
    • Rage Rage x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Funposter Scholar

Funposter
    About an 80. I would always like to have a build and pick choices that are relatively optimal, but I'm willing to spec into some things that aren't the best for the sake of ~fun!~. Like picking Seduction or Intimidation over the normal Persuade in Bloodlines, if it fits the build - it's not the best, but it's kind of neat if it fits the idea of the character in your head. In the same vein, I am happy to build characters or use classes that are recognised as being subpar (think playing a pure Mage in Morrowind, or something) but I will then powergame with them as best as I can, to make them less shit.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  19. Yosharian Cipher

Yosharian
    It's very misleading to propose that powergaming and role-playing are in direct opposition to each other.

They aren't. Picking choices that are sub-optimal isn't role-playing. Do it if you wish, but don't jerk yourself off in my face and tell me "Look pa, I'm role-playing!"

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. what am i doing Learned

what am i doing
    How is building an effective character somehow mutually exclusive with roleplaying? Seems like some retarded tabletop mentality where they get mad at people who think about their build and put a bit of effort in.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Cael Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Cael
    Actually, you are a fucking idiot.

1. Powergamers are not munchkins, the main difference being that powergamers work within the rules to come up with nasty combinations. Munchkins will violate the rules or have "creative" interpretation of the rules in order to "win".
    2. Making a powerful character is not mutually exclusive to roleplaying. If that is the case, we won't have Olympic champions in real life but have a bunch of robots instead.
    3. You are nothing but a butthurt dramafag who loves attention but can find none because your blind, crippled Int 6 wizard character with a 40 page backstory keeps getting outshined by others at the table.

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. PapaPetro Novice

PapaPetro
    Depends on if it's a dungeon crawl or a fully fleshed out narrative campaign.

^ Top  
  23. lukaszek the determinator

lukaszek
    69 is perfectly balanced answer

• Funny x 2
    • Excited! x 2
    • Balanced x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Saerain Scholar Patron

Saerain
    These "umm por que no los dos retard" replies are perplexing in response to a question that didn't propose incompatibility and in fact advocated for enjoying the compatibility...

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. what am i doing Learned

what am i doing
    The poll itself and the first post both imply it's a scale, which means that, for example, if you want to be more storyfag, then that means you're less concerned about optimizing your build and vice versa. Which is a retarded premise. How does roleplaying detract from your ability to build your character properly? How does building your character properly detract from your ability to roleplay? It's not a scale from one to the other. Build optimization and roleplaying are not mutually exclusive, you don't have to decrease one to increase the other.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)