Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by Fangshi, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Maybe a little but the shards are much larger and thicker, making it more of a maze, and the colouring is different.

It is comprised of massive 'trunks', columns of tinted glass that extend straight upward and end in an explosion of 'leaves' and 'branches' at the top. At a distance these columns look a little like trees and so that is what Derry thought of when she saw it. They are completely smooth though, these glass trees, the only bumps on them are the dead and dying bodies and limbs of the Goddess' followers. They poke through the surface of the glass, all along its edges, like drops of sap beading on the bark of a tree, or wax on a mirror if you would prefer that comparison.

The trees are packed so closely together that they, in effect, form walls. And the only entry cut in this maze that Derry can see sits on the road south. Likely put there by Mazzarin himself.

The whole thing is mostly a mirrored silver but there are large patches of red and black where cultists and demons have been trapped, their bodies punctured by the glass as it was forming. Their blood, red and black respectively, seeped out and coloured the areas around their bodies giving it a different hue.

The glass shards/trees/pillars seem to extend below the surface as the entire thing has sunk into the sand a little. Smoke and assorted (likely poisonous) vapours also waft out of the single entrance and up through the 'branches' and 'leaves' at the top. It is likely that the sand is still cooking in the heart of the structure, the heat trapped, burrowing a hole further into the liquid earth.

You can not be sure but if you had to guess the whole thing is maybe three kilometres in diameter (so about seven square kilometres all told, if my math skills have not horribly failed me ;)).

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    So the road leads straight through that thing?

Can we dig up a tunnel and take toll from caravans passing through? For, ah, sight maintenance or something. Since we are the next of kin to the sculptor and everything. :lol:

Albrecht should definitely consider the whole idea.

^ Top  
  3. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Sure but Mazzarin will want a cut of the money raised.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    What does he need money for?

The man probably can conjure gold out of thin air.

^ Top  
  5. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    He will probably melt it down and use it to tile his bedroom with, maybe the walls too... maybe Cleary as well if the Brannon annoys him...

It is not so much that he needs it, it is the principle of the thing!

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Just a heads up, the vote will close within eighteen hours.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Grimgravy Augur Patron

Grimgravy
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    Yes to heal in the ring for lyssa.
    No to poison weapons for rodents.
    Don't want to pay for another tactician
    Abstain on the rest of the new questions

^ Top  
  8. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Well, if anyone wants the full plan about the rodents, it is as follows:

Enchant their weapons and mount them on the eagles to drop them behind the enemy lines and disable enemy mages.

No one expects the eagles to carry mice. Maybe some would expect them to carry spell rings for a single target spell if TWM told anyone about his demise at Blackrock, but that's it.
    No one expects the eagles to start dropping mice. Letters? Sure. Bombs? Unviable due to weight constrains, but possible. Mice? Haha, no. They'll just fall to their deaths.
    No one expects the mice being able to fly. Because, seriously.
    No one expects the mice to be armed with anything but their teeth. Because, seriously, really.
    No one expects the mice to have a magical training and be able to single out and target mages. Because, seriously, really, WTF.
    No one expects the mice to be able to deal real damage. What is a bite or even a needle sting to a human?
    And even when stung, no one will suspect anything outright as the poison does not take effect immediately.

What this effectively does is that it makes mages go WTF when the mice start falling on them (hence the airborne training started several updates back), then go 'Get it off me!' as the rats land square on their faces, then 'It bit me! Oh God, will I get rabies?' No one will guess this is anything more than a prank to momentarily distract them and seemingly nothing will happen for a minute or two... until the paralysis sets in and people start dropping, but then it would be too late to do anything about it.

It will be my go-to plan to deal with the Watcher's horde if Mazzy takes care of the big threats/undead mages.

Also, it would make rat paratroopers perfect for compound infiltration missions. Drop them over a wall and wait for them to take down the guards. It is so wicked, it's glorious.:love:

Well, even if we don't make rat weapons a constant enchantment now, we can still enchant them later on a case-by-case basis, I suppose.

Fangshi, can our caster mice control and target the magical aphids?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    It would be more difficult for them unless they are working with small numbers or in groups.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    How small are we talking?

How do the aphids work, anyway? Suppose Lys has them. Could she target several mages and send the aphids to feed off them? How many mages are we talking? Does she have to maintain control over the aphids while they fly to their targets or feed? How does she order them to blow up? Is there a maximum range for that sort of thing, just like with our stone? If so, do the targeting range and the 'blowing up' pange coincide?

How different is it going to be if our mice are the ones controlling them?

Can only the caster mice use them (Myrra&Porry), or any of the apprentice ones can, too?

^ Top  
  11. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    2-5 aphids each.

She would need to split them up, she could probably do it in sequence but not in parallel.

To use them? One proper mage.

Target wise? One target at a time since they need guidance.

She would need to direct them.

She would simply point them to a target, they would then do what comes naturally, devour the magical energy and explode when full.

As far as the aphids can fly and as far as the user can see.

No, the aphids will blow up when they overload on energy.

The mice are weaker so it will be harder for them to control the aphids.

Yes, it requires mages and Mirra and Poppy are the only to mice that qualify at the moment.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  12. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    They do? I thought that since you need to give them instructions (about what to do after they get full) at the time of release, you do not have further contact with them.

So you need to direct them to the targets, but can not call them off if you reconsider?

^ Top  
  13. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    They are insects, they will do as told in the simplest terms. If you need to alter their path or change their target you need to supervise them.

It is entirely possible to just let them loose though, they will tend to naturally seek out the biggest source of energy in the area and swarm it.

You need to guide them toward something that will feed them. You can try to change targets once they are loose but you can not completely call them off, they are too hungry for that.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Karwelas Dwarf Taffer

Karwelas
    8. Do you want to make the following adjustments to the character's sheet?
    A. Yes, you make changes (select as many as you want):

i. - arm your third spell ring with Heal instead of Greater Energy Bolt and loan it to Lyssa (so that each of you had means of quick healing)

ii. - arm your mice squad with sharp and pointy weapon and enchant them with Poison Oath to make them capable of taking down a person.

Adding to my votes.

^ Top  
  15. Grimgravy Augur Patron

Grimgravy
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    Temporary enchant would be better. By a little. I don't trust those anthropomorphized rodents to be ours forever. They have delusions of grandeur and I Don't want them to be able to take us down.

^ Top  
  16. archaen Arbiter Patron

archaen
    1. The Hounds and their elephants: They wish to transfer over to Seinsheim's command, they are likely a little worried about the murderous looks Lyssa gives them and the elephants have been getting a little short tempered the more they are around her. How do you wish to respond?

E) You convince Reinhard to formally take control of them instead of giving them to Seinsheim. Then, after transfer is complete, ask the Prince to assign them back to our taskforce.

2. The Seekers: The Seekers have had more than enough of your leadership and it seems they wish to transfer to Seinsheim's service. How do you wish to handle the situation.

E) You convince Reinhard to take control of them instead of giving them to Seinsheim.

3. Seinsheim: Setting the tone. You meeting with Seinsheim in his tent set the tone for your working relationship with him. How did you approach it?

B)

4. Your choice: How do you wish to answer Berg's question?

A) You choose to excuse yourself from the meeting.

iv. You will excuse yourself from the meeting and will try to work with Reinhard instead on screening the dwarven army from cultist infiltrators with the help of Coin-Sith. You will try to gather as much information as you can before the meeting commences.

5. The dogs are trying to entertain themselves at your expense. Are you going to do anything about it?

A. Yes. Commence operation 'Trick or Treat'.

6. Now that you have destroyed a large gholish force and Mazzarin have joined forces with the dwarven army, the ghols don't stand much of a chance in the conflict. You could contact Nanshe next time you are due to the musical training and convince her to try and subjugate the now weakened clans, recalling their forces from the south - if there are any left.

B - No, you will not involve yourself in this.

7. You have not moved too far from Myrgard yet. Do you want to send a report to Albrecht and your team about the situation in the South and maybe get a report back?
    A - Yes. Choose which topics you want to get the report on or what orders you want to convey to your forces.

i) You request the update on the situation in Myrgard (the cult, Thyra, Rand, the not-Rand autopsy results, your various forces and their progress with the assigned tasks, maybe even the Weazels or other personnel).

ii) You request the update on the situation in Blackrock (the Boys, Hesse, Welf and their champions).

iii) You instruct Mayer to keep an eye on people who turned to our 'Fata Morgana' firm to place an order for a large quantity of Energon Cubes. (Those are used in the cloning rituals. Perhaps it might lead us to the cloning facilities or the cultist HQ.)

iv) You instruct your Blackrock mice to spy on Hesse, Welf and their forces in the fort. They should report to Myora. You will attach one of the items Lyssa made to converse with the rodents to the letter. (We are certain there are enemy agents among them, and the fort is riddled with mice, so it is a natural course of action. Should have thought of that one earlier, but oh well.)

v) You request a copy of the contract with the Hounds. (No, I don't need it, but this whole "you can't see a contract so you can't argue back" does not sit well with me)

8. Do you want to make the following adjustments to the character's sheet?
    A. Yes, you make changes (select as many as you want):

i. - arm your third spell ring with Heal instead of Greater Energy Bolt and loan it to Lyssa (so that each of you had means of quick healing)

ii. - arm your mice squad with sharp and pointy weapon and enchant them with Poison Oath to make them capable of taking down a person.

^ Top  
  17. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    They can't enchant the weapons without us, though, so they aren't capable of sustaining a revolt.

The ones that can potentially learn the enchantment, our apprentice mice, are already capable of taking us down on a lucky strike, but are also completely dependant on us.

But alright, I can change my vote to just 8Ai as long as we have enough weapons to arm them when we need them.

Edit: Hmmm. Maybe we could get Finn help us with the screening in difficult cases. It is going to be night soon. Depends on whether his people could do a job like this discreetly.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
    ^ Top  
  18. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Alright, I am going to close the voting now.

The Results:

Nevill:
    1.E, 2.E, 3.C, 4.Aiv, 5.A, 6.A, 7.A:i,ii,iii,iv, 8.A:i,ii

Grimgravy:
    1.C, 2.E>A>Ciii, 3.B, 4.B, 5.x, 6.x, 7.x, 8.A:i (No to ii)

Karwelas:
    1.E, 2.E, 3.C, 4.Av, 5.A, 6.A, 7.A:i,ii,iii,iv, 8.A:i,ii

Kz3r0:
    1.C, 2.D, 3.B, 4.Aiii, 5.x, 6.x, 7.x, 8.x

Jester:
    1.C, 2.A, 3.C, 4.B, 5.x, 6.x, 7.x, 8.x

Azira:
    1.E, 2.E, 3.C, 4.Aiv, 5.A, 6.x, 7.x, 8.x

asxetos:
    1.E, 2.E, 3.C, 4.Aiv, 5.A, 6.A, 7.A:i,ii,iii,iv, 8.x

archaen:
    1.E, 2.E, 3.B, 4.Aiv, 5.A, 6.B, 7.A:i,ii,iii,iv,v, 8.i,ii

5 votes E
    3 votes C

6 votes E
    1 vote A
    1 votes D

5 votes C
    3 votes B

4 votes Aiv
    2 votes B
    1 vote Aiii
    1 vote Av

5 votes A
    3 votes undeclared

3 vote A
    1 vote B
    4 votes undeclared

4 vote A:
    4/4 vote Ai
    4/4 vote Aii
    4/4 vote Aiii
    4/4 vote Aiv
    1/4 votes Av
    4 votes undeclared

4 votes A
    4/4 vote Ai
    3/4 vote Aii
    4 votes undeclared

1. The Hounds:

E) You convince Reinhard to formally take control of them instead of giving them to Seinsheim. Then, after transfer is complete, ask the Prince to assign them back to our taskforce.

2. The Seekers:

E) You convince Reinhard to take control of them instead of giving them to Seinsheim.

3. Seinsheim:

C) Heal his wound with one of the rings. Then tell him that you are a servant no one, not even the King. Everything you do, you do because you want to do it, not because you follow someone's orders.

4. Your choice of approaches:

Aiv. You will excuse yourself from the meeting and will try to work with Reinhard instead on screening the dwarven army from cultist infiltrators with the help of Coin-Sith. You will try to gather as much information as you can before the meeting commences.

5. The Coin-Sith:

A. Yes. Commence operation 'Trick or Treat':

6. Nanshe:

A - Yes, you will speak to her about it. She gets to expand her Empire at their expense, and we won't have to hunt their remnants across the Kingdom.

7. Myrgard Communications:

A - Yes. Choose which topics you want to get the report on or what orders you want to convey to your forces.

i) You request the update on the situation in Myrgard (the cult, Thyra, Rand, the not-Rand autopsy results, your various forces and their progress with the assigned tasks, maybe even the Weazels or other personnel).

ii) You request the update on the situation in Blackrock (the Boys, Hesse, Welf and their champions).

iii) You instruct Mayer to keep an eye on people who turned to our 'Fata Morgana' firm to place an order for a large quantity of Energon Cubes. (Those are used in the cloning rituals. Perhaps it might lead us to the cloning facilities or the cultist HQ.)

iv) You instruct your Blackrock mice to spy on Hesse, Welf and their forces in the fort. They should report to Myora. You will attach one of the items Lyssa made to converse with the rodents to the letter. (We are certain there are enemy agents among them, and the fort is riddled with mice, so it is a natural course of action. Should have thought of that one earlier, but oh well.)

8. Party Management:

I will see if I can get an update done for sometime Sunday, it might happen...

Update:

Yeah, turns out that combining holiday weekends and PoE is a great way to not get much writing done. I will chip away at the update whenever I can find the time. Hopefully it will be up no later than Tuesday, it should not take too long and I definitely don't want it to have to wait until next weekend.

Update to the update:

The update is about 25% done now, I should be able to clear time Monday evening to finish it off. With any luck it will be up within twenty four hours.

The update is now over half done. I will either post it tonight or tomorrow night.

Update to the update of the, ah, update:

The update is near completion. I am going to see if I can't get it out tonight, might be tomorrow though.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  19. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Will Derryth manage to fend off the Watcher's horde? What plan does she have in mind? Will she finally decide to run away and make babies with- ah, wrong thread.

^ Top  
  20. Karwelas Dwarf Taffer

Karwelas
    Shh. We have Witcher 3 around to make us busy. Well... you have Treave. :lol:
    I should really look into his/her CYOAs but still bust with planing myself... damn it. I understand how Fanshi and Treave feel at the start.

^ Top  
  21. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    So it is the weekend again... did not quite make the Tuesday release I wanted... :oops:

I should will have time to work on finishing the update now though so expect the update to be posted within twenty four hours. A lot of dialogue and 'investigating' in this update so I have to double check all the info for errors. :salute:

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  22. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    Why i knew i will have to make a sarcastic comment here about not having to check if it's update?
    :P

Will believe when I see it. Probably you will cheat on your bunch of imaginery friends/random strengers with people you know. Such unfaithfulness.
    :decline:

Hope she or he (them ?) is at least pretty.
    :lol:

^ Top  
  23. Jester Arbiter

Jester
  24. Karwelas Dwarf Taffer

Karwelas
    Fangshi? Are you there? Respond! FAAAAANNNGSHIIII!

:lol:

^ Top  
  25. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Still here, still going to post the update, it is just suffering a bit from bloat.

I hesitate to give an estimation though beyond soon...

I will update this post before I post the update.

Update:

Alright, I have managed to organize the update and it is done.

I just need to do a few passes and then I will post it. It should be up within the hour.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)