Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Need feedback for my turn based tactical combat prototype

Heapcleaner

Novice
Hello guys,

I've just a made a tactical combat prototype for my game project, it's a game where you play as guild manager managing your crew members and use them to take on missions, something like in the Darkest Dungeon or other tactical rpg game with static base of operation.

This is the video showing the tactical combat :

Please let me know what you think about the combat system. And if you like to try it out yourself, feel free to download the executable here https://hacknpaint.itch.io/the-guild-manager

Thanks a lot

J1M

Arcane
I like that the animations resolve quickly and that you are using a square grid.

When I saw a push-back skill I assumed you would demonstrate knocking someone off the board. Don't remember seeing that, but it would be a good idea.

If you want the horse character to charge over open gaps you might want to change the visual for it. I was expecting that to be a limitation.

Heapcleaner

Novice
I like that the animations resolve quickly and that you are using a square grid.

When I saw a push-back skill I assumed you would demonstrate knocking someone off the board. Don't remember seeing that, but it would be a good idea.

If you want the horse character to charge over open gaps you might want to change the visual for it. I was expecting that to be a limitation.

Hi J1M,

I decided to use a fast pace combat because I personally don't like waiting for unimportant thing such as walking and normal attack to take too much time in my turn base game. And I'm glad that you like it too

I chose square tiles with Manhattan distance calculation because it's easy for the player to mentally count the range and it enables them to make efficient decision quickly

I haven't thought of pushing the unit off the board, the current implementation is to deal more damage if the unit can not be pushed back (e.g there's a blocker or other unit behind it), pushing the unit off the board or down the pit sounds cool, I'll definitely try it in my next iteration.

From the other feedback that I got from my friends that have tested the game, the horseman charging over gaps doesn't annoy them, they like it actually, but the horseman charging through blocker really breaks the mood, it makes those pillars unsafe for their fragile units. As for visual cues when they charge over gaps, I don't think it's necessary, but I'll think about it

Thank you very much for the comments J1M, appreciate it!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom