Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Neil Gaiman's first video game

I don't know if I'm excited or not, but hell! A spooky dinner with mr. Neil himself? Where do I sign?

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Ooooooooh.

:takemyjewgold:

EDIT: Wait a minute, isn't this the first time since Harlan Ellison that a famous writer has written a video game?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Sounds like some sort of a Beetlejuice: The Game (no, not the NES one) meets Ghost Master? I'd love to see more details first because this is rather murky... but at 10 dorra for an assured copy?

must... resist...

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
10$ for a digital copy is very tempting, but the other tiers suck.

belated

Augur
I saw the website a few days ago and was tempted, but I don't know yet...

Crane

Arcane
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath
Grand Theft Coraline

Seriously though, I read and liked most of American Gods two years ago, but he's like Anne Rice but with gods. We get it already.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
American Gods was a good book. Sandman was a good comic. His first Doctor Who episode was great. I don't worship the ground he walks on like so many others, though.

Still... looks decent.

Gregz

Arcane

Vaarna_Aarne

Too bad Neil only knows how to write one story and he does it over and over.
Nah, he can do different things alright. It's rather that that one story is the one everyone pays attention to.

Personally I still keep on hoping he'll finish his Marvelman.

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Nah, he can do different things alright. It's rather that that one story is the one everyone pays attention to.

Who has the rights now, McFarlane? I personally liked the Moore parts better though.

Vaarna_Aarne

Who has the rights now, McFarlane? I personally liked the Moore parts better though.
McFarlane never had the rights, at one point he just thought he did. Last time I heard about that particular lawsuit, McFarlane lost and had to file bankcruptcy. The only thing he had the rights for is the series logo used by Eclipse Comics.

Currently the one who supposedly owns the rights is Marvel (hence why it's Marvelman again instead of Miracleman), but judging by the fact they only managed to reprint the old Mick Anglo stuff nobody (except Alan Moore) gives a damn about, the legal status of the Moore-Gaiman run is still a bottomless swamp.

EDIT: Though at this year's San Diego Comic Con, Marvel did have a big teaser still with the Marvelman logo (Eclipse variant, meaning definately Moore-Gaiman run in question):

image65-600x450.jpg

Last edited:

A user named cat

Yet it's always an entertaining story with fun characters and interesting themes. Can't wait to see American Gods fleshed out on HBO, more so than this Haunting starring Polterguy clone.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What story?
It's very simple:
'modest but with a dry wit male/female salt of the earth (not too smart) and yet observant protagonist discovers hidden world/weirdness, and through exploration of that hidden world discovers his heritage/hidden history forming the basis of the conflict, then at the climax of the work suddenly, twist happens where a personal sacrifice is enacted'.

Sandman is slightly different, but fits well enough if you change around the protagonists from Dream (the individual books do anyway)

This structure is, btw, a typical occupational hazard to urban fantasy authors since they insist in creating masquerade settings with 'special' protagonists.

Last edited:

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
This is much better news than this weird-ass Interplay-style "kickstarter".

Yes. "Marvelman" is near the top of my favorite Moore list (And Gaiman's run of it ain't bad either). I've never understood why everyone always talks about "Watchmen" but no one talks about Marvelman. For a moment when I saw the first "Superman" trailer it looked like they might be doing a sort of Marvelman style Nietzschean exploration of Superman as the ubermensch, delving into all the scarier potential of what it's like to essentially be a god on earth (seeing the scenes of Superman arguing with Zod and the scene of him shackled and guarded by the military gave me all sorts of hope). But then the movie came out and it sucked and I was disappointed.

American Gods is an OK novel (never liked it as much as Sandman), but would make an awesome TV show as it's a much better "universe" and "setting" than it is a novel. It was never really about its over all plot as much as it was more about individual scenes and general sketches of the individual gods (who are always way more interesting than the overall plot)...or those were its best parts, anyway.

I love Sandman, though, which is still far and away the best thing Gaiman has done.

But as to the game, I don't know. It looks OK, I guess. I like Gaiman least when he's at his most whimsical and fantastical/fairy tale-ish (like Coraline or Stardust) and unfortunately that's what this game looks like. Could be great anyway, though.

Last edited:

subi

Augur
This video have only few sequences from game :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom