Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Discussion in 'Choose Your Own Adventure Land' started by Fangshi, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    From the way he is saying it, it is not very clear - does he consider it a good thing, or a bad thing?

By the way, does he know where Bärbel is? Does he know his half-sister well? Anything he can tell us about her?

What prompted her to march with the army as a simple cadet?

If the vote for messenger passes, I want the runner to leave a letter for Gareth at Madb's place. In a letter, I want to ask him to investigate two remaining Watcher's generals - the Weeper and the Sliver of Hatred, as well as the groups that oppose them in Gower and the Twelve Duns.

We have already asked him to gather information on the Watcher's activities before, it would not be out of place to clarify our requests.

If we decided to involve ourselves in making history, developin an information network is a must.

^ Top  
  2. Absinthe Erudite

Absinthe
    Well, the argument we'd raise here is that the nature of the favor was that our relationship with Lyssa subordinates Mazzarin's.

I think it's an argument worth making because this way Emrys would not be betraying Mazzarin's trust but honoring his word. Not only would that make him more willing to let us read the letter, but it also avoids trouble down the road from either Emrys or Mazzarin. And given Thais's skills, I'm sure we'll do fine at persuading him.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
    ^ Top  
  3. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    I don't see why it is Emrys who needs to make the decision to honor his Master's word or not. There is no reason for us not to take the matter directly to his master if we think it is in any way our business.

And I am pretty sure Mazzarin would disagree it is. :)

Far as I know, we didn't buy Lyssa as a slave, so we do not 'own' her or her relationships with others. It is a concern that she still maintains contact with Mazzarin (as we think she has reasons to distance herself from him on all but most important matters), but finding out about it is not something we 'bought' the right to.

I am also not sure whether we should even mention to Emrys that his master owes us a favor. I bet it is not something Mazzarin told him (as evidenced by what he knows of us), and it was said that it is not safe - for us - to spread the detailed knowledge of our involvement with Mazzarin. I am pretty content with the general opinion placing us as his heralds/agents.

Sure, Emrys is not a tattle-tale, but the less people know about our dealings, the better.

^ Top  
  4. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    That is intentional on his part, Derry thinks. If you want to push the issue you could probably make him clarify his position.

Yes, she is in Camp #5. He is not particularly close to her, no. She is a good soldier from what he can tell, does her duty with a minimum of complaining but for the most part she has done nothing to stand out.

You would have to ask her, he is not privy to her thoughts. He says that Friedelinde might know though.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Yes.

Sooner or later, Mazzarin will go away, but we will be staying.

We have few allies in the Kingdom safe for the House of Albrecht, and now that we found that it is far from being a monolithic entity and everyone has their own ideas about the direction the Kingdom needs to take, it would be nice to see where we stand with each of them so that we didn't act at cross-purposes. Last thing we want is to worry about stepping on the toes of people who are supposed to have our back.

From what their siblings told of him, they described him as a direct and honest man, and, frankly, all of the political bullshit is starting to tire us out.

Our current goal is to ensure the survival of the Kingdom, and that it is in good hands. The politicking interests us only as much as it helps achieving the goal.

We hoped that at least with him we would not have to go through what we did with Albrecht, Timo and Jan. A few misunderstandings we've had already cost Albrecht, up to and including the escape of the female necromancer, and Jan nearly got both us and himself killed after acting on his paranoia and mistaking us for something we were not.

So if he would be more frank with us, it would likely save us all a lot of trouble.

If he has concerns about us, we would like to hear them upfront, too. Perhaps we could wave some of them straight away. I guess he will have our actions to judge if our words ring true.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
    ^ Top  
  6. Jester Arbiter

Jester
    That bunny bastard.

On one hand he stolen personal memorial alcohol.
    On other anyone who have balls to try invoke slight of hand on Mazz deserves few statues in his honour.

^ Top  
  7. archaen Arbiter Patron

archaen
    We could combine the dogs with the portal to the city if Mazzy's spell craft is up to it and us being able to convince him of the plan. Everyone is going to have to march into the portal past our Fey host on their way through. If we can mark those who fail and the portal can selectively transport those who fail somewhere else we wouldn't need the feast farce. For the marking we can have our fey friends hand out "portal protection badges" as people are walking up to it. These will be explained to be carefully tuned to the person in question and used to protect them from outside influence on their journey and would be identical by appearance and take a minute to "attune". Of course they would be passes to see who gets sorted through and who gets dropped into Mazzarin's pocket dimension prison(including the elephant handlers). This is just off the top of my head. I bet we leave Seinsheim behind as he will be too cowardly to pass through,

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  8. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    The idea is brilliant. Fangshi, how feasible is it?

No one knows how the Gate spell works, anyway, so no one should suspect anything. Even if the portal can not lead to two different destinations at once, you still have to pass through the 'customs office', and you still will be marked if you don't pass the check. We can just deal with the subversives on the other side.
    Well, the impression I received from Seinsheim is that he is paranoid more so than he is cowardly. That's a dwarf who was not afraid to ride into battle with ghols at his age. He did not receive his wound by hiding behind the backs of his guards.

Alternatively, he is hiding something. Why would he never step into the Silver Flame unless he knows something about it?

^ Top  
  9. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    I assume you want to tell him all of that in writing?

Or would you rather speak it?

It may make a difference.

It should be workable, it would take a few different spells though.

You won't be able to set up the Gate to go to two separate locations at the same time but you could set up two separate Gates going to different locations. As long as the hounds can filter them out you could send those that 'fail' into the second gate and those that pass into the first one.

You would need to provide a suitable excuse though.

The badges would also work, if you have them enchanted so that they are easy to find then you might be able to track down those that hold them after they have gone through the gate (provided they hold onto them).

There might be other spells that could work as well, you could ask Mazzarin if you bother to wake him up.

The biggest hurdles the ladies can see are:

1. Making enough tokens/basic logistics - how quickly can something like this be organized.

2. Anchoring the Gate(s) - if the layout of the city has been changed at all you could come out into the middle of a wall or solid stone (and die horribly :lol:)

3. Gate size - It is going to take a fair bit of power to keep a gate capable of transporting an army open for long enough to let it pass through. You would have to convince Mazzy to do it and it would take his full attention/concentration, so he might be a bit vulnerable to tampering/attack while he does it (or you would need to teach and use some of the other mages around, obviously, DT&L can't do it by themselves).

Other than that though, it should be a viable way to move into Stoneheim while filtering the army and avoiding the enemy.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Well, I want to play a "let's be frank with each other" angle with him, seeing how he was presented as a soldier in contrast to Timo or Albrecht who are plotters. I don't think these words have the same weight if they are written rather than spoken. I also don't think they contain any information that our enemies do not already know.

So I am thinking of speaking aloud.

Of course, Reinhard does not have to answer in the same way if it is something he'd rather commit to paper instead, but I want to set the right tone between the two three of us. He is the only person we can rely on in the whole army, safe for our own troops.

Can't Finn's scouts verify this? His forces only recently were there, fighting the Beast, and if needed, his scouts can check it with their own eyes. They can get there and back in a day. And Mazzarin has ways to make them remember their orders, as Cropper can attest to.

Alternatively, the Mage has spells to travel there in half an hour (judging by the speed of his travel from Muirthemne to oasis) without engaging the enemy. He can enter the city via a different gate and open the portal from the other side, letting the army in.

Besides, I think we have vision on where the portal leads, don't we? We have seen Eris and the fetches who killed her on the other side. If the portal does not lead where we need it to lead, we can open another portal. Or is there anything that prevents that?

Seekers. :lol:

As far as I remember, maintaining the Gate does not require learning the spell, right? This was how we bargained with Eris - we open/anchor the portal so that she does not learn the exact ritual, and then we hold it together.

Maz can open a portal and then get the maggots do all the hard work. And we won't be in any shape or form responsible for that because they are not under our direct command. Reinhard should be the one offering their services. :P

^ Top  
  11. Azira Arcane Patron

Azira
    Codex 2012
    Why ask the seekers to identify the items? Why not ask Emrys? Boy's bright, that's for sure. And seems less likely to want to screw us over. Might even find it interesting. Thaïs might use her silver tongue to convince Emrys that we're actually doing him a favour, by letting him get a look at the objects. Could wing it as a test of sorts?
    Might be he enjoys the idea so much that he'll let us sneak a look at that letter, should we want to.

Can we add Emrys as an option for identifying the unidentified objects we currently have?

^ Top  
  12. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Sure.

I thought about him, but the boy is a novice. How long has he been with Maz, exactly? And I don't know how dangerous these artefacts are (or even if they are dangerous).

Seekers are good because they are expendable. :lol:

I guess we could ask him.

^ Top  
  13. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    I don't understand why we need badges.

Each squad, platoon or company has a commander. Commander knows the names of those he commands.

Have them send the soldiers in one by one. Name, platoon, rank - into the Gate. Name, platoon, rank - into the Gate. We will write down everyone, or if they have a list of soldiers, cross them out, and mark those who are sniffed by the hounds (or even those who could not be detected for a more thorough scan later). We won't need fancy badges to find them later on.

We can pretend it is a rollcall after the major battle they just had.

No overly difficult logistics involved.

^ Top  
  14. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    He shakes his head and thinks on your words for a moment, "Alright, if you wish to speak like a soldier and not a politican so much the better. I have practiced my family's art but I have no love for it."

He leans in, dropping his voice to a whisper, "I do not know what to make of what I have heard of you. Some cast you as the most base of opportunists, some say you are actual heroes. All I know is that I would rather trust to my own eyes, my own mind, rather than to the rumours of others and the common wisdom of the day. I will come to my own judgement about your character and that is all I can fairly say at the moment."

Yes, there are ways around it but it is something that must be dealt with.

That is correct, the Seekers do not need to know how to cast the spell to maintain it. Though they may be able to figure out the spell from maintaining it (much as your people did). If Mazzain is going to pass the spell off to them then they will have plenty of opportunities to examine it.

Sure, I will add the option.

Then you are modifying the base plan (which is fine), but the original plan calls for badges/tokens and that is what I was responding to.

That will take a long time. Filtering almost 1000 people, one at a time, will take maybe a day and a half (and that is provided that you go non stop, with no breaks in maintaining the portal/scanning the soldiers) and that is provided it only takes you two minutes per person. If there are any complications, well...

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  15. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Which is why I need you to answer if opening the portal in the wrong place is actually a problem and if so, why.
    What happens if you open a portal into a rock? From my understaning, you just see a rock on the other side and can't pass through.

Our people had the knowledge provided by the tablet, IIRC.

The point was to not let Eris open portals to anywhere she pleases. She knew the half of the spell already (tried it, with disastrous results), but could not direct it without a tablet, or an 'anchor' (which, I assume, is the other half). If she could figure out the full spell from maintaining it, what was the point?

So I have to verify that again, I'm afraid.

Okay, so what is/was the plan with badges and why is it faster?

I thought we needed to scan people individually. How do we scan/filter people as a group? Keep in mind that the capabilities of the hounds are unknown to me, so I am not aware of our exact limits here.

^ Top  
  16. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Anyway, it does not have to be exactly one at a time.

The commander announces himself and his squad. His people are then simultaneously scanned by several (say, ten) of our teams we have in place. His squad then passes through the Gate as a unit.

Bam! 10 times reduction in speed of the whole process.

It is almost like I've seen it somewhere...
    Show Spoiler
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I need to finish this LP someday. :salute:

^ Top  
  17. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Depends on what you open up on really.

If you open the portal and it leads to a wall not much will happen, you just close it and try again with a different, clear memory.

However there are situations where opening up a portal can lead to more serious situations. If the area you are trying to connect to is flooded (this is just an example and may or may not apply to this particular situation ;)), then opening the portal would dump that water through to your end, probably knock you all off your feet and collapse the portal which might cause it to explode.

If you open a portal to an area you thought was safe and turns out to be filled with enemies/hazards/magic/'something horrible' then you can expect to have to deal with that as well if anything makes it to your side.

Yes, a rock wall is fairly safe as long as you do not step through the portal to the far end.

She did not maintain it, she just gave you some of the power needed to fuel the spell. You did all the real work there.

You only relinquished control to her at the end when she had to link it to her own world.

In this case, Mazzarin would fuel the spell and set it up. He would then step away and pass it off to the Seekers who would have to hold it open for hours. They would have plenty of time to observe how he did it, whether they would be able to learn enough to replicate the feat (or at least attempt to) you do not know. That would have everything to do with their stats, how they roll and whether or not they would be motivated to try.

Here is the plan you asked me to look at:

You do not know if using badges/tokens would be quicker, it is simply part of the plan as presented so I commented on it. Creating the tokens would take time (it would depend on how many mages you turned to the task really), whether you want to spend the time on it or not is, as always, up to you lot to figure out. :lol:

I can only tell you what the characters know/think, not what is most likely to work (or work best) in a given situation.

Each hound can only scan one mind at a time, that is correct. If you wanted to do groups you would need to use groups of hounds and they would simply pick different targets.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    Alright, so how about this?

Infantry is the largest hurdle by far, as it comprises about 80% of the army. So let's talk infantry.

A captain sends the soldiers under his command to the groups that will be 'preparing' them to pass through the portal. What will in fact happen is that each soldier is assigned to one of ten of our groups who will note their name and rank and scan them, and then give them a green light to proceed. Assuming each scan takes about 2-3 minutes, that's a group of 100 people in half an hour (provided there are no complications). We could transport everyone in half a day that way.

In fact, we have enough hounds in our pack alone to cover units twice that size simultaneously. If Finn lends us his, we could shorten the required time even further.

It would be nice to scan some portion of the army beforehand to send through a group of loyalists to secure the location and make the transition safer for the rest of the army. The legend would be, of course, that those people have already went through the necessary procedures. Those could be our mercenaries (already scanned), Finn's people (can not be corrupted) and some of the forces that are mostly loyal to Reinhard (those are the scans/inspections that can be arranged beforehand).

Those loyalists can be the ones who deal with the subversives who will arrive to the other end in small groups.

Does this answer the logistical concerns and is it feasible enough to do in half a day (or ever sooner)?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2015
    ^ Top  
  19. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    As far as the ladies can tell, yes.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    In fact, why don't we separate the acts of scanning and sending our forces through a portal?

We could do it to save time, but then we would have to deal with the subversives on the other side of the Gate.

What we could also do is tell the army of our plan and start 'preparing' them without opening the portal, telling them that they need to be ready by the time the spell is cast.

The procedure will go much like described above. Once done, we will deal with the infiltrators as Reinhard deems necessary. I think that at least all of the Watcher's agents need to be put down or restrained, lest they turn on us upon arrival in Stoneheim.

Then we open the Gate, form a column of ten dwarves abreast, and march our forces through the portal in a mere hour or so.

Bros, what are your thoughts on the matter? Which one is better? Or do you have something else in mind?

Tagging archaen, the author of the original plan, to chime in.

This gives us a reason to conduct our scans in the open under the guise of some bullshit magical preparation, so we don't have to wait for several days to do it covertly, and it ensures the safety of Stoneheim. It also - supposedly - gives our army a better defensive position inside the walls of the city.

^ Top  
  21. archaen Arbiter Patron

archaen
    Nevill I think those modifications are fine. We can call it 2.E. Screen before hand by unit and organization for traitors using the hounds under the ruse of preparing for the portal run / census of forces. All explosives should be seized and put into crates for safe portal transit. We send a trusted force through the portal first and then send as many of the traitors through in the first batches so the bulk of the non traitors cannot be induced to interfere for their "fellows". I think we should take some precautions on people killing the Seekers when they are supporting the spell. Put a kill zone around them with our host guarding them and maybe an illusion showing them off set from where they really are. It's our weak point in this plan.

1. Biv
    2. E
    3. C
    4. C

5. B

^ Top  
  22. Fangshi Arcane

Fangshi
    Alright, I will add it as 2.E.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  23. Nevill Arcane

Nevill
    That's what I am asking.

If we screen the units beforehand - as in, before even opening the portal - we theoretically could deal with the subversives 'safely' without having to watch out for their attempts to collapse the Gate.

Alternatively, we could scan them as they are sent through the Gate, send in the loyalists and have them apprehend new arrivals as they come in small numbers (and have it happen out of view of the main army). It seems to be what you are proposing.

So, which way would be best to go?

We could use some fairies (not just hounds) in our scans, like Finn did when he scanned our forces, to try and detect those that hounds can not (say, the regular rebels in our midst).

I like the ideas of packing the explosives away - but we will have to take it from the loyalists, as well. Though I guess we will have our own forces to fall back on.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. archaen Arbiter Patron

archaen
    I like the idea of us scanning first as we can get the compromised units through the gate first and deal with them on the other side out of sight. I am more afraid of the main army interfering when they see their comrade of 10 years hauled off for treason than I am of a reckless ploy to try stop the gate. These are basically sleeper cells and shouldn't want to reveal themselves unless they are in imminent danger. The army was crumbling to the spider goddess' forces and a few turncoats could have routed the whole lot before we arrived and they didn't reveal themselves then.

I agree that we should use the full fey host if they agree. The day of the portal travel the dogs should be on explosive detection duty(if their mundane sense of smell is as good as their magic) to make sure none except our boxes make it through.

The other issue I thought of with the portal is the Beast and his cohort fighting the seekers for the termination point once it is established. If we use our willpower ritual and keep ourselves in reserve to hammer opposition and fight for the portal if someone interferes, it would give me peace of mind.

Please anyone that wants to add to the plan or discuss leadership of roles do chime in. What groups do we want through the portal and how do we take prisoners? Do we want on eagle on overwatch with a greater bolt to murder anyone attacking us? Do we wait to go to Reinhard till after Mazzarin says yes or get Reinhard on board first and use him to help convince Mazzarin that be needs to get to the city asap?

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)