Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Turn-Based Tactics Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden - now with Seed of Evil expansion

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Yeah after watching footage its confirmed:

- Game is a shitty clone of nu-xcom games with less tactical and strategic options and less resource management.

I suppose if youre into furries it might be worth checking out.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
And those players will have some challenging options: by default there's no permadeath in battle, since these characters have story attached to them, but permadeath will be an option.

Seems like they want to have their cake and eat it. The game is either designed for permadeath or it isn't, and it clearly isn't.

Maybe "permadeath" just means you get a game over.

Mustawd

https://www.indiegraze.com/2018/04/08/interview-mutant-year-zero-road-to-edens-mark-parker/
Interview: Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden’s Mark Parker
on April 8, 2018

As a child of the ’80s, the notion that a team of anthropomorphic animals must work together to vanquish evil feels like second nature, and in The Bearded Ladies’ Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden, players guide an unlikely trio through post-apocalyptic terrain in the search for answers. With FUNCOM on board as the publisher, I chatted with studio producer Mark Parker.

Erik Meyer: MYZRTE guides players through XCOM-inspired turn-based tactical combat, with mutations, specialized equipment, and unique character abilities leading the way through a post-apocalyptic setting, so from a mechanics and an experience POV, what aspects of the project set it apart from games with a similar perspective, and as designers, how do you go from solid assets to a well-oiled machine?

Mark Parker: Whilst of course there are comparable elements to XCOM and other tactical games, we wanted to stand out from the crowd somewhat by incorporating a solid feeling of adventure, not just a succession of tactical encounters. Therefore, we have a real-time element that allows the player to employ stealth and a certain degree of pre-planning before entering combat, and the transition between real-time and tactical gameplay is smooth and dynamic. It’s about giving the player a choice of how they tackle each situation (something we know about from working on Hitman) and also allowing them to explore the rich world we have created. Regarding the process of making it a slick-feeling and satisfying experience, it’s mainly down to playing, tweaking and playing some more. In addition, Rui (CEO of FUNCOM) is a hardcore player of tactical games, and he regularly gives us feedback regarding difficulty, timings, visual cues, etc.

mutantyearzero_3.png

EM: Long before the announcement of MYZ as a videogame, the pen-and-paper RPG already had a devoted following, so can you speak to the bridge between what you’re doing and the traditions it comes out of? Additionally, what expectations come with a universe that people already know and love?

MP: Well firstly, it’s impossible to please everyone, and whilst the temptation was there to add a lot more of the RPG elements from the books into our game, we knew that attempting to replicate a pen and paper experience in a videogame is never really going to satisfy everybody; by its very nature, a pen and paper game is a very free-form social experience where (besides the core ruleset) the players’ imaginations are literally the limit. So we decided to make a tactical adventure game set within the rich world from the books, and we felt that this genre fit the universe nicely and that there is a certain degree of ‘dice rolling’ in this type of game. As for the universe, we try to make sure everything we include fits well with the books; there are obviously some things we wanted to explore or add that the books don’t cover entirely, so there is a small amount of ‘artistic license’, and many of the team members have been long-time players of the Mutant games, so they also keep to canon.

EM: In the gameplay footage that has been released, devs spoke to characters misunderstanding history, so a statue of a high school mascot might be mistaken for a demon, for example. As the game’s narrative has developed, how do you see the setting informing the storyline, and what other things have come from this process that either surprised you or provided depth to the culture of the PCs?

MP: The idea of everyday items or locations from our ‘current’ age being misconstrued by peoples living far in the future is very appealing. We tried to avoid ‘obvious’ humor in the dialogue in favor of more ironic moments that would entertain the player but be deadly serious from the characters’ perspective. A good example of this irony is early on in the game where Dux and Bormin discover a functioning ‘Boom Box’ radio and naturally misinterpret it as a bomb. The ghouls are also supposed to talk and act quite a bit differently than the mutants; there is a good reason for this which we won’t go into at this time.

mutantyearzero_4.png

EM: In the 1980s, Mutant, After the Bomb, Gamma World, Road Hogs, and various other RPGs speculated about post-apocalyptic scenarios in which mutated humanoid animals would live and struggle to find meaning, so what do you see as the inspiration for the inclusion of near-human creatures in these varied wastelands? Was it simply a safe way to explore Cold War paranoia, or do you see something else at work?

MP: I think this is more of a question for the folks over at Fria Ligan (The Free League) as they run the pen and paper side of things, and as you mention, it’s been a recurring theme over the years, which was taken a bit further with the Mutant: Year Zero Genlab Alpha rulebook and campaign. I guess that having something a bit more than just haggard ‘Mad Max’ humans in the post-apoc world was a good way to diversify character types and classes even further.

EM: The game’s cinematic trailer and gameplay footage show off the project’s assets and polish, so as you fine tune and add Easter eggs, how do you maintain fresh eyes, even while looking at bug fixes, balance issues, and optimization across different hardware configurations? Which things eat up the most time?

MP: Fresh eyes are always hard to find internally, especially when the team has been working on something for quite a while. We do encourage our friends, families, contractors, and QA to give feedback on anything they wish. Balancing is probably the most time-consuming process; it takes a lot of playing through, analyzing, and tweaking, and we generally bugfix as often as possible to avoid the ‘avalanche’ of bugs piling-up for the end of the project that other development teams need to deal with. Regarding optimization, based upon prior experiences on projects at other developers (which shall not be named), we have been very mindful of performance and how troublesome it can be to get a PC game running and looking good on all platforms. In fact, we have a number of machines with comparable specs to current gen consoles that we refer to frequently. Lastly, regarding Easter-eggs, with substantial Easter-egg experience from the HITMAN games, I personally feel that a game without at least a couple of Easter eggs is not worth shipping.

mutantyearzero_2.png

EM: The ability to sneak takes an important role, rewarding reconnaissance (such as characters covertly resetting a robot to factory programming and pitting it against everything in its path); as devs, what other play styles do you find yourselves creating rewards for, and how do those styles in turn effect narration and the game’s overall arc?

MP: Absolutely, the stealth aspect has a big part to play in creating the outcome of the ensuing battles; of course, some players will still march right into the middle of the camp and all hell will break loose, so we try and give people an enjoyable experience however they choose to approach a situation. Having satisfying mechanics is key to this, and the way the tactical combat works can feel really rewarding, even if the odds are pitted against you. Learning how the different classes of enemy act and how you can deal with what looks like an impossible situation is a puzzle which can make you feel really great if it all pans out. We often play the game together with a beer or two, and it’s enjoyable to discuss the tactics as a group. For the most part, the story arc is not affected by how good or bad you are at the game, although there are hidden areas, scenarios, and items that you will discover if you explore the world.

EM: I’m interested in the connection between The Bearded Ladies and FUNCOM, in terms of coordination, resources, know-how, etc, so as entities with established cultures, how do you interact, and in general, as you add and balance game elements, what do those decisions look like, from a team perspective?

MP: FUNCOM is our publisher, and naturally they are really invested in the game, but apart from a regular weekly sync, they mostly leave us alone to do our own thing. However, as mentioned earlier, Rui Casais (FUNCOM’s CEO) is an avid tactical gamer who finds time to play the game quite frequently. He follows each play session up with a list of feedback which Lee (Game Director) and I discuss with him. There is also a group of hardcore tactical players at the FUNCOM offices that Rui has threatened to unleash upon the build very soon, so there will be a lot of solid feedback for us to run through. We have an extremely good relationship with FUNCOM, and it’s good to know they have our backs; they also develop games themselves, so there are ways in which they are able to help us in certain situations. Plus, the Marketing team have been doing a fantastic job!

mutantyearzero_1.png

EM: Like cartoon characters, having animal-based protagonists means the audience will anticipate personality traits, such as Bormin having a short temper or Dux having a silly disposition. As the game progresses, real dilemmas will put surface traits to the test, so what freedoms and added benefits come with the beastly aspects of the squad, and what writing hurdles do you have to overcome?

MP: We really wanted to avoid the completely stereotypical approach of making them cartoony. In fact, during dialogue recording, we had to re-take a number of Dux’s lines, as he had too much of a ‘Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles’ vibe that kinda made him sound goofy. These are serious characters who are trying to scrape a life together in an incredibly dangerous world. That being said, we do have a bit of banter between the characters during the game which lightens the mood somewhat. One thing that John Zurhellen (Writer) said in one of our initial meetings was that he wanted to be able to take a script, hide the character’s name, and for people to easily identify which character is speaking just from the written line, and I think that has been achieved.

Mustawd

How low Codex has fallen that this nuXCom clone is in General RPG Discussion but Jagged Alliance 2 threads are in "tactical"...
Seriously, WTF ? Whose the moron responsible for all this nonsense ?

It's not a tactical game, so it's not a nuXOM clone. It's an actual rpg based on an old PnP system that just happens to have XCOM-like combat.

ArchAngel

Arcane
How low Codex has fallen that this nuXCom clone is in General RPG Discussion but Jagged Alliance 2 threads are in "tactical"...
Seriously, WTF ? Whose the moron responsible for all this nonsense ?

It's not a tactical game, so it's not a nuXOM clone. It's an actual rpg based on an old PnP system that just happens to have XCOM-like combat.
You are a hilarious idiot, on one hand you are claiming that Disco Elysium is not an RPG and on other hand you are claiming this Xcom clone is an RPG.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
on one hand you are claiming that Disco Elysium is not an RPG

It's not.

on other hand you are claiming this Xcom clone is an RPG.

I know next to nothing about this game. I'm just mentioning generally why it's in this forum.

You are a hilarious idiot,

Why are you being an ass?

EDIT: Why don't you explain why this is an XCOM clone and not an RPG?
What is a RPG?

ArchAngel

Arcane
on one hand you are claiming that Disco Elysium is not an RPG

It's not.

on other hand you are claiming this Xcom clone is an RPG.

I know next to nothing about this game. I'm just mentioning generally why it's in this forum.

You are a hilarious idiot,

Why are you being an ass?

EDIT: Why don't you explain why this is an XCOM clone and not an RPG?
Have you watched any of the gameplay videos?
Only difference between this and Xcom is that you don't travel to missions from your upgradeable base but find them through random paths in forests and shit. Then you basically enter Xcom type maps and fight almost same Xcom enemies using almost same Xcom abilities and follow almost same Xcom rules of combat.

Mustawd

Only difference between this and Xcom is that you don't travel to missions from your upgradeable base but find them through random paths in forests and shit. Then you basically enter Xcom type maps and fight almost same Xcom enemies using almost same Xcom abilities and follow almost same Xcom rules of combat.

I watched bits and pieces with the sound off during work breaks. But didn't know it was that restrictive. that does indeed sound like XCOM.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
:hmmm: I moved this thread out of GRPG days ago, what the fuck are you even arguing about

(moved not because of muh definition of an RPG bullshit, but because the devs continue not to call it one)

ArchAngel

Arcane

I watched bits and pieces with the sound off during work breaks. But didn't know it was that restrictive. that does indeed sound like XCOM.
They even got a NOT-SECTOPOD that almost looks same as one and even got same attack that charges up for one turn and then blasts everything in a line ... anyone that claims PP is a Xcom 2 clone should be put in front of this game and forced to play it for 7 days without a break.

Saduj

Arcane
So default characters but what is the level of customization? Is it full customization of attributes/skills from the start? Or just a "choose from two abilities on level up" type of thing? If this is leaning towards the latter, I might be giving this one a pass.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Somehow it feels like character based narrative shooter but the combat happens to be turn-based.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member

https://www.pcgamesn.com/mutant-year-zero-road-to-eden/mutant-year-zero-stealth-combat

Mutant Year Zero adds Metal-Gear-Solid-style stealth to its ducks-in-XCOM formula

Mutant%20Year%20Zero%20Road%20to%20Eden_0.jpg

“There's a tradition in Swedish roleplaying games of ducks being a character class, so this is a little nod to that,” Mark Parker, producer for The Bearded Ladies, says. He’s discussing Dux, the top-hat wearing giant mallard in Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden. Dux, along with a brutish talking hog called Bormin, make up the animal leads in this tactical RPG, and signal from the start that this is a different kind of isometric roleplaying universe.

“In one of the expansions for the Mutant pen-and-paper game there was the introduction of anthropomorphic characters, and we found those to be an interesting character to use rather than just a standard soldier,” Parker explains. “So we picked some cool animals to make into characters for the game... There will be at least one additional animal mutant in the roster of unlockable characters.”

Dux and Bormin are joined by Selma (a stone-skinned human), and the trio make up the party used for Mutant’s E3 2018 playable demo. While it’s only a tiny slice of the game - a single combat encounter - the demo reveals the punishing difficulty level, and how the inventive blend of real-time exploration with turn-based combat lays the foundation for a great isometric stealth game.

At first glance, Mutant Year Zero could be seen through the same lens as Divinity: Original Sin, or the Shadowrun games: the world is explored in real-time, and entering turn-based combat is a seamless transition that lays gridlines over the environment. But while the broad setup is familiar, the intricacies are not. There’s an emphasis on stealth; enemies in the world walk along patrol paths akin to Metal Gear Solid foes, with a radius around them highlighted to warn you of their detection field. Get too close and they’ll initiate battle, calling on their nearby allies to rush in and decimate your tiny team.

To avoid this, you are equipped with silenced weapons, the ability to hide behind corners, and a handy ambush mechanic. Get your team into position, wait for an isolated grunt to walk into your trap, and then a tap of the spacebar will begin combat and allow you the opening moves. With any luck, you’ll be able to quietly elminate them without alerting anyone else, and continue to rinse and repeat the tactic until the zone is clear of foes. There’s a little of Invisible Inc.’s rhythm to this, and that’s no bad thing.

As with all turn-based tactical games, positioning is of paramount importance in Mutant Year Zero, something I quickly discover as Bormin is riddled with bullet holes due to being left in an awkward position at the end of my turn. The Mutant universe offers more options than just rusty guns, though; powers can really help you gain the edge in the battle for prime locations.

“We've got moth wings, stone skin, and one mutation where you can control the trees nearby and wrap their roots around enemy legs,” Parker says. “I really like the super jump. You can jump really far across different areas, up to high points to get a good vantage point.”

When combat does explode and get messy, these powers are the elements that can help turn the tide. Like in XCOM, buildings are perfect cover in Mutant Year Zero, but a well-placed grenade can blow open walls and expose the thugs within. There’s no better vantage point from which to hurl an explosive than flying high above the battlefield thanks to newly-sprouted moth wings.

The E3 session demonstrates a robust combat system, and the stealth aspects offer a new angle that hasn’t really been explored in isometric RRGs before. But I found myself wanting to know more about the world and characters, and at current I am unsure if Mutant Year Zero will deliver as strongly on these elements.

Mutant%20Year%20Zero%20Road%20to%20Eden%20combat.jpg

“In tabletop games, your imagination is literally the limit to what you can do, so we can't really do all of those features 100% justice,” Parker says when I ask about the challenges of translating a pen-and-paper RPG into a videogame. “So we made a tactical game where it’s a bit more of an adventure tactical game, rather than a one-to-one RPG, because that was a very difficult thing to emulate. We knew our limits from the start and we worked with those to make an enjoyable game that I think everyone who likes the pen-and-paper game should also find enjoyable.”

While I’ve not played the original pen-and-paper Mutant RPG, I have played Shadowrun and Dungeons & Dragons, and found that, predominantly, the enjoyment of these games comes through exploration of the world and social roleplaying, as opposed to combat. As such, I do wonder if Mutant Year Zero being what is largely a turn-based tactics formula will fulfill the existing fanbase’s wishes. Parker informs me that while the game has side areas, there’s a single story thread to follow, suggesting the game is a mostly a linear tactics game rather than an RPG in the traditional sense.

Yet, despite suggestions that it won’t directly translate the experience of the original game, I still find Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden interesting. We don’t have many tactics games that are story focused, and this rusted, animal-run future seems a great setting for one. The real-time stealth ensures that there’s an additional, thoughtful layer, and one that encourages a very different experience than what is offered by XCOM.

The top-hat wearing duck is still the reason I’ll be playing, though. There’s no feature more fascinating than that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom