Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview Negative Dragon Age preview

Shannow

Waster of Time
kris said:
Shannow said:
And that coupled with ridiculously easy to get to sex-scenes just does not compute.

Would it be confirmed they are easy to get too or do you have to say the right things in numerous conversations?
So you'd consider them difficult to get to if you had to talk to them more than once?
Basically it is conjecture from how they handled Mass Effect. You have two squad members that are fuckable. You can fuck both (although I'm not sure whether they are exclusive). You need to tell them directly that you're not interested otherwise there will be sweaty (alien) sex. Going by this and by what we've been shown from DA I assume the sex-scenes are pathetically easy to get to.

kris

Arcane
Shannow said:
kris said:
Shannow said:
And that coupled with ridiculously easy to get to sex-scenes just does not compute.

Would it be confirmed they are easy to get too or do you have to say the right things in numerous conversations?
So you'd consider them difficult to get to if you had to talk to them more than once?

Yes. Either they would be difficult because it is well written and you actually have to be smart in the conversations... Or it would be difficult because it is horribly written and you have to endure a lot of conversation before the sex.

;)

Fenril

Scholar
How is this surprising...what the preview describes I mean.

Seems like standard Baldurs Gate 2 Romance to me. Neither better nor worse. Same shit, same bioware flavor.

So if this is supposed to be a slightly "darker" Baldurs Gate 3 why all the whining? Its exactly what bioware always done before.

I do agree its lame overall, as was lame/childish/pathetic/ankward in BG2, as plenty of other moments in BG2 not related to romance were childish/pathetic/ankward.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Mr. Teatime said:
I'm no feminist; I just want semi-believable characters, even if the setting is fantastic; and this sort of stuff doesn't elicit anger so much as a feeling of pity.
Warmly recommend picking up The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen or Swamp Thing.

But in regards to the subject at hand, my morbid fascination is far more focused on the emo shit that'll be dumped on the player. Especially by Anocarth Skyden.

EDIT: And I concur with the above poster. Bioware romances have always been this same shit.

phanboy_iv

Liturgist
Fenril said:
How is this surprising...what the preview describes I mean.

Seems like standard Baldurs Gate 2 Romance to me. Neither better nor worse. Same shit, same bioware flavor.

So if this is supposed to be a slightly "darker" Baldurs Gate 3 why all the whining? Its exactly what bioware always done before.

I do agree its lame overall, as was lame/childish/pathetic/ankward in BG2, as plenty of other moments in BG2 not related to romance were childish/pathetic/ankward.

This. Been playing through BG2 recently, and the character romances are the most obnoxious and peurile thing about the game. Just silly. Perhaps Planescape spoiled me.

Shannow

Waster of Time
phanboy_iv said:
This. Been playing through BG2 recently, and the character romances are the most obnoxious and peurile thing about the game. Just silly. Perhaps Planescape spoiled me.
The difference being that they take a lot more time to develop, are not possible with every party-member of the other sex, do without sweaty sex scenes, can be fucked over quite easily by "bad" responses or story choices, and do not give stat bonusses.
Face it, Bioware might have started with less than stellar video game romances but they have declined even further.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
BG2's lack of characters having sex in the Uncanny Valley is a high mark in its favor.

Hell, even the Witcher's sex scenes are mostly obscured behind the card.

Angthoron

Arcane
Guys, guys, wait. There's a perfect way to explain the reason one woman jumps into a man's arms for a book while his girlfriend goes "Meh, okay".

It's really obvious actually.

The book is (unbeknown to the player) a novel by D. Gaider! What woman could resist that, or even bear grudge?

(Edit: It seems my 69th post is rather matching to its number)

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
MetalCraze said:
If only. I'd actually play a Bioware game with rape.

This isn't hard at all. They just have to hire Japanese writers instead of teenage romance writer like D.Gaider to write the romance & sex option.

A truly dark medieval times would feature rape of defeated female opponents, no? To make it epic, have the opponents raise from mere helpless villagers, proud elves, amazons, princesses all the way to angel of god.

Lesifoere

Liturgist
Silly boy. Real dark-and-gritty-mature fantasy would feature copious rape of female bodies, duh.

Gromnir

Liturgist
"I just think computer developers need to grow up. Women in fantasy - be it games, books or films - often dress like whores and things go from there. Why?"

is equal childish and stoopid to ignore role of sex in games, book and films. is easy to bash gratuitous sex in media, but is kinda silly too... and some o' you look like real dinks if you bash bio game previews for their half-dressed harlots, but let similar stuff from troika or obsidian slide.

Gromnir ain't a fan o' the chicks in chainmail shtick, but is pretty much ubiquitous and it don't real detract from possibility o' game being quality. am genuine bothered by the gift nonsense in the bio romances... and am not a fan o' bio romances en masse, but to complain 'bout b00bies showing up in game previews is one o' the weaker criticisms we can imagine.

am recalling when previews and adverts for troika's vampire game first hit magazines anf internet... boobs & blood.

HA! Good Fun!

Angthoron

Arcane
Gromnir said:
but to complain 'bout b00bies showing up in game previews is one o' the weaker criticisms we can imagine.

I believe the problem isn't with the fact of the boobies' presence but the boobies' context. I'd probably not frown upon boobies (unless they were attached to a man), but in the case of "Warrior maiden = bouncy bouncy" it's just ridiculous. And over-done. And ridiculous. And building an ad campaign based on boobies and then claiming that the game is mature is at least slightly amusing. Maturity isn't about boobies, unless you're just entering your pubescent years.

am recalling when previews and adverts for troika's vampire game first hit magazines anf internet... boobs & blood.

Oh yes! Let's pick out an example of marketing done wrong by a company these people like, it'll justify the crap marketing of a company in question here!

Seriously though - you can make boobs a good selling point of the game, and the game might even be mature - but I'd like someone to point to the parts in the videos Bio has shown so far that are actually mature. I don't mind games being immature, mind you, but as was said, if you're making it immature, be honest about it, for crying out loud.

Hell, by the looks of it, Fable was more mature than DA is turning out to be.

WhiskeyWolf

RPG Codex Polish Car Thief
Staff Member
Melcar said:
Everything about the game is going to suck. So why are we discussing it?
Why are people killing each other?

Because they can.

Angthoron

Arcane
Melcar said:
Everything about the game is going to suck. So why are we discussing it?

A train wreck's attraction value does not lie in its beauty!

Deleted member 7219

After Volourn, I'm probably the biggest Bioware fanboy here (I like NWN, KOTOR, JE and ME), but even I am not looking forward to DA.

Mister Arkham

Scholar
Krash said:
Wonder how the Bioware boards are taking these negative previews

"Cry, cry, cry."

Actually, hell if I know. I abandoned those boards years ago because of the massive circle-wanks and pity parties.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom