Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Myth: A New Age CYOA

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
And why, pray tell, you need it in your personal possession?

As a director of the Artifact Museum, you could satisfy your thirst for powerful trinkets with the government's backing. Make a legal job out of your obsession, you'll live longer.

Voting A > B2, B5.

A is my first choice (conditional votes are ok, right?) because I kind of agree with Nevill. What the hell are we going to do with one half of an artefact or even the whole artefact? Research it? Make it rain? Sell it for cash? Probably all three of these, and making ourself part of the government in charge for looking for this stuff let's us do all of them, only legitimately. That does sound like a good approach and the mission would have the best chance of succeeding. Maybe is doesn't sound as interesting as playing a tomb raider, but it also means less chance of ending up like our late mentor.

My second choice is the wildcard B2 option (because it sounds fun) and the new mages (because they sound interesting and probably unlikely to cause us problems over the artefact if we find it). Hell, the biggest reason against A for me is that then we can't try these options (or maybe we can bring a couple of or associates with us on an official mission?)

As for the name, I'm going with Lara Croft Morgana Argonne.

Fangshi

Arcane
Got it I will update the tally.

Zero Credibility said:
conditional votes are ok, right?

Yes they are fine (after the first vote I whipped up a fancy spreadsheet system and everything, just to handle this sort of thing). ;)

Hell, the biggest reason against A for me is that then we can't try these options

In general don't be too worried about missing out on whole plot arcs/characters. The way I am running this is the same way that I run a PnP campaign, so there are lots of factions/individuals all moving around to different ends. If I gave you the option to just do nothing all of these storylines would still in theory progress to their logical ends. For example if you don't search the camp it does not mean that the other "background" characters are gone for good, you may run into them later, but they will probably move on from the camp and attempt to find work so they do not starve and their character might change as time goes on.

Last edited:

Anabanana

Augur
And why, pray tell, you need it in your personal possession?

As a director of the Artifact Museum, you could satisfy your thirst for powerful trinkets with the government's backing. Make a legal job out of your obsession, you'll live longer.

I don't particularly care about the stone, but the character does. If you look at the wording of the choice:

A)Go Legit: Go to the government offices, you will have to be careful but they have the best equipment and soldiers around. An official expedition would be the most likely to succeed but would also likely cost you the stone. You would be paid well if you succeed however and may even get an imperial commission if you play your cards right.

There's a very high chance of you losing the stone, and a small chance of getting a permanent position like what you were talking about. And even if we did, not sure if that's what the character wants? Pretty sure the character wants the thing for herself. Unless the GM wants to confirm otherwise. Fangshi, what does the government plan on doing with the stone if the expedition succeeds and what are the character's thoughts on that possibility?

Elfberserker

Liturgist
B1,B2
Buddying up with local thief guild isn't stupidiest thing to do and I doubt that they ask anything impossible in return. Searching the camp is bit a wild card, but it cuts down size party members with ties with different organization. Hell we might be lucky and actually get good muscle and talkers in our group since I feel that our gal is enough magic type for this sort of adventure.

Fangshi

Arcane
Anabanana said:
what does the government plan on doing with the stone if the expedition succeeds and what are the character's thoughts on that possibility?

Again this is what your character thinks they will do:

Honestly they will probably add it to the treasury and just sit on it so to speak, for them it is less about what the stone can do and more about keeping it out of the hands of others. The emperor is an Archmage after all, he likes hording powerful things just like any other mage.

The character does not really want that to happen, but she is not a fool, the Imperials do provide advantages as outlined earlier, ideally she would like to keep it and unlock its secrets, largely just for the knowledge and power. Any motivation beyond that will have to come from the decisions you all make.

Half of the stone would give the user some power over the elements but it would be limited and fairly fragile sort of thing, I won't limit the amount of power you can try to draw from it but it may backfire as it is damaged.

Now the completed stone could flood cities, cause droughts, start fires through lightning, or level armies with powerful winds. It could also be used for good however, the war has left a lot of the eastern lands ruined, the stone could be used to improve soil quality in the Barrier (a 200 mile stretch of wasteland that runs from the city to the mountains in the west, caused by the magical fires Balor used to take the city), promote plant growth, fight wild fires, improve crop yields and help the empire recover, but the bureaucracy of the empire may or may not realize its potential if they get a hold of it.

On why it is illegal to enter the ruins:

Following Alric's successful occupation of the city a group of treasure hunters managed to wake up the ghost of an ancient Myrkridian Pack Mage (sort of like a big werewolf that knows magic and hates humans on principle). It killed about one hundred civilians, fifty legionaries, and six Heron Guards before the Heron Guards put it down. There are very dangerous things below the city, left over from the wars and even earlier. That is why it is illegal to go down there without a permit, you will have to be careful.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
While we are waiting for the official answer,
There's a very high chance of you losing the stone, and a small chance of getting a permanent position like what you were talking about.
If I am correct in my understanding of the world, when it comes to the lost artifacts, Muirthemne is a treasure trove waiting to be opened. Should we be successful in one expedition and ask for another, the government will fund it. There is enough work here to last us a lifetime, if we so choose.

What the character lusts for is knowledge, and we can simply do more through legal channels. And we won't have to watch our back nearly half as often.

Last edited:

Anabanana

Augur
Is there a chance we can convince the officials to let us keep the stone and study it with permission, or is the emperor too much of a hoarder for that to be feasible? Like if we harp on the potential for the stone to be used for the good of the empire.

Esquilax

Arcane
Is there a chance we can convince the officials to let us keep the stone and study it with permission, or is the emperor too much of a hoarder for that to be feasible? Like if we harp on the potential for the stone to be used for the good of the empire.

CHA 2

Fangshi

Arcane
They might let you study it if you become a government official and to get the actual position would probably require an audience with Alric (which could be arranged if you do well and return heroes) since he would esentially be creating a new cabinet post (you would become something like a minister of the environment), but if they get it then the stone will not leave the palace grounds without a written or verbal order from the emperor himself. It will become government property not yours.

The biggest difficulty would arise from the fact that the other half of the stone is not in the city (no one knows where it is but you do know it is not here) and you will require this half to find it. So you would have to convince the government to let you borrow it to find the other half. Depending on your choices this may be easy or almost impossible, you won't know till you get to that point.

Nevill said:
If I am correct in my understanding of the world, when it comes to the lost artifacts, Muirthemne is a treasure trove waiting to be opened.

Oh, definitely, at its height it was the greatest centre for magical study and artifact manufacturing in the known world, there are all sorts of thing buried down there with the dead and the not-so-dead it is why it is so alluring to treasure hunters. Some of the greatest libraries ever constructed are buried under the city along with the fabled forges of the Smiths of Muirthemne, unparalleled enchanters from the golden age of the city.

Last edited:

Anabanana

Augur
...meeeeeh.

I really am more interested in picking up the other background characters to go on expeditions with right now instead of waiting until they move on. It's more fun to build a party from scratch, I think. I really want to get that courtesan okay

Fangshi

Arcane
Well I will leave the polls open for a while so you can all flop and drive me insane come up with a solid and convincing plan. There really are no horrible choices (yet) so don't worry too much. ;)

I will probably close the polls around the same time I did for the last update, and then post an update in the afternoon.

(If you have any last questions I will be online for maybe 5-10 more minutes.)

Last edited:

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Edit: Calling the Myth fan potato contingent - Storyfag, I summon thee!

Strangely, the forum didn't alert me. But I have come nontheless.

I want to be a Watcher :smug:

On that note:
Male
1) Apprentice
2) Northerner
3) Merchant

Also, calling Ivar the Boner - all you lads unfamiliar with the setting, check out his neat Let's Play's floating around this very forum.

Nevill

Arcane
Don't worry, though, Apprentice is what you get when you legalize a Scavenger. So it is still salvageable!

treave

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012
Following Alric's successful occupation of the city a group of treasure hunters managed to wake up the ghost of an ancient Myrkridian Pack Mage (sort of like a big werewolf that knows magic and hates humans on principle). It killed about one hundred civilians, fifty legionaries, and six Heron Guards before the Heron Guards put it down. There are very dangerous things below the city, left over from the wars and even earlier. That is why it is illegal to go down there without a permit, you will have to be careful.

Not sure if this has been covered, but what obstacles does our character think she'll face in the ruins, based on the information she's gathered thus far? Other treasure hunters, traps (magic or otherwise), types of monsters? Will the threats be more magical or more physical, or an equal mixture of both?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom