Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nelly Cootalot: The Fowl Fleet

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
So I backed this on Kickstarter ages ago because it was a fellow AGS developer's project, and it's finally out. I don't have any free time and I'm not sure it's my cup of tea, but the reviews are very positive and perhaps someone here would be interested in giving it a try. If so, let me know, and I'll give you my key.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
I can barely look at the video's preview image, to be honest. But de gustibus. Someone surely will want it.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So I've been playing this on and off (no time for RPGs at the moment).

To be honest, it's not particularly good. With this kind of visual style, it could've been a good casual / children's adventure game. However, the writing and the puzzles are just too dull. Most of the puns fall flat. There isn't a single interesting character, even though the game tries too hard to make them matter. There isn't a single interesting situation either, and those that could've, theoretically, been interesting just scream wasted potential. There are some rare good bits and enjoyable Monkey Island references, but those are too few and far between.

If you're looking for a good casual adventure game, pick Fran Bow, not this one. A shame, 'cause it does look charming.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Are you sure that kids wouldn't like it? There are really too many examples to list where something seems (borderline) dull and stupid/retarded to adults but kids love it to death for some unfathomable reason. Target audience and all that...

It hasn't got a single negative review on Steam, so I'm surprised that you found it that bad.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Not bad (as in really bad bad), just dull. Never rising above mediocre in any respect, is how I'd describe it. No idea about Steam reviews; I don't read those - I liked the art style so I bought the game.

Fair enough though, no idea what a small kid would say about it. However, back in my days as a child, I used to enjoy much better adventure games (grumble grumble).

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Fair enough though, no idea what a small kid would say about it. However, back in my days as a child, I used to enjoy much better adventure games (grumble grumble).

Hey, at least it's an adventure game! Modern kids barely see these anymore!

Then again, not giving your kid Monkey Island 1 and 2 to play should be considered child abuse.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
cootalot2-4.png

Tells me everything I need to know about environmental and puzzle design.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom