Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition - Beamdog's final enhancement - now with new premium modules

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Hah! Same old shit from Beamdog then. I don't know much about programming, but maybe they should hire someone to number/code a path of instructions in their games for their monkeys to follow - like they did when I was a kid for kiddie drawings and plastcine models that had to be coloured in...
I'll check back on it in five years if I'm not happily married.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Good luck with "happily." Married isn't too hard but happily.... zoiks. Just my relatives alone makes me want to stay bachelor for several lifetimes.

Cael

Arcane
Hah! Same old shit from Beamdog then. I don't know much about programming, but maybe they should hire someone to number/code a path of instructions in their games for their monkeys to follow - like they did when I was a kid for kiddie drawings and plastcine models that had to be coloured in...
connect-the-dots-drawing-kids-coloring-europe-travel-dot-to-dot-coloring-pages-l-14ac5e464cc6f236.jpg

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Good luck with "happily." Married isn't too hard but happily.... zoiks. Just my relatives alone makes me want to stay bachelor for several lifetimes.

I do think a happy marriage will prevent me from gaming anyomre; even if I find a girl interested in games - WTF are we gonaa do? Play this shit together?.

connect-the-dots-drawing-kids-coloring-europe-travel-dot-to-dot-coloring-pages-l-14ac5e464cc6f236.jpg

That's exactly what I was thinking of! I even mis-remembered it as being more complicated. Obviously if you sent it to Beamdog, they'd have to add boobs and a huge dick; but it should get Trent Oster started on his professional development plan for his staff at least...

Perkel

Arcane
Well at least it means they will be working on NWN2 and its expansions.
Hopefully they can fix NWN2 being fucking resource hog and garbage camera.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Cael

Arcane
Yeah. That resource hog thing is a big problem for me and my ancient rig. Game jerks whenever the toon moves or the camera angle turns. PITA.

Perkel

Arcane

I think Beamdog is done with Edition Enhancing: https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/axis-allies-online-by-beamdog.126125/#post-6020647

It especially wouldn't make sense to work on NWN2 after the first one already didn't sell so well.

Well NWN1 was always garbage that only retards played.
NWN2 isn't anything better but MOTB is fucking sublime which is sole reason why it would sell.

deama

Prophet
Maybe someone can redo NWN2 in NWN? How hard would it even be? Can just rip the assets from NWN2, right?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Brent Knowles is no longer with Beamdog: https://www.linkedin.com/in/brentwdknowles/

Project Director
Company Name Beamdog
Dates Employed Dec 2015 – Oct 2018
Employment Duration 2 yrs 11 mos

Design, production and quality assurance work on Planescape Torment Enhanced Edition;started a project director role August 2017

And here I imagined a decent new module directed by him.

Maybe he finished it and it's just finishing touches and QA now? :fabulouslyoptimistic:

Nope, he worked on Axis & Allies: http://blog.brentknowles.com/2019/04/19/iceland/

In non-vacation news, I’m settling into my role as the Technical Lead for the Centre for Innovative Media at NAIT. We are working on several interesting projects spanning machine learning, augmented reality, and virtual reality. Definitely a different experience than any I had in the video games industry but certainly building on the skills and experience I have acquired.

(Also, my last project at Beamdog was announced a couple months ago: Axis & Allies Online! This is an incredibly fun game to play and I’m excited for it to be released)

FWIW he is making his own game in his free time: http://blog.brentknowles.com/2018/12/16/end-of-year-check-in/

Life still finds me pretty busy with chasing after my kids and work, not doing much in the way of writing. I am working on my own game in my free time, but it is too early to share details there. In terms of other updates, I left Beamdog a couple months ago to join NAIT, a polytechnic in Edmonton. It is quite a change of pace from what I’ve done in the past but it is exciting. I’m not actually teaching. Instead I’m the senior technical lead for the Centre for Innovative Media. Which basically means a lot of my experience in the games industry is going to be transferred into the wider domain of industry in general. Details still being figured out but here’s a link to NAIT’s Industry Solutions of which our centre is a part. You can also check out our profile page.

deama

Prophet
Maybe someone can redo NWN2 in NWN? How hard would it even be? Can just rip the assets from NWN2, right?

Holy shit no, NWN1 is a million times worse than NWN2 in every aspect. Except for the shitty camera, EVERYTHING in NWN2 is a massive improvement over the trash that is the first game.
What? But I keep hearing that NWN2's engine is shittier than NWN1 around here all the time? Do I have dementia now?

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron

Holy shit no, NWN1 is a million times worse than NWN2 in every aspect. Except for the shitty camera, EVERYTHING in NWN2 is a massive improvement over the trash that is the first game.
What? But I keep hearing that NWN2's engine is shittier than NWN1 around here all the time? Do I have dementia now?

NWN2 has a harder to use editor but other than that:
- less excessive "making the player wait" mechanics than NWN1
- actual party control
- dynamic height levels for better-looking landscapes

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Ignore him, NWN just touched his vagina as a child and now he becomes enraged if someone mentions it. NWN2 is better and slicker and more modern, but NWN had more ability with the modding. NWN2 can be played looking the same as NWN1 or in a 3rd person view like Witcher or whatever.

deama

Prophet
Ignore him, NWN just touched his vagina as a child and now he becomes enraged if someone mentions it.

Says the guy with this in his signature:

Thief is boring and old and only so loved by simpletons because slowly walking around and bonking blind people on the head is about as complex as they can handle.

:M
He does have a point though. I couldn't continue playing thief after I realised I could just bonk every guard and run around easy peasy.

Dzupakazul

Arbiter
Most of the people I know play and beat the game that way, especially considering that nowadays playing on Expert is considered the norm, and sometimes it takes quite a few hours to find that last piece of loot to put you over the threshold, so they leave behind a lot of stunned bodies to explore freely.

Conversely, these people aren't fans of missions like Casing the Joint. Personally, I use the blackjack "when it feels right".

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Ignore him, NWN just touched his vagina as a child and now he becomes enraged if someone mentions it.

Thief is boring and old and only so loved by simpletons because slowly walking around and bonking blind people on the head is about as complex as they can handle.

He does have a point though. I couldn't continue playing thief after I realized I could just bonk every guard and run around easy peasy.

Of course you're right. Thief is mostly for old women and us oldsters who like to take it slow like ol' Uncle Joe at the Junction and can't be overstimulated with too much going on at once with something as complex as AD&D based games. So we just creep and dodder along and play Thief and bonk people on the head from behind with our billies, like the dotards at the RPG old folks home we are. But I always loved it. Still do. Great modding community. I go back to it every few years. However, I do play NWN and its derivatives more regularly. And Doom...

deama

Prophet

He does have a point though. I couldn't continue playing thief after I realized I could just bonk every guard and run around easy peasy.

Of course you're right. Thief is mostly for old women and us oldsters who like to take it slow like ol' Uncle Joe at the Junction and can't be overstimulated with too much going on at once with something as complex as AD&D based games. So we just creep and dodder along and play Thief and bonk people on the head from behind with our billies, like the dotards at the RPG old folks home we are. But I always loved it. Still do. Great modding community. I go back to it every few years. However, I do play NWN and its derivatives more regularly. And Doom...
I don't suppose you know of any mods that prevent the bonking? Or whether it's even possible? Like, can you just remove the blackjack from inventory or something?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom