Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

My Fallout 3 impressions.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
I just finished my first playthrough of Fallout 3 (little over 25 hours) and decided to give my impressions on it. Here we go. Big fucking post.

*** I'll start out with one of the things Fallout is most famous for, NPC interaction. It's actually not half bad in this game. In fact, it's just like in the previous games. Granted, the writing in Fallout 3 is rather mediocre. However, it's possible to say the wrong thing and completely piss a person off. Sometimes they'll attack you for it, or sometimes they'll refuse to speak with you causing you to miss out on any possible quests they could have given you. Character often have a lot to say, sometimes giving you history about the location you're at, gossip about anything that's been going on nearby, etc. Every character that I met had their own personality. None of those mindless droids like in Oblivion that would just repeat the same lines over and over ("the hero of kvatch").

There are many Speech skill checks in this game. Your fears can be put to rest, it's most definitely not a dump stat. It actually comes in handy during many conversations. You can use it to convince NPCs to give you more information than they normally would have, there's the classic option of asking for more money (which thankfully isn't considered bad in this game), and a lot of times you can use the skill solely to complete quests.

For example, in Megaton there is a woman writing a survival guide who requests your aid in helping, sending you out on tasks to help get survival tactics to put in it. It is entirely possible to complete all of these tasks...without even doing them. Leave her house for a few days, come back, and then lie to her. If you pass the Speech check she'll believe you and you'll complete the quest without having even done it.

Do that though and you'll forfeit any bonus rewards; many quests have optional objectives for you to do. Another part was with the guy Burkes. On a second character I made, a female, I chose the Black Widow perk which gives unique dialog options when talking to opposite sex. It gave me a speech check for Burke, allowing me to convince him to leave Megaton alone without having any blood shed. Nice.

I was able to convince a Ghoul named Gob to also give me a password to his boss's computer. I was able to get the info I needed by sneaking to the computer instead of paying the boss a shitload of money for it.

Sometimes you'll be given a unique dialog depending on what certain SPECIAL attributes are placed at. Unfortunately, only sometimes are they good. A lot of the Intelligence checks are just simply a line stating the obvious.

*** Skills. I'll start with combat skills. They work in a way very simlar to Deus Ex. Higher the skill, the more accurate and damage caused. Not too much of an improvement in the accuracy department though. Just like in Deu Ex you can still easily hit with weapons you aren't trained in but the damage dealt with them will be really low. No combat skill is worthless. It's entirely possible to be the game using nothing but melee or your bare hands if you want.

However, with a high sneak skill you can avoid large amounts of combat. There were multiple danger zones that I got through without firing a single bullet. Enemies in the dungeons travel on a scripted patrol route so just like in Thief it's possible to scout their route and then sneak on by when it's clear. Stealth boys come in handy too but I only ever found three of them during my playthrough. Lockpick isn't broken in this like in Oblivion. It still has a minigam that you can master through trial and error, however if you want to pick higher level locks you'll need to raise your skill. Same goes for computer hacking.

Barting lowers buy prices and raises sell. Repair fixes damaged equipment and determines the starting condition of equipment you find. Doctor and First Aid have been combined into Medicine and it only increases the effects of stims and chems; you can't just simply use the skill on the field like in past games. However, there was one time when I was able to identify the cause of death for some victims thanks to my character's medical knowledge. There are many instances like that for many skills.

SPECIAL attributes hven't been changed, they act the exact same way as in the older games.

*** Perks. Some are good, many are useless. The best ones are the ones that add unique dialog checks, which makes NPC interaction even better, such as the Black Widow perk. Some though are completely useless and others cheap. Most perks just simply give boosts to your skill set. One perk that has multiple levels allows you to put another point in SPECIAL. No idea how many levels there are though, but I got four of them before some actual good perks became available. Many perks also are rewards for completing quests.

Bloody Mess is fucking useless. Enemy bodies will explode into tiny pieces, making it a pain in the ass to loot them. Plus, the gore in this game just looks ugly. Don't take the perk and occasionally you pop a head off but that's it thankfully.

*** Combat. A mixed bag. Not bad at all, but not all that great. Just like in the past games taking targeted shots increases critical hit chance. However, there will always be a chance to miss. If you don't use VATs you're critical rating is lower but you'll rarely ever miss if you get the crosshairs on the enemy. Sneak criticals were for me always an instant kill, and in sneak mode accuracy is slightly incresed. VATs doesn't completely stop time, just slows it down so you can still be shot when your character takes his hot. The slow motion cutscene thing is annoying though. Often if you kill an enemy the camera will continue to stay on him showing him falling in slow-mo. Meaning you're not able to keep focus on the other enemies. While the camera stays on the dead guy other enemies can be blasting your ass off screen. Annoying as hell; slow-mo can't be turned off.

Speaking of guns, ammo is weird in this game. It isn't scarce like Todd said it was but you run out of it rather fast. Enemies can sometimes take a good fucking deal of punishment. However it's easy to replenish, and all ammo is weightless so you can just haul around a fucking shitload of different ammo types and a couple of weapons and be good to go. Melee weapons like the powerfist and ripper and such no longer require ammo to use.

*** Exploration. Just like in Oblivion. There is a quest compass, however it doesn't ever tell you if you're on the correct floor or nearing your objective like Oblivion's. It just simply points you in the right direction. Can't be turned off. Also like in Oblivion there are timy blips on the compass that you can head towards that help finding locations. Fast travel is in too. Red blips appear on your compass to represent enemies. The higher your PER, the faster they appear.

Almost every dungeon area is unique and not copy/paste. The only ones guilty of that were the subway tunnels but that' to expected really since there's not much you can do to make those totally different from another. There aren't too many though. I was able to make it through a great deal of the dungeons using stealth, and rarely had to engage in combat while in them. You can't do that outside of them though, since enemies seem to just appear randomly then.

I thought the environments were pretty good. There's the big ruined city of DC which I thought looked very nice though it's dangerous to explore for low level characters because there are many enemies hiding out in the buildings with sniper rifles and rocket launchers. There are a lot of interesting places to find in the ruins though. Outside of the city though things are rather ugly. A few burnt out copy/paste houses here and there, but mainly just rocks and empty landscape. This is also where mole rats like to roam. Mole rats spawn like Morrowind cliff racers in this game. Annoying.

Towns are well designed though. All of them seem to be designed with defense in mind; an improvement over the last games which had towns with houses just thrown around randomly that could have easily be overtaken by raiders, like the Den for example.

Well, that's it. Good as the old games? Not by a fucking longshot. Better than Oblivion? Much better. A good game to play? I'd rate it slightly above average. It turned out far more enjoyable than I had expected.

If you've any questions about the game ask and I will answer. :)

Texas Red

Whiner
Sounds good :cool:. From what I've seen this game is worth picking up(which I will if I'll ever upgrade). The bad after taste of Oblivion will taint the experience though. If FO 3 would be released after Morrowind I believe the reaction would be more positive.

Mr. Teatime

Liturgist
Thinking about it, it IS one of the finest games of this generation. Compared to other recent CRPGs - it beats Bioware's offerings (the skill checks and C&C are miles ahead), it's better than the Gothics, better than the Witcher (these last two mainly because of the terrible translation).... so, yeah.

Fat Dragon

Arbiter
entertainer said:
How do you feel playing one of the finest games of this generation?
I'm liking it quite a bit. Already replaying it and I've already discovered different ways to complete quests than I did on my last play. It's a good game but the flaws I mentioned can really bring it way down at times, especially the VATs slow-mo.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
fuckingf3kd7.jpg

JrK

Prophet
One thing I'd like to add though is the nature of quests, which you seemed to have only referenced with the 'writing is mediocre' comment.

Writing is fucking mediocre to bad... It's so bad that it's extremely jarring. A few examples of things that just don't make sense:

-The woman for the Survival Guide quests... She's as annoyingly cheery and over-the-top non serious that I can't imagine any post apocalyptic society not having killed her and left her for the molerats right away. Bethesda humour at it's finest...

-The scientist with the fire ants wants to give you his fucking LABCOAT as a reward. SERIOUSLY? What do I care about a freaking labcoat? Here I am, in dire need of a) clean water b) ammo and c) stimpaks and this idiot thinks I'm okay with getting a labcoat? The only reason you'd want it is because you as a player know it gives stat bonuses... But it just doesn't make any sense and it destroys my enjoyment of the game.

-You disable the bomb in megaton and talk to some child to get your reward. Except that the boy magically knows right away you did your job and starts praising you for it before you've said a thing.

So while quests may feature skill checks and other good RPG fare, the nature of the things make me cringe and completely destroy any fallouty feel this game might have. I'm interested in a melancholic post-apoc world in which the struggle for survival is key. And that sense of a haunting atmosphere just isn't there because of the silly stuff mentioned above.

elander_

Arbiter
I would buy this game if not for Karma. I believe Beth devs really tried to make a Fallout game, but there are different levels of understanding about what is a Fallout game there. The worst level of understanding comes from Todd and his violence is fun, toilet humor and nukular cars. I don't think Emil would have chosen the Karma path but he wasn't the only one designing the game, that's for sure. If it wasn't for the use of Karma good/evil barometer there would be a lot more freedom to write good characters and great dialogs.

Hory

Erudite
JrK said:
-The woman for the Survival Guide quests... She's as annoyingly cheery and over-the-top non serious that I can't imagine any post apocalyptic society not having killed her and left her for the molerats right away. Bethesda humour at it's finest...
Pretty much.

-The scientist with the fire ants wants to give you his fucking LABCOAT as a reward. SERIOUSLY? What do I care about a freaking labcoat? Here I am, in dire need of a) clean water b) ammo and c) stimpaks and this idiot thinks I'm okay with getting a labcoat? The only reason you'd want it is because you as a player know it gives stat bonuses... But it just doesn't make any sense and it destroys my enjoyment of the game.
Maybe because he's not a) an engineer, b) a soldier or c) a doctor. He gives what he has. Why should he care what you want? You don't have to take his offer. You also neglected to mention that he additionally gives you a vaccine.

You disable the bomb in megaton and talk to some child to get your reward. Except that the boy magically knows right away you did your job and starts praising you for it before you've said a thing.
Well, if you're going to be so picky, how do you know he wasn't watching you from the window?

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he who, in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of the darkness. For he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know I am the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon you."

I been sayin' that shit for years. And if you ever heard it, it meant your ass. I never really questioned what it meant. I thought it was just a cold-blooded thing to say to a motherfucker before you popped a cap in his ass. But I saw some shit this mornin' made me think twice.

spectre

Arcane
@OP just got it too, played a bit, and I must say I don't share some of your enthusiasm. But I would agree with the verdict so far.

As to the writing, either it improves later on, or you have much lower standards than I do.

I agree with ammo - you get too much, and on top of that, somehow guns eat it up way too fast. This is due to stuff such as the smg and assault rifle not having a firing mode selector for vats - burst length can only be controlled in real time firing. It's moronic both by current FPS an by SPECIAL standards.

So Speaketh Him, and So It Is Written (or QFT, JrK). That biatch made me turn on the subtitles (which appear on the center of the screen... why?) so that I can fast-click through her blabbering.

Some other annoying things - npcs who don't die. A "kewl" leftover from oblivlol. It actually can happen to you when you leave the vault - you can attack the overseer's daughter, drop her, and after a few seconds she gets up and pretends nothing ever happened. short term memory loss due to blunt trauma? Ten times in a row?

"Magic" clothes which increase your skill. While with a bit of good will I can justify some of them, like a mechanics overalls could have some small tools in the pockets, so the +5 repair may be justified, but an armored vault suit which gives +5 to small guns is just wtf.

The radio. Might have been a cool feature, but isn't. Am I the only one who thinks if something is worth implementing, it's worth implementing good? I am too jaded to hope there are a more radio stations out there with beter signals. The va is bad, the playing time is way too short. Now is GTA level too much to ask for? And they had around 9 stations there. Some/all were cheezy, but at least I could listen to those without flinching or turning it off at second loop.

Kingston

Arcane
I lack the wit to put something hilarious here
The writing really does kill it for me, too. I just can't shrug the idea that this is supposed to be a sequel to Fallout, not Beth's own made-up post-apoc universe.

All the time I'm comparing it to Fallout and each time the distance between the two is like the distance between the earth and sky.

Why I am even playing, I think I'd rather just replay Fallout/2.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Well yeah, most of the writing is silly, over-the-top or just plain retarded, but I try to see it not as a Fallout game but more like a Bethesda game, and as such, it's definitely a step in the right direction for them. It's better than Oblivion, a lot better, and it exceeds my expectations. I just hope they stay on that track [skill-checks, skills actually matter etc] and the next Elder Scrolls game will be a step upwards from Oblivion, too.

Paska

Novice
I actually enjoyed playing the game, it's no fallout but it's fun.

Also i changed all the game music to the ones from fallout 2(this can be easily done, all FO3 music is stored in the data folder) so i guess that helped a bit.

The ending sucked though, imo.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Fat Dragon said:
It gave me a speech check for Burke, allowing me to convince him to leave Megaton alone without having any blood shed. Nice.

This sounds kind of ridiculous to me.

So we have a guy who wants to blow up a city, because of 'certain interests', and after the said explosion doesn't even shrug, and he just *leaves* with a peaceful 'knp', just because some totally unknown woman told him to?

riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Starwars

Arcane
That's a problem with the game. It's great that Beth implemented skill checks this time around (and there are quite a few) but the execution and/or writing is often very iffy.

I collected a bobble head... nothing unusual you might think... untill it gave me 1+ to strength... nothing unusual you might think.... since it`s made by Bethesda. I have to agree with the writing comments including those big ass console fonts, their intern dialogue editor is probably designed like the early SMS system where you had a very small character limit. I turned off the dialogue subtitles, so i don`t skip it because i read faster than they speak and then i go "Ok. boring. skip. blablabla. skip. click question. blablabla. skip". Also i experience a lot of crashes, makes it almost unplayable.

DiverNB

Liturgist
I found the non-linearity of the game to be very very cool.

In the main quest, you eventually have to go to a different vault to retrieve something. Doing so, you have to go to little lamplight which is a cave, and then navigate to a secret vault entrance. Only problem is, the place is run by children that won't let you in.

You can either A pass a speech check, or B go save there friends from slavers.

I failed my speech check, and had to go to the slavers.

Upon getting to the slaver town, I had another few options. A Speech check against the guard, letting me into the slaver town. B Bring slaves in for access, or C open fire. I figured at the time I was just going to end up having to kill people anyways, so I opened fire, and went into the town. I found out that the town was actually a fully functional town that you didn't have to destroy.

Pretty good in terms of branching paths and such, very enjoyable.

Also, A LOT of the content feels more hand placed and each place you visit seems to have it's own story, much more interesting than the Oblivion dungeons. There are computers to hack for information, skill checks to pass with other skills, etc.

I am actually a fan of the gore in this game, I think it looks pretty good when you blow someones head into pieces.

Dialogue is often very hit or miss (most often times missing), and combat can sometimes feel like a chore.

Not half bad game, I believe it is better then anything Bioware has put out since KOTOR

Hory

Erudite
Paska said:
I actually enjoyed playing the game, it's no fallout but it's fun.

Also i changed all the game music to the ones from fallout 2(this can be easily done, all FO3 music is stored in the data folder) so i guess that helped a bit.

Fuck, I didn't even know the game has ambient music. I just listened to the radio stations all the game. I'm listening to it now and it sounds good enough, and definitely more atmospheric than 24/7 speech & 40's music. Sigh.

vrok

Liturgist
Mr. Teatime said:
Compared to other recent CRPGs - it beats Bioware's offerings (the skill checks and C&C are miles ahead), it's better than the Gothics, better than the Witcher (these last two mainly because of the terrible translation).... so, yeah.
No, no and no. No. It really isn't. Intentionally dumb isn't better than translated dumb in any way. Especially when it makes the dialogs even more retarded.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom