Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

My soft criticism of Underrail.

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Isn't min/maxing by an experienced player supposed to make a game easy ?

If not, it'd mean that any other build would stand no chance at all/have an extremely hard time, no ?

play a stabby/throwy/stealy/sneaky/hacky/talky/psy dude if you want a harder game, fun and challenging :]

Last edited:

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
4. Too much of the game is spent slowly trudging through isometric space.

If the game world wasn't divided into discrete areas, it would've been better. Just load the gameworld in the background like SkyBlivion monstrosities.

Maybe you will like DC. You might hate it because while hard, it is not the level of difficulty you wanted. Damned if you do damned if you don't.

It's not the same level of attrition it was when the game got released. Now everyone knows about the mushroom forest thing, some stuff got nerfed, there are even player-made maps for the whole DC for the so-inclined.

On my first incomplete playthrough I couldn't kill the fucker. Antagonized the faceless out of curiosity, ran out of psi boosters. FML.

ou forgot to mention how this game's economy goes bonkers really fast. I arrived in junktown with ~3k and left with ~150k.

I get more stuff than I can sell. Repairing items before selling them is an economy-breaker. Getting more quality parts/charons for the super steel is a matter of waiting till stuff restocks and selling overpriced useless items. Then the restock time is high as hell. Some areas sell useless quality items till the game's end.

7. I don't mind the lack of a world map but the way that Lower Underrail fits into the caves and tunnels is just whack, areas are more or less connected at random and there seems to have been no effort (or early on planning/vision/foresight) into building a logically connected world.

Caves aren't that bad given they don't connect to the lower underrail. The underpassages connect to distant areas over just a few maps. Going the wrong way toward them.

Yup, the assholish difficulty of unerfed depot A is how the entire game should have been.

Exactly. Though it's hard to implement given the player has multiple quests to choose at a given point.

Sure, deeper crafting system would be cool, its an amazing system and i also wish it had more depth and complexity after the first couple hours when you are still familiarizing yourself with it. Itemization is good, but its not meant to replace crafting, just be a viable, but inferior, alternative.

Maybe. It's not that bad. Is there any automatic weapon with a better combo than shooting speed upgrade and a barrel compensator?[/QUOTE]

Lhynn

Arcane
Sure, deeper crafting system would be cool, its an amazing system and i also wish it had more depth and complexity after the first couple hours when you are still familiarizing yourself with it. Itemization is good, but its not meant to replace crafting, just be a viable, but inferior, alternative.

Maybe. It's not that bad. Is there any automatic weapon with a better combo than shooting speed upgrade and a barrel compensator?
Wouldnt know, i murder stuff with my fists, guns are for the weak.

Jokzore

Arbiter
I finally got around to playing it and my god my eyes hurt. I hate this damn font its so tiny and hard to read, I've already turned up everything i found in the options menu, is there a mod or something to make the UI bigger or change the font ?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Decrease the resolution

and if you want it in a borderless window scaled to full screen:
I actually prefer to play at 1280x720, because I feel it's the right size for Underrail's world. I also want it windowed to update my maps on the fly (I have dual monitors). I use the Windowed Borderless Gaming tool, to make it borderless and scale it to 1920x1080.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom