Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden Released

Jinn

Arcane
I actually prefer more focused games than 80 hour long experiences filled with filler and trash content.

I thought we as a community agreed that Bard's tale IV, to use a recent example, would actually be better if they removed redundant areas and made the game more focused (and shorter).

But I guess that we are so used to games being 40-80 hours by now that some of us (not me) can't go back to games of quality content instead of quantity.

Even 30 hours would be enough to justify a purchase for me. Hell, even some solid replayability like different faction paths, or vastly different builds, would justify it for me. 15 hours just feels like dipping my toes into something like this. It doesn't feel like a full enough experience to satisfy me for a game of this type. For a straight up FPS, action, or a metroidvania game for example, 15 hours would be fine by me, because those types of games lend themselves to a tighter experience. All I'm seeing with this game is that people feel like it ended right when it was getting started. On that note, just because I want my RPGs and tactical games to have some length, does not mean I relish in "filler content." But generally games with ongoing meaningful character progression and rewarding exploration have plenty of substantial content for me to fill my 40-50 hours with.

I'll grab it someday and more than likely enjoy it. I just don't want to pay full price for such a short game. You can feel free to buy a copy for me if you want to support the devs right now though ;)

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
15 hours when you do almost everything is just not enough to warrant the $35 price tag for me, especially when there is minimal replayability.
I actually prefer more focused games than 80 hour long experiences filled with filler and trash content.

I thought we as a community agreed that Bard's tale IV, to use a recent example, would actually be better if they removed redundant areas and made the game more focused (and shorter).

But I guess that we are so used to games being 40-80 hours by now that some of us (not me) can't go back to games of quality content instead of quantity.

You have a good point.

And thanks to you I remembered what I wanted to mention in the review above: all the maps are hand made and all the loot is hand placed. There is no procedurally generated stuff as in nuXcom.

This makes exploration very fun and satisfying as each map has it's own personality (some locations are tied in with the story). The same cannot be said about nuXcom's sterile maps which essentially were procedurally generated combat environments (lacking any story).

So, basically you have quality content with low-replayability (MYZ) compared to bland content with high-replayability (nuXcom).

Still the game is too short and, considering the fact that most people spend 15 hours for a full playthrough, I would say that the appropriate price is like 15 instead of 30+ potatoes.

Last edited:

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
While it smells like SJW mentality - Bearded Ladies huh, with almost Zero - huh - men there, game looks decent.
The only thing that worried me is that camera is centered on character, and you can't see all the loot from afar, so you need scour the map with low placed camera centered on moving character, which for me resulted in light headache after watching letsplay of this game... Flashlight only makes things worse.

Andhaira

Arcane
The name of the developer studios is 'The Bearded Ladies'? Really??

Anyhow its based on the MY0 rpg by Fria Lagan (who also made Coriolis and the recently released Forbidden Lands) so it definitely intrigues me. But the no char gen is a turn off.

Anyone whose playing this, is the game well optimized, or is it more Unity shit?

Darkzone

Arcane
I have only watched a playthrough. And while its look and feel is more than decent its combat is very repetitive. I was bored after few hours watching the fights. Nevertheless it is very nice and if it is on sales (50%) i will definitely buy it, just for the sake to support this freak show.

Falksi

Arcane
Really like the look of this. Will wait until the usual patches, DLC & tweaks have been made & added then grab in a year or so.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom