Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Neverwinter Nights 1 - is it worth it?

hell bovine

Arcane
Okay, I got my hands on NWN - a game that I have never played. I've never also played NWN2.

Ran NWN for half an hours when I had a little time today and I liked the graphics a lot (which surprised me because I hate "early 3D" stuff). They are just so clean and simple, it's almost adorable :D

So yeah, now on to the gameplay part - is it worth it?

I have also a lot of modules (official and fan made). I've heard that some of them are good and that the latest expansion is also fine?

I know it's biowarean crap but I liked KotoR and Mass Effect (didn't like Dragon Age), so yeah I'm ready to eat some shit here and there (in some cases everywhere) while I play.
SoU and HotU instead of the official campaign.

As for mods - favourites:
Almraiven and its sequel (the story is unfinished, but I think the mod author is slowly getting there, so in a couple of years maybe... still very much worth playing)
The bastard of Kosignan (only one episode was translated back then, but maybe they finished translating the rest by now; or you can play it in French)
Recipe for Horror (dark comedy with a nice plot twist)

Also I recall playing and enjoying these (but to be honest, I don't remember what they were about anymore):
Runes of Blood
Darkness over Daggerford
A Hunt through the Dark (the adventures of a smurf elf! :D)
Elegia Eternum (I think that one was about madness?)
The Shadow Queen (a mod aimed to connect Sou and Hotu)

There was also one simple, but very useful mod for creating and outfitting characters to use in other mods.

janior

Arcane
Patron
Hordes of the Under Dark are decent(if you're in dungeon crawlers sort of stuff), story wise it's pretty meh but was acceptable.

eXalted

Arcane
I'm having a hell of a fun in the Toolset.

Why didn't I try this earlier?!

(earlier = 13 years)

eXalted

Arcane
Oh, gosh, I thought that the trash mobs are only in the Beggar Nest....

I'm happy that I started exploring what modules are out there!

The OC sounds to me like them old NES (Nintendo) titles. When I was a child I was so happy when I had a new game of a favorite movie of mine and my disappointment when I discover that it's a sidescroller with a constant trash mob killing (the the game is for example Home Alone).

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Summons are for scrubs; killspeed and reaction time of AI is slow. Also, enjoy your party size XP penalty.

Though evidently the thought of Sharwyn being raped by my animals is what's keeping me going on in this game
Apparently a similar line of thought was occurring to whomever wrote HotU, because in HotU there's a scene that teases the player with that option, but it never comes to fruition.

hell bovine

Arcane
Summons are for scrubs; killspeed and reaction time of AI is slow. Also, enjoy your party size XP penalty.
I liked that evil quest to get the special summons in HotU. Otherwise you could get far better pets by using enchantment and necromancy spells, though the game bugged out for me on one occasion because of that.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Is it worth it? Nay. Unless you're going for some fanmade content like the Nordock multiplayer setting (good ol' times).

hell bovine

Arcane
I liked that evil quest to get the special summons in HotU.
Which quest is that?
There is a quest to rescue a baby in SoU, I don't remember the details, but you can choose to keep it instead, if you don't mind playing evil. In HotU there is a machine you can use to make a summoning item from the kid. I think one of the summons was a drider, the other a goblin.

Xor

Arcane
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I liked that evil quest to get the special summons in HotU.
Which quest is that?
There is a quest to rescue a baby in SoU, I don't remember the details, but you can choose to keep it instead, if you don't mind playing evil. In HotU there is a machine you can use to make a summoning item from the kid. I think one of the summons was a drider, the other a goblin.
Oh. I never imported a character from SoU (I never bothered finishing it) so I guess that's why I never got that quest.

Eirinjas

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
The original campaign has a maudlin, mediocre story, with lots of trash mobs, but I still think it's worth playing. The expansions are better, true, but they also contain throwbacks to the OC, so... play them all.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
The bastard of Kosignan (only one episode was translated back then, but maybe they finished translating the rest by now

The fifth and final translated episode was uploaded to the new vault a day or so ago: By the Word & the Blade. The first four are found here.

There was also one simple, but very useful mod for creating and outfitting characters to use in other mods.

Yep:
Pretty Good Character Creator / Customizer (PGC3) powered by IGIPE

Nahel

Arcane
With so many good modules playing OC creates the risk of disgusting you of the game. As a teenager starved for games, the orc caves and the second city nearly crushed all my motivation. And there are so many good modules, that you can reach 100 hours easily without ever touching that damn campaign. Hotu is good enough, but i never understood all the love for SOTU. I found the story worst than the OC even if there was less trash mobs.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Despite what the KKK says, I enjoyed playing un-modded NWN OC (and SOU and HOTU). Maybe I was young and naive, or maybe I'm just a shitlord. Still, it had its moments and quite some atmosphere, especially in Act I.

And then there was the multiplayer, that was absolutely divine, both actual DM-ran campaigns and persistent "heavily modded" worlds.

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
this game sucks it sucks it sucks it sucks i quit sometime in chapter 3 i never finished it was so boring it sucks it sucks

people say the expansions are better they're just as boring those people are idiots idiots idiots

hell bovine

Arcane
The bastard of Kosignan (only one episode was translated back then, but maybe they finished translating the rest by now

The fifth and final translated episode was uploaded to the new vault a day or so ago: By the Word & the Blade. The first four are found here.

Yep:
Thanks for the info. I probably will have to buy NWN on gog, because I can't seem to find my CDs anymore.

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter

Yep:
Thanks for the info. I probably will have to buy NWN on gog, because I can't seem to find my CDs anymore.

i would give you mine but i set them on fire because the gamne was terrible

imweasel

NWN OC is fun, but nothing special. I don't really get why it gets so much hate here on the fagdex, but OH WELL.

Anyway, the expansions are much better than the OC and Hordes of the Underdark (or Shadows of Undrentide, I forgot which one is better) is a gem. You should definitely play them.

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
NWN OC is fun, but nothing special. I don't really get why it gets so much hate here on the fagdex, but OH WELL.

prolly because alot of people here didn't like the game

i didn't like it either

nwn 1 > nwn 2 btw OP :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom