Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition - Beamdog's final enhancement - now with new premium modules

Farewell young Prince into the night

From "Julius Borisov", one of the Beamdog employees, in a Steam forum response to one of a plethora of the inane bugs introduced with the latest stable patch 1.79:

"Hi there! We're small team, trying our best and working as hard as we can. In 2018 during a livestream we said the NWN:EE project will take 3 years. Yes, the models haven't arrived yet. But we've been working on the new renderer for more than a year already. It's still not finished. We need to finish it to substantially improve the game's stability and performance.

During 2019, we released a few beta builds, tested things, including the 64bit support. Now the game is updated, it's now 64bit, so it can work on Catalina."

This 1.79 patch, which took a little over a year to release (seriously?), has some glaring problems which can be found within minutes of opening the client. One of the most infuriating for me is that all the menu buttons must now be clicked on PRECISELY near the top part of the button (not in the middle like a normal, functioning button) due to some issue with fullscreen mode being disabled and hidden by default. Not to mention a few reproduceable crashes I found almost immediately. And, naturally, the performance is still clearly inferior when compared to the original product.

TL,DR: "We're a tiny team; give us time. BTW, we removed all the original incarnations of the classic games we enhanced and bundled them with our new versions, so please buy the digital deluxe edition of a bastardized, buggy remake of a 15+ year old game for the low price of $63.79."

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
We know they obviously don't Beta test these patches, do they do any alpha testing?
That patch has been available to all on steam beta branch since early august and has undergone several updates with a hundred or so fixes.

Cael

Arcane
Hahaha, that's terrible ;D
I-Regret-Nothing-Cat-696x790.png

Another stable patch dropped (still named 1.79, but with an additional affix of 8193.3) and it appears to have fixed a few of the more glaring crashes I was encountering. Still, I am forced to open the console in order to set the resolution I want. The lack of a simple in-options fullscreen toggle is bewildering. Some crashes persist - and graphical "key-holing", perhaps one the most abhorrent abominations ever created by mankind, is enabled by default and must be turned off via the console.

I hear nothing but complaints on Switch/PS4 forums about performance and the agonizingly miniscule UI. I mean, I guess it's your fault if you buy a game like NWN on a console, but still. It's unfortunate that B-dog decided to port NWN to every device known to man, which has undoubtedly left their already meager post-launch team spread "like butter scraped over too much bread."

See ya'll next decade for another 10 years of forgotten promises, excuses, and beings comprised entirely of molasses sitting behind computers at the Beamdog Patch Headquarters.

d1nolore

Savant
Beamtard: the destroyer of legacies.

Atleast the multi-player listings are there. I imagine servers won't update until the patch is patched.

eXalted

Arcane
Sooo why do I need the Enhanced Edition when the original game runs completely fine for me and there are absolutely no issues with any (old) modules?

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Another stable patch dropped (still named 1.79, but with an additional affix of 8193.3) and it appears to have fixed a few of the more glaring crashes I was encountering. Still, I am forced to open the console in order to set the resolution I want. The lack of a simple in-options fullscreen toggle is bewildering. Some crashes persist - and graphical "key-holing", perhaps one the most abhorrent abominations ever created by mankind, is enabled by default and must be turned off via the console.

I hear nothing but complaints on Switch/PS4 forums about performance and the agonizingly miniscule UI. I mean, I guess it's your fault if you buy a game like NWN on a console, but still. It's unfortunate that B-dog decided to port NWN to every device known to man, which has undoubtedly left their already meager post-launch team spread "like butter scraped over too much bread."

See ya'll next decade for another 10 years of forgotten promises, excuses, and beings comprised entirely of molasses sitting behind computers at the Beamdog Patch Headquarters.
You can't see, but I'm laughing in Diamond edition.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Sooo why do I need the Enhanced Edition when the original game runs completely fine for me and there are absolutely no issues with any (old) modules?

It's better to have two versions of NWN that don't work reliably for everyone, rather than just one.

d1nolore

Savant
I never had any problems with standard NWN. I think the problem is bioware had very adept programmers, where as Bumdog has amateurs fiddling with the code breaking things.

Poseidon00

Arcane
It's really a shame that Beamdog of all people took hold of NWN. I always enjoyed this game for some reason and the toolset had potential.

How long has it been since we got a peek at that one new substandard Aribeth asset? Over a year?

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
How long has it been since we got a peek at that one new substandard Aribeth asset? Over a year?

I think so. I haven't really been following development.

It's been about 2 years since the announcement. At least, I interviewed Beamdog CEO back on 09-Dec-17.

Since then, we got Darkness Over Daggerford EE and Tyrants of the Moonsea EE.

And the EE release caused Savant to overhaul his Aielund Saga (neither EE exclusive nor monetized).

Not sure if the multi-player community has grown or not, maybe it has, but I don't MP.

I haven't really been following the NWN community in general either. I mainly just read Swordflight comments on the Vault. Last I checked, the community is spread over multiple forums: new Vault, Beamdog and Steam. And neither seemed very active.

This is reflected in my NWN-related viewership.

Overall, the feeling I get is one of... decline.

Cael

Arcane
It's really a shame that Beamdog of all people took hold of NWN. I always enjoyed this game for some reason and the toolset had potential.

You will look at it forever! *oster jiggles his titties* Forever!!!

Fishy

Savant

Wunderbar

Arcane

Beamdog's latest company values. I like to reassure myself by reading through them while attempting to play the cluster-fucking-dumpster-fire that is NWN: EE.

Is it really that bad? I was thinking of wasting away (and reedeming my younger self) my life playing this and the expansions

It's bad, considering the unfinished state in which it was released (especially on consoles), and it's bad due to how much time has passed since official release (TWO YEARS) with little to no tangible improvements to the underlying game engine or to the piss-poor UI (which has always been the biggest failure of the original game in my eyes).

As far as I can tell there is still no fullscreen option for the typical end-user (I think if you dig deeper into console commands you may be able to adjust it). The most obvious "improvements" are a mash-up of blurry post-processing effects and cheap filters that make the FPS even more unstable. There's also a blasphemous "key-holing" effect that is enabled by default and can only be disabled by using console commands (who would do this???) I still experience far more crashes and instability on the EE than I do on Diamond, although the LATEST development build (8193.7) appears to have alleviated some of the previous fps problems on my end.

It remains clear to me that this was a half-baked project which was rushed to completion in order to maximize sales via the console-plebes.

To be fair, Diamond still has the shitty UI and general wonkiness, and so the EE may not be an awful invesment if you're just looking for nostalgia - also depending on what your priorities are regarding multiplayer and certain modules. But it may still take another three years for Beamdog to achieve something that is worth presenting, because right now it's a modpack and not a very good one at that.

I will give some credit (or at least, withhold blame) toward Beamdog for not yet injecting their own junk into NWN (except for a new main menu splash image which looks awful). They massacred BG1 with their "innovation".

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom