Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition - Beamdog's final enhancement - now with new premium modules

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Honestly, NWN was so crap that an ACTUAL EE would be nice.
You know, with better controls, some decent visuals, better UI...
But they don't even seem to be doing these stuff. So what the hell is the point?

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
They are supposed to be backwards compatible, though of course concern has already been expressed by some content creators.

Expect incompatibilities, glitches and bugs. Afterall, their Infinity Engine EEs are still being patched (to 2.5).

That said, the EE is gonna be great for the community overall. I would ignore the negative Nancys here: the Codex has been irrelevant in regards to NWN commentary since the first review by Saint.

As a huge fan of the NWN / NWN2 community.. I have to say I am pretty disappointed.

If beamdog had announced this in a vaccume I would be doing backflips with excitement. The problem is they are basically adding fucking nothing and slapping a 19 dollar price tag on it.

As felipepepe said already, NWN1 was Trent's baby and they have the source code. The sky is the limit. They could of revitalized premium modules or added more hooks into the game for content creators and taken this thing into the NWN2 without shit camera world.

They are adding basically nothing and throwing it in a basket at your local garage sale. Depressing.

Unwanted

Musaab

Unwanted
As felipepepe said already, NWN1 was Trent's baby and they have the source code. The sky is the limit. They could of revitalized premium modules or added more hooks into the game for content creators and taken this thing into the NWN2 without shit camera world.

They are adding basically nothing and throwing it in a basket at your local garage sale. Depressing.

We should be grateful that they aren't adding anything. The last thing I need is a 3D lecture on being non-binary.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

We should be grateful that they aren't adding anything. The last thing I need is a 3D lecture on being non-binary.

Don't be edgy. They could never compete with the custom module scene anyways. I won't play the OC ever again even if they remake it from the ground up. Trannies or no.

NWN1 is better served as a tool with developer support and updates. They should be beefing up the asset pipelines, extending NW-Script and adding support for premium modules. Let the community do the leg work.

Give this game a second wind and hopefully show WoTC / Hasbro they can milk roleplayers as well as EA milks The Sims.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
If they want to really enhance the game they need to give you full party control like in NWN2, including spellbooks, level ups etc.
That would be a significant positive change for mods/modders too, because as it is, everything has to be balanced so a single character can defeat the encounter, because you can't really rely on the fucktarded AI (and you can never change spell selections of companions). That would be an actual enhancement that might be worth the money, especially if they re-balance the OC and expansions accordingly.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Something I said a while back:

The problem with updating NWN is that the scope for improvement is endless. There's no excuse of missing 2D art assets to allow you to focus your efforts. Do you start making ultra-HD models for everything? It would be a potentially monumental undertaking.

When you can upgrade anything, where do you even start? For a small company, the easiest choice may be to start by updating nothing and then see what the community demands.

getter77

Augur
I guess it'll come down to the full scope of what they are ultimately launching with on this and any subsequent ambitions for it spelled out soon after, but on the surface level, I'd suppose this would be their Mid-Range or lower project of their purported assortment being kicked around internally.

d1nolore

Savant
This is actually an easy fix and easy sell. NWN still has a surprisingly decent sized online and modding community. If they do a good enough job and get those core fans onboard and the more recently gone players back it will profit.

The original campaign was always the weakest point of NWN, I doubt anyone will be upset if they tweek it. Its an easy fix: implement the improved features from the expansions into the original campaign. Add half a dozen side quests, maybe something like a Deekin side quest in chapter 2(or something if that's too gay use a OC henchman). Add a dozen new spells, maybe a prestige class. The OC can only get better.

Then focus on multiplayer and modding additions; fixes, new support features, a new tileset(which can be used in the OC).

Easy. Most of the work is already done by the expansions. Plus all the haks and mods already show what the player base wants.

Hopefully they stay away from adding lesbian vampires and sodomy themed quests, or whatever it is they seem to enjoy.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
As a huge fan of the NWN / NWN2 community.. I have to say I am pretty disappointed.

If beamdog had announced this in a vaccume I would be doing backflips with excitement. The problem is they are basically adding fucking nothing and slapping a 19 dollar price tag on it.

NWN1 was Trent's baby and they have the source code. The sky is the limit. They could of revitalized premium modules or added more hooks into the game for content creators and taken this thing into the NWN2 without shit camera world.

I honestly don't care. Did you read my write-up? At the end of the day, all that matters to me is expanding the player-base. I want more people to experience the likes of Swordflight, Aielund etc.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

NWN1 was Trent's baby and they have the source code. The sky is the limit. They could of revitalized premium modules or added more hooks into the game for content creators and taken this thing into the NWN2 without shit camera world.

I honestly don't care. Did you read my write-up? At the end of the day, all that matters to me is expanding the player-base. I want more people to experience the likes of Swordflight, Aielund etc.

Right.. and those changes would do that? Nobody wants to play a dead game with "Post-Processing Effects".
If this game doesn't bomb completely and put them out of business, I'll count that as a the best case scenario.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Right.. and those changes would do that. Nobody wants to play a dead game with "Post-Processing Effects".
If this game doesn't bomb completely and put them out of business, I'll count that as a the best case scenario.

Also, those who have built campaigns don't want Beamdog fucking around with too much and breaking them; that's probably what the select consultants from NWN community told Beamdog.

lightbane

Arcane
When you can upgrade anything, where do you even start? For a small company, the easiest choice may be to start by updating nothing and then see what the community demands.

I never paid too much attention to NWN modding, but wasn't there a few years ago a massive loss of custom content after one of the primary webpages for that closed down?

Anyways, this is golden, truly scrapping the bottom of the barrel. Dragon Age: EE when?

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
No reasonable amount of enhancing could possibly turn the terribly designed OC good.

Much less the type of "enhancing" that beamdog usually do...

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

NWN2 almost had backwards compatibility with NWN1 modules. Most of the scripts work and you can import NWN1 modules into NWN2 and get at least a starting point. Convo's / most vfx's work completely too.

As long as their changes are additive, it won't break anything.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Friendly reminder that Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, Planescape: Torment, Icewind Dale, and Neverwinter Nights could be open-sourced if Beamdog wanted to!

I don't think that's true. I would assume that code is owned by WoTC.

Something I said a while back:

The problem with updating NWN is that the scope for improvement is endless. There's no excuse of missing 2D art assets to allow you to focus your efforts. Do you start making ultra-HD models for everything? It would be a potentially monumental undertaking.

Right so my argument is to remove the engine-level limitations and let the community do the work. Maybe throw in some flashy new stuff to get more players. Lilura is right, if this game injects a bunch of players into the community again, it won't matter what they added. Everyone wins.

I just don't think it will happen.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
As long as their changes are additive, it won't break anything.

Additions can still imbalance preexisting campaigns. Anyway, I guess we'll see what happens down the track. IE:EEs have gone through how many years of patching and modification, with 2.5 currently in the pipeline? Overall, I'm not depressed about this announcement; on the contrary.

Nerevar

N'wah
Patron
Repressed Homosexual
Make the Codex Great Again! Pathfinder: Wrath
Holy shit guys I am beyond excited! What will they add I wonder.

I already hate beamdog and expect nothing from them after SoD and the retarded shit they put in BG:EE but..... It is gonna be worse isn't it...

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
I have an idea how to enhance NWN OC. Just add Geralt.
113660_OWFMCdnf0t_71gjasoydzy.jpg

Geralt is in Neverwinter looking for
__ciri_the_witcher_and_the_witcher_3_drawn_by_ilya_kuvshinov__2134eb4fc674ea5435b78630e340298b.jpg

While he's looking everywhere he fucks random chicks and cures the plague or whatever that was about. The campaign is now enhanced.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I have an idea how to enhance NWN OC. Just add Geralt.
113660_OWFMCdnf0t_71gjasoydzy.jpg

Geralt is in Neverwinter looking for
__ciri_the_witcher_and_the_witcher_3_drawn_by_ilya_kuvshinov__2134eb4fc674ea5435b78630e340298b.jpg

While he's looking everywhere he fucks random chicks and cures the plague or whatever that was about. The campaign is now enhanced.

You're late to the party.
Then again it seems beamdog is just pilfering the vault / client extender for their changes anyways.

https://neverwintervault.org/projec...nversion-project-skinmeshed-geralt-models-4-6

geralt04.jpg

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Apparently the article I linked to for the features - broke embargo date and isn't the full story of what they are adding.

So hopefully their twitch stream goes into more detail.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom