Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Fangshi

Arcane
On the issue of names:

Well I do have a book of Myth names taken from the game, the names tend to be short and to the point for the Bruig while the Beserks tend to have more ornate names, some examples:

Bruig Names:
Bowmen names tend to be simple and to the point, largely French or English derived:
Jean, Cale, Denis, Matthieu, Guibert, Luis, Roger, Gobain, Philip, Otto, Thomas, Garin, Aubry, Clement, Alvar, Simone, Petrarch, Piers, Francis, Wyclif, Cipolla, John, Jerome, Jaques, Edward, Bartholomew, Walter, Gibouin, Leo, Marie, Victor,

Sell Swords tend to use aliases which have a definite Black Company vibe:
Gape, Lug, Hook, Mook, Punch, Widdy, Rip, Creep, Jape, Jeer, Skite, Rake, Churl, Snipe and so on

It is the magic users that tend to take on slightly more outlandish names, some examples from the book:
Ceannard, Malairt, Admillin, Caithim, Aibistear, Abharsair, Braman, Beitthir, Mairtrighim, Lollard, Gonim

The soldiers of the Legion have more varied names again from the book:
Mauriac, Adalard, Aethelwulf, Curran, Derek, Monago, Ewan, Bran, Edmee, Brawen, Owen, Alyce, Sloan, Nola, Naram maybe not that one, Tristram, Isolde, Gareth

The Beserks/Northerners tend to have names that directly speak to the attributes of the person, from the book we have:
Bran of the Iron Skin, Hervard of the Bloody Stump, Angtyr the Sword Lover, Thyrm of the Mighty Blows, or Thrend Atop the Piled Dead

So those are the basic naming conventions, Northern European or Celtic names with a few other options thrown in, feel free to draw traditional names from any of these areas or browse the Black Company or Conan books for a name or alias. I am willing to let the name vote go on for a while till there is some consensus. So don't worry to much, the early updates simply won't mention the character's name is all.

treave said:

Ok this is now officially a skill, as for the rest, looks good will add it to the list.

Last edited:

Anabanana

Augur
Flopping to Courtesan for my third, might bump it up if it gets more support.

Kipeci

Arcane
Flop to Courtesan for first place (shove evrything else down by one in priority and knock off the Northener vote) I also want a female with the name Harle Thrombe.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This is going to be more grimdark than WH42K, isn't it? :D

To hell with the wizards! Demented and conceited lot, all of them! Everyone knows that it was dorfs that won both wars! Where would the Empire even be if there wasn't a dorf to toss Balor's head into The Gread Devoid?

images

Also, dofrs seem to have a better life expectancy then anyone around them for some weird reason. Might be handy.

1) Inventor
2) Courtesan Prodigy
3) Scavenger Courtesan

As far as the name goes, voting for Commander Shepard Sheepard. Because the author threatened to write Biowarean romances, should we choose it.

Last edited:

Fangshi

Arcane
Nevill said:
Also, dofrs seem to have a better life expectancy then anyone around them for some weird reason. Might be handy.

Oh the reason for that is simple, they are the ones with the bombs... :lol:

The Inventor however is only dwarf-like, he is in fact a human, the reasons for this will be explained if your character chooses plot threads to do with the dwarves but lets just say they have pressing concerns elsewhere.

(Well that or it is simply easier to write from a human perspective... biowarean :decline: at its best.)

Nevill said:
Commander Shepard

Gotta tend to those sheep dont'cha know....:troll:.

Edit: Right updating tally

Last edited:

Esquilax

Arcane
Making new character possibilities is too fun. Here is another idea I had, I think I like it better than the scavenger. I hope it doesn't get buried underneath all the other votes. I guess I'm going to summon some bros up to give it a fair chance. Tigranes, Erebus, Night Goat Elfberserker Kipeci

The Prodigy (Male fits better for this)
Name: Egil the Frail

STR: 3/10 DEX: 4/10 CON: 4/10
INT: 9/10 WIS: 6/10 CHA: 4/10

You had never quite fit in, growing up in the lands of Gower. The hearty Northmen there were known for both their great mirth and their great skill at cleaving a man in two. You were known for a dour demeanor and could barely even hold onto the massive claymores your kinsmen carried into battle, let alone cleave a man in two with it. Your peers mocked and bullied you mercilessly for your frailty, and while you ended up developing a thick skin and a stoic attitude from the abuse, you yearned for an escape.

Your salvation came in the unlikely form of Soulblighter's army. His undead had laid waste to your village to add more to their number as they marched further west. Your bolder kinsmen, aided by a token Legion force, placed you in the rearguard of the defense, seeing you as too much of a liability up front.

As they charged forward to meet the enemy, they didn't spot the wight shambling out of the riverbed.

The wounded were brought back to you and a fur-garbed Southerner with the Legion. Shaking, dismembered, and pus oozing from their festering wounds, you went to work by amputating, applying tourniquets and disinfecting wounds with what you had taught yourself of medicine.

While most of your kin had survived thanks to your efforts, rather than growing fond of you, they became more resentful. As they saw it, you had denied them an honourable death. For his part, the Southerner was in awe of your skills; a skilled healer with no formal training was unheard of in the walled, sprawling city of Muirthemne where he hailed from. As he left, slinging his shovel across his back while returning to his comrades, he urged you to seek him out in the city, should you find him. He was even kind enough to provide you with a book, though you didn't have the heart to tell him you were illiterate.

That was over a year ago. Your journey here has been long and difficult, and you've taught yourself to read in the meantime, but you've finally made it. Now to make a new life for yourself.

Skills: Quick Learner, Herbal Skill, Keen Eyes, Literacy, Language Bruig, Language Berserk
Equipment: 3 Mandrake roots, wool armour, knife

I'd definitely like to play some kind of magic user. I like the sound of "utility spells", those are the best kind of spells.

female
1) Witch
2) Apprentice
3) Scavenger

edit: updated my votes

Last edited:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
What? No deluge of Courtesan votes?!?

1) Courtesan
2) Courtesan
3) Courtesan

Really, sexpert needs to be maximised! We haven't played such a character in a CYOA yet.
Question is, could we be a male courtesan? A proper gigolo? :troll:

Anabanana

Augur
Sex and background votes are separate, so I assume so. I'd be fine with either a male or female courtesan. If it gets enough support I'll bump it over Apprentice to second place for mine.

No jumping on the Prodigy, Azira? This might be your last chance at a Goat Doctor. ;D

Baltika9

Arcane
Flopping my votes:
Remlin Wyllt
Male
1) Prodigy
2) Apprentice
3) Scavenger

Last edited:

Anabanana

Augur
I'm flopping too. Bumping my second place Apprentice down to third place and moving my third place Courtesan up to second place.

Hmm, I think I'll add a new choice as well. I like the "Merchant" because of the interesting past and potential plot hooks, but I'd also like to play a magic user. As I said, utility spells are awesome. Not sure how lore friendly this will be because I haven't got a clue about the setting, so if the answer is "not really", fell free to modify or rule it out. Also, I'm not very imaginative when it comes to writing, so I'll resort to blatant stealing when it comes to the background description - sorry in advance. Let's call this one, I don't know:

The Witch:

Str: 2/10 Dex: 6/10 Con: 4/10

Int: 8/10 Wis: 6/10 Cha: 4/10

Useful Skills:

Literacy, Language Bruig, language ghôl, quick learner, magical training, scholarly knowledge

Equipment:

thick cloak, plain clothes, spellbook, knife

Current Spells:

An assortment of utility spells and a basic attack spell, nothing special.

You pull the cloak closer around yourself as the stranger finishes his tale. You remember the war, you lived it, but from the other side. Unfortunately, for some reason your master picked the wrong side in the conflict. He was not the kindest man, but you served him faithfully. Or maybe that was fearfully. Until one day, the mother of plagues, Shiver marched into your camp at the head of a column of Myrkridia.

And you made the mistake of looking into her eyes...
And you saw the madness and ever so much death and you ran...

In truth you still have not stopped running, maybe here in the capitol of Alric's new Cath Bruig Empire you will finally find a reason to stop. You have no idea what happened to your master but it was probably (and hopefully) nothing good.

Elfberserker

Liturgist
sigh... I guess I must flop since archer isn't winning.
1. Prodigy
2.Northerner
3.Appearance

Fangshi

Arcane
Zero Credibility said:
The Witch
Yeah that can work, there were a bunch of lesser mages on the side of Soulblghter since he was not the best at raising the dead, so it is possible that one or two novices escaped.

If this one wins however be careful, the penalty for practicing the black arts is death, and the Light will consider you a much higher priority than the "merchant" since you have already fallen once. It could be a story of redemption or one of darkness and madness...

It can be option j) though it may be wise not to add too many more backgrounds or you will all just vote for your own and we won't get anywhere. :lol:

I have to step out for awhile and then sleep so if people are going to flop then make sure it is easy to find and read, I will close the polls sometime in the next 12 hours (umm... 18 if I drink too much).

Anabanana

Augur
Ah, looks like the Witch is a combination of the Apprentice and Merchant? Interesting, I think I'll kick Apprentice out of my third place and put the Witch in third instead.

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
a combination of the Apprentice and Merchant
This guy approves:
sb-pregame-22-01.jpg

Anyway, what is the current state of the world and the Empire? I assume that after the victory over Soulblighter's armies the undead were scattered, but their sheer numbers make it impossible to clear the country of them in just a year, so they are still roaming the countryside?

Last edited:

Anabanana

Augur
More flopping: demoting my first place Scavenger to second place and switching my second place Courtesan into first place.

EDIT: I'd be fine with that! :thumbsup:

Azira

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Our man-whore swings both ways, as long as the pay's good, he can love all of mankind. :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom