Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Neverwinter Nights 2 : The Underrated Gem

Discussion in 'Obsidian Entertainment' started by Abhay Saini, Feb 19, 2020.

?

NWN2 vs other RPGs

1. NWN2 is God

3 vote(s)
    7.1%
  2. NWNw2 is underrated

14 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. NWN2 has bad camera

21 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. BG2 is my god and iam a fag

4 vote(s)
    9.5%
  5. I am a punk who hates NWN2 because i lack any real brain

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Abhay Saini Literate

Abhay Saini
    I played this game after playing Icewind Dale I&2, Baldur's Gate 1&2, Dragon Age Origins.
    And to my surprise, i found this game, despite its clunkiness and bad camera, to be full of a rich, lively atmosphere, brilliant High fantasy setting interspersed by demonic lore of D&D and having the awesme D&D 3rd Edition ruleset.

The Omnious King of the Shadows, the Great War, the references to gith and devourers make for an interesting backstory. The uneasiness amongst the wild animals, nature and the goblinoid tribes also point to a general agitation.

The Beginning of the Game, the quaint town of West Harbor, with its brilliant colors, simple and cool friends, interesting NPC villagers and the fair with its games could possibly be one of the best introductions to an unexplored word. The dialogues are very natural, the sports are fun and the environment is also pretty colorful. +1

The Githyanki attack seems a bit out of the way because Dark Dwarves and Gith are supposed to be tough motherfuckers and not pathetic underlings meant to be disposed off by meager peasants, a deer hunter and a parlor trickster. -1

The path to Neverwinter is one of the best "anticipatory beginnings of a great journey". The omnious warnings to stick to the road, the quaint, lonely inn at the edge of the swamp, the mysterious crypts and caves in the jungles and swamp, the haunting art of the crypts all make for a great buildup.

Fort Locke, was like an American frontier settlement in the Wild West, meant to uphold the law of the land. Small but compact.

The city itself is a mammoth, of which we can initially explore only the fringes. The city is massive, detailed and has many quaint incidents like the finding of the wolf, the great arrival of the Luskan ships and the gradual ascent in altitude.

Later on, Ammon Jerro's Haven was a great introduction to the Demoni lore, with scintillating beasts leering at the puny humans.

Old Owl Well has a very omnious and quaint name with memories of apocalyptic zombie hordes, and the desert terrain really lives up to its name. Tracking the beasts in their rocky hideouts, is a grand game, with trolls and bugbears to spice up the fights.

The Keep was well done as well as we have to spend our money judciciously and on the proper things else, things might go awry. (scouting the roads to keep travellers safe, protecting merchants, improving infrastructure and in general playing the good guy, is very satisfying)

And comparing all this to the shabby Athkatla, dreary landscape of BG1, "trying to be God cliched villain" Irenicus, people abuse NWN2 so much. I feel like smashing their nerdy faces to bits.

• Friendly x 3
    • retadred x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • meh x 1
    • cool story bro x 1
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite

Roguey
    Shouldn't you be working on Starfield, Ferret?

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Xamenos Learned

Xamenos
    Decent bait, but I've seen better. Have a (you), you deserve it.

^ Top  
  4. Dorateen Arcane

Dorateen
    Storm of Zehir is the more underrated gem, as far as the Neverwinter Nights series goes.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. DavidBVal 4 Dimension Games Patron Developer

DavidBVal
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
    NWN2 had good expansions and had some great community content and persistent multiplayer servers.

The Crossroads keep was ok.

That's about it.

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  6. Alpan Magister Patron

Alpan
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    Good eye for detail on this guy.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    • Absolutely Haram Absolutely Haram x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Abhay Saini Literate

Abhay Saini
    I never could quite enjoy Baldur's Gate 2, primarily because of :-
    1. Athkatla :- This city was dreary as hell. With dull shades of browns and greys, and square houses, it looked like a true slum than a fantasy slum.
    2. Hype :- People praise it so much but it fell flat.
    3. Excessive Epicness of lore :- Normally, in a story or game, the simple characters/places come first and the divine/demonic level godly "items monsters and magic" come later. In BG2, we are introduced to Djinns, Golems and Beholders from the very start. Liches are as common as goblins. And strangely, we don't have powerful goblins or orcs, which are the staple diet of every fantasy. A dish with only toppings and no base is no dish.
    4. Villains :- Irenicus is introduced from the very start. That takes away the charm of finding the villain. Compare for eg, NWN2, where the King of the Shadows, though referenced from the beginning, is not clearly described until the very end. Also, in IWD, the Mighty Belhifet, is given vague references to but described at the end.
    5. Voice Acting :- BG2's voice acting seems dull and flat. Icewind Dale at least, feels epic. Brother Everard, Hrothgar, Belhifet, Yuxonemi and other foes of IWD seem much more epic than Anomen, Irenicus, Keldorn, Bodhi etc.
    6. Unconventional Fantasy :- Although it describes itself as High Fantasy, it doesn't give that feeling. High Fantasy or Tolkinesque Fantasy is much different from BG2. It more northern european, has bright vivid art, epic dialogue. BG2 has a mixture of renaissance southern european, north african and baghdadian cultures, which just seems a mishmash.
    7. Companion Hype :- I find the companions in BG2 utterly boring, with few exceptions. Anomen is a whining pussy, Jan is an annoying gnome, Minsc is an irritating simpleton etc. Dragon Age Origins has much more fleshed out characters and their voice acting, art etc is just in a different league. NWN2 companions are also nothing special but they at least are conventional. BG2 aren't even conventional. They are just a weird mix who somehow got popular because the game itself was one of the earliest.

• Shit x 4
    • Participation Award x 1
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. aweigh Arcane

aweigh
    Yes. NWN2 is pretty gud. I have very fond memories of it, played it twice and been kinda wanting to run through it a third time, do OC, MotB and Zehir, give myself the excuse of completing the story in order to finally finish Storm of Sozzy.

<3 Neeshka!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • cuck cuck x 1
    • Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Goldschmidt Literate

Goldschmidt
    Shit poll. Faggot.

• Old Old x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    ^ Top  
  11. Red Panda Ho, ho, ho Dreijudlihodiho Patron

Red Panda
    If i remember about NWN 2 OC i always have to think how it just drags on and on and on.

And suddenly you have a base that you can manage.
    And suddenly there are big battles where you have to decide what troops you take with you.
    And suddenly Neeshka - NEESH - KA

And suddenly and suddenly and on and on and on...
    Zzzzzz...

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Elex Arbiter

Elex
    And suddenly mask start.

^ Top  
  13. Gaius maximus Arbiter

Gaius maximus
    The greatest sin of never 2 is that
    Its too easy.

^ Top  
  14. BarbequeMasta Educated

BarbequeMasta
    I never played much of it purely due to camera, I enjoyed the other aspects of what I played(more than the first one even) but the camera was borderline unplayable from what I remember.

• Participation Award Participation Award x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)