Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline MWO is finally dead.

Out of all three of those points I would say that only the last one is usually upheld. The first two is modus operandi in the gaming industry and you should be cynical since a lot of studios has been inconsistent with their history.
To do otherwise doesn't make any sense to me. Blaming customers directly for your own faults isn't just misguided, it's basically insulting the people who keep you in business to begin with. Why would you ever do such a thing, if you are relying largely on the good will and faith of players to survive? Promising things you can't deliver is also common sense - the worst thing is to get someone's expectations up and let them down. Assuming you aren't grossly incompetent, you should have some sort of plan, firm release dates and schedules for things, etc., and it's not that hard to avoid saying anything specific until you have something specific to say.

And if game publishing was as competitive a market as game development, companies that did that would go out of business. But it isn't, and as the industry structure means that and decent-size developers' core market are the publishers instead of the players (regardless of whether the developer wants this to be the case or not), it spreads the lack of competitiveness down to a consumer level:-(

While the explosion left nothing in its wake, a similar milder version from another time (and place) can be found here.

In fairness, that tumblr is more indicative of the CoD fanbase than anything else. Lie down with fleas, don't be surprised when those fleas erect tumblrs demanding that you be raped and burnt alive while demonstrating an amazingly poor grasp of spelling and grammar.

Leimreу

Novice
Last time I checked, Hawken was a horrible pile of unfinished garbage with its only notable feature being the fact that it managed to be worse than MWO.
Explain the difference as I tried both and MWO sucked worse then Hawken of which the former got slightly more time played then MWO.
Last time I checked, Hawken was nothing more than a brainless shitty arena shooter with robot skins. At least MWO had some tactical elements to it and actually forced you to think, especially if you were the drop commander of an 8-man team.

Dr Tomo

Learned
Last time I checked, Hawken was nothing more than a brainless shitty arena shooter with robot skins.
Well it was meant from the ground up to be a cod mecha game and now they are enjoying the rewards of a decent size player base.

At least MWO had some tactical elements to it and actually forced you to think, especially if you were the drop commander of an 8-man team.
Well it looks like the player base isn't spending as much $$$ as the Hawken player base and so things will change for the better aka got to go for that Hawken Jew gold.

J1M

Arcane
Last time I checked, Hawken was a horrible pile of unfinished garbage with its only notable feature being the fact that it managed to be worse than MWO.
Explain the difference as I tried both and MWO sucked worse then Hawken of which the former got slightly more time played then MWO.
Last time I checked, Hawken was nothing more than a brainless shitty arena shooter with robot skins. At least MWO had some tactical elements to it and actually forced you to think, especially if you were the drop commander of an 8-man team.
They are both terrible. Mechwarrior will never feel right with a mouse and keyboard.

These games necessitate a proper joystick or steel battalion controller.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
IIRC only MechWarrior 4 got fan software needed for using Steel Battalion controller. But it was years ago since I checked that.

Anyway

2OTtpxH.gif

Dayyālu

Arcane
Any mech games I can run on windows 7 except for MMOshit?

Heavy Gear 2 and MW3 don't work, tried everything.

Earthsiege 2 and Starsiege SHOULD work on 7 with a bit of tinkering. But sadly, they're quite light on the "simulation" side. I like them, even if they're average.

Maybe the Gog version of the Biowarean horror known as Shattered Steel works on 7. G-nome worked the last time I've tried it, but as always my memory is a mess. Maybe I tried it on a XP machine.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Any mech games I can run on windows 7 except for MMOshit?

Heavy Gear 2 and MW3 don't work, tried everything.

Earthsiege 2 and Starsiege SHOULD work on 7 with a bit of tinkering. But sadly, they're quite light on the "simulation" side. I like them, even if they're average.

Maybe the Gog version of the Biowarean horror known as Shattered Steel works on 7. G-nome worked the last time I've tried it, but as always my memory is a mess. Maybe I tried it on a XP machine.
Or just take it like a man and get a console, and embrace From Software's gentle caress.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Also Mechcommander and Cyberstorm games (I dunno if they work, but you can try).

Cyberstorm 1 does not work on 7 without a virtual machine, as far as I can remember. Cyberstorm 2 is a ugly mess (good ideas in theory, terrible execution). Never tried it on a 7 machine, it's a small loss.

Mechcommander 1&2 should both work on compatibility mode.

Or just take it like a man and get a console, and embrace From Software's gentle caress.

While I do agree on your widely publicized opinion that Heavy Gear 2 is a better game (and simulation) than any of the Mechwarriors or -siege games, racial purity is far, far more important than that.

(WHY NO ONE IS HEARING OUR CRIES OF PAIN! WHY THE Master Race Platform HAS TO SUFFER SUCH!)

chestburster

Savant
Illiterate
Last time I checked, Hawken was nothing more than a brainless shitty arena shooter with robot skins.

I've never bought the idea of mechs as giant slow walking tanks.

However, 10-feet tall agile mech suits with rocket jumps seem quite plausible for future urban warfares, especially in tight corridors where tanks will have difficulty to maneuver.

And Hawken nailed that perfectly.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2

I've never bought the idea of mechs as giant slow walking tanks.

However, 10-feet tall agile mech suits with rocket jumps seem quite plausible for future urban warfares, especially in tight corridors where tanks will have difficulty to maneuver.

And Hawken nailed that perfectly.

Said like a true newfag...congrats for being a total fuckwad.

Destroid

Arcane
So... it's still around. Clan mechs came out earlier this year, looks like it might actually be playable these days with more maps and objectives. No idea how they balance clan stuff vs IS stuff though.

Anyone playing it?

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2
It sucks balls. The devs suck. Everyone hates them. They tried to start a game through crowdfunding called Transverse which is a Star Citizen ripoff and they have made $10000 of their $500,000 goal that already got cut down from a million and they are 20 days into it with 10 days left. They say they will refund money if it doesn't make it.

https://transversegame.com/

Riel

Arcane
Can I necro this thread once more? Ooooops looks like I already did.

Jokes apart news about MWO's demise were premature it is JAN 2020 and it is still running and live, that's 8 fucking years already, which as far as most MMOs go makes MWO one of the most successful MMOs in history and the sad part about it is that if you think about it it is true, lol.

It does seam like it is going to be over soon though, this week NGNG's contract was terminated and MW5 sales must be already dwindling so all bets are about the gaming being shut down in the near future, still if it is so it will still be one of the most lasting MMOs.

So if you want to have some PvP Battlemech action this might be your last chance to do it.

The game's state currently is a bit odd though, Player base is more stupid than ever and nascar is more rampant than ever, on the other hand balance is pretty good as MWO goes, even if a bit in the boring side of it. The balance is a lot better in the weapon systems because there are mechs that are plainly better than others, but as long as you are sensible about it you can play Cannons, lasers, lrms, mrms, srms, racs, atms and they all have a reasonable place. Also playing Faction Warfare, while unpredictable, I think is the better experience you can get. It only runs decently in peak hours but at least there's no nascar there.

Norfleet

What's "nascar" in this context? People who just turn left a lot?

Papa Môlé

Arcane
I mean, in hindsight, it's not really all that surprising that a bunch of neckbeards wearing 80s nostalgia goggles would turn out to make a pretty shit game.

Battletech has never been a great game, like many "old school" boardgames from that era. It was just the only game in town, and so won by default, if you wanted to fight with stompy robots.

Riel

Arcane
What's "nascar" in this context? People who just turn left a lot?

In MWO nascar is about that, yeah, turning left. The thing is since most mechs have most weapons on the right side people have a tendency to try to flank the enemy on the right side, of course the enemy has a tendency to do the same so many Quick Play games devolve into a contest of who runs faster flanking right and kills the enemy's stragglers faster. It's fun the first 20 times or so, the 567 time you've done the same you are very sick of it.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom