Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

My Pretty Sims

Fez

Erudite
I AM THE PUPPET MASTER!

*cums*

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Otaku_Hanzo said:
Like when you have a Sim clean the fish tank. If they have a low Cleaning skill, there's a good chance they will cause a leak. The higher the skill, the lesser the chance, but it's still always there. Also, their mood is factored into this as well as the complexity of the situation. The more complex the subject or the pissier the mood your Sim is in, the higher the chance of failure.

I always liked repairing electrical stuff in a bad mood with a low mechanical skill. Odds are better you'll be electrocuted and die.

I really love the aspirations aspect of the game. It can make for some challenging combinations. For instance, make a Sim with Romance Aspiration, but make them shy and serious. Talk about a challenge. Holy mother of baby jesus! :shock:

Shit. Try a teenager with fortune aspiration. Most of their wants are things like "Earn $500", "Get in to College", "Get in to Private School", and a bunch of other nearly impossible things for a newly created teenager. The whole time they get all the drawbacks of the teenager - fun dropping fast, homework, and so forth.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Yay! I made a dorm!

oldsilodorm.jpg

Isn't it cool? Yeah, that's right. It's cool.

Naked_Lunch

Erudite
It needs a pool on the roof with some black guy who serves you a fruity drink with an umbrella in it. But, yeah, it's hella cool.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Actually, the cafeteria cook in the game where I'm testing the dorm is an old black guy, but he serves random stuff. :D

Here's the second story:

oldsilodorm2nd.jpg

The student rooms are in the round corner things, one per floor. The rooms just have a single bed, the cheapest mirror, and a desk with a chair.

I tried not to go overboard and make UBAR DORM with everything you could ever want so there's no reason to move out, but the second floor has:

• 4 student rooms
  • Three showers per gender with gender separation
  • Two torn up, ratty sofas
  • Two low end TVs
  • Two dart boards
  • Two computers and desks
  • Two chess boards for LOGIC RAISING
  • Three eisles for CREATIVITY RAISING
  • Six trashcans. :D
  • Two main stairways to the lower floor
  • Four small stairways to the ground

The first floor:

oldsilodorm1st.jpg

• 4 student rooms
  • Cafeteria which serves six plates of food at a time. Cafeteria has:
    • 3 sprinklers
    • Large fridge
    • gobs of counter space
    • Dishwasher
    • Sink
  • Two dining tables where 16 sims can do homework, eat, whatever
  • Two toilets per gender, also separated
  • One bookshelf
  • Three large, ratty couches
  • Six more trashcans :D
  • Two large plants
  • Two swing sets outside(Not shown)

So far, everything seems to work out. Here's the odd thing, though. Before I made the thing a dorm, it only rented for $25k. Eight teenagers with several scholarships each could have bought the thing had I not made it a dorm.

EEVIAC

Erudite
You made a bunker, Saint, not a dorm. It kind of reminds me of that burglary-proof house you made (which was also a bunker.) Why are the ground floor rooms "airlocked"? Why not just use all the space in the silos? Its still neat though.

Fez

Erudite
It's a cross between the "industrial look" and a military outpost. The style is fairly fashionable now, so Saint could pobably get that built somewhere. :D

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Not bad, Saint. I haven't messed with making a Dorm yet. Just got done building a $250,000 single bedroom home though for my rich bachelor. :P The landscaping alone was over $100,000. I get carried away with that shit. Looks nice though. I'll put up some screenies later. Right now it's bed time.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
EEVIAC said:
You made a bunker, Saint, not a dorm. It kind of reminds me of that burglary-proof house you made (which was also a bunker.) Why are the ground floor rooms "airlocked"? Why not just use all the space in the silos? Its still neat though.

Because I was laying out the structure for the floor and then went, "Oh shit! Dorm rooms can only have one door!" My original idea was that the dorm rooms would take up all that space, which would have worked on the ground floor, but not the second floor.

Fez said:
It's a cross between the "industrial look" and a military outpost. The style is fairly fashionable now, so Saint could pobably get that built somewhere.

Actually, my custom town is called "Happy Canyon". It's a pre-ghost town mining town. Basically, the town lived on the aluminum mine and when the aluminum ore ran out, the money dried up. Most of the people I made for the town are trying to leave there, but they don't have the money or some other crazy reason for sticking around.

When I decided to finally make a custom university for it, I got to thinking about the silly ass back story I made for the town and I decided that the best idea for them having a university is that they converted the old mine buildings in to a campus. That's why everything is brick, concrete, and iron looking in the building. For example, this is the athletic center:

waterreclaim.jpg

Basically, the goal of the campus is to lure in people to teach them how to leave the town or bring in the funding they need to leave town.

Fez

Erudite
At one time I could only imagine the horror of a town created solely by the minds of the Codex, now it seems that reality is one step closer and the nightmare becomes clear.

EEVIAC

Erudite
The strip mine is awesome. It'd be even better if the dorm was surrounded by a pool of poisonous, poluted water.

Fez

Erudite
You could have a competition for who can make the best town. Have a town plan layout and then a close up of the main buildings. :)

The strip mine is pretty neat. I like the concept of the town too.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Well, I got struck by the University bug and all my shit got corrupted. I hadn't installed any new stuff or anything. Just tried loading up my games and CTD. Backed up my games, installed and reinstalled, loaded up fine. Put my saved games back in and CTD. No fucking clue why. Spent all day looking around for an answer too. I had some sixth generation families too. :cry:

Ah well. No University for me until Maxis can work out the kinks.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Fez said:
You could have a competition for who can make the best town. Have a town plan layout and then a close up of the main buildings.

I'm not sure I'd be much competition. I really don't have much in the way of planning. In fact, the whole Happy Canyon backstory was filled in after I just doodled around trying to figure out how to make a neighborhood. The idea of making the university for the town out of the mine was a decision that came after I hit the "Make Custom University" button.

The strip mine dorm was basically me thinking, "Hey, wouldn't a strip mine housing dorm be cool?" I didn't have a plan for the building other than it needed to be in a pit. So, I made the pit. Then I made a few random foundations and built three floors on top of them. The only thing I knew was the smaller towers were going to be the bedrooms.

Then I tried stretching a walk way out to the edge of the pit and it wouldn't line up. At this point, I also noticed I didn't make much room in the main building for internal stairs. So, I had to make external stairs, so I decided the modular stairs were the way to go because there wasn't a lot of room between the wall of the pit and the building, and you kind of need to use the extensible stairs for those situations anyway.

That doesn't really matter much, because the building is supposed to look like a converted industrial building. All that outside railing and catwalk stuff just sort of fits in with the theme, which is why I left in the columns and other things most people would remove when they make moldular stairs. The actual truth is that nothing there was planned, and most of it was just improved on the fly. Most of the thought process in that building was, "Well, I have this.. And I have this.. Now how do I get this and this to work together without having to redo a bunch of shit." :)

Otaku_Hanzo said:
Well, I got struck by the University bug and all my shit got corrupted. I hadn't installed any new stuff or anything. Just tried loading up my games and CTD. Backed up my games, installed and reinstalled, loaded up fine. Put my saved games back in and CTD. No fucking clue why. Spent all day looking around for an answer too. I had some sixth generation families too.

Uh? What's this University Bug you speak of? And how do you back up all your stuff?!

Sol Invictus

Erudite
Saint, backing up your stuff in Sims 2 is easy. Just copy your My Documents\EA Games\Sims 2 directory. specifically Sims 2\Neighbourhoods

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Exitium said:
Saint, backing up your stuff in Sims 2 is easy. Just copy your My Documents\EA Games\Sims 2 directory. specifically Sims 2\Neighbourhoods

Yeah, I found it last night after a little searching. Happy Canyon is 81MB rar'ed, by the way.

Otaku_Hanzo

Erudite
Well, it's a live and learn situation. Apparently alot of people are having problems like mine. Some of them had solutions that worked for them, but none worked for me. I'll be installing University again with a clean install of Sims 2 (no custom families or neighborhoods) and then go from there and see what happens.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom