Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition - Beamdog's final enhancement - now with new premium modules

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Ignore him, NWN just touched his vagina as a child and now he becomes enraged if someone mentions it.

Says the guy with this in his signature:

Thief is boring and old and only so loved by simpletons because slowly walking around and bonking blind people on the head is about as complex as they can handle.

:M

He does have a point though. I couldn't continue playing thief after I realized I could just bonk every guard and run around easy peasy.

Of course you're right. Thief is mostly for old women and us oldsters who like to take it slow like ol' Uncle Joe at the Junction and can't be overstimulated with too much going on at once with something as complex as AD&D based games. So we just creep and dodder along and play Thief and bonk people on the head from behind with our billies, like the dotards at the RPG old folks home we are. But I always loved it. Still do. Great modding community. I go back to it every few years. However, I do play NWN and its derivatives more regularly. And Doom...
I don't suppose you know of any mods that prevent the bonking? Or whether it's even possible? Like, can you just remove the blackjack from inventory or something?

Er, just don't do it. No need for a messy mod.

cruel

Cipher
This is 80% off on Steam right now, if somebody is interested.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I know Beamdog is a guilty of a number of different crimes hur dur, is it worth the money with 80% discount? Any good modules for someone who only played the original campaigns and expansions? How is multiplayer? Still alive?

Jinn

Arcane
I know Beamdog is a guilty of a number of different crimes hur dur, is it worth the money with 80% discount? Any good modules for someone who only played the original campaigns and expansions? How is multiplayer? Still alive?

If you don't already have a copy with the expansions, it's absolutely worth it for the price just for the hundreds of hours of great module gameplay you can get. Aielund Saga and Swordflight being two such excellent examples.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
Does it offer any new content over the original? Any modules being developed for it?

The only thing enticing me to buy it is Darkness over Daggerford: Enhanced Edition, but it's not worth it for that alone.

Poseidon00

Arcane
New content is slowly being rolled out for the EE's, not by worthless Beamdog of course, but dedicated modders. The Dark Sun world, with some very impressive new models, is nearing completion, and some of the more popular old modules like Aielund Saga is ported to the EE's and the author has made full use of the new features. They are still building on the toolset features as well, and some of them look pretty cool, one of the few pluses of them developing on it.

Basically, if you plan to dive into the very worthwhile module world, there is some stuff to look for here. But NWN Diamond serves just as well for the time being.

cruel

Cipher
The mod Safav mentioned - Darkness over Daggerford - heard good things about it. It is also 75% off now

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Daggerford is just really nice, chill adventuring. Strictly speaking you can convert old modules to NWN EE but the video formats have to be changed if they have any FMVs and it's kind of annoying I guess

Jinn

Arcane
I heard around release that there was a chance EE could break existing modules, but haven't really seen any evidence of this myself or seen particular complaints about it online. Does anyone have any links to such cases so I can avoid playing any such modules with EE? If not, I guess I'll assume it's speculation.

Self-Ejected

Safav Hamon

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot The Real Fanboy
According to Alan Miranda's linkedin, Ossian Studios has been working on an unannounced fantasy RPG in 2018.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/alan-miranda-8401b21?trk=org-employees_mini-profile_title

Also Ossian Studio's programmer works at Beamdog

https://www.linkedin.com/in/smithcraft?trk=org-employees_mini-profile_title

Finally, on the the Darkness over Daggerford steam page they hint their next game will be D&D related

Buying the enhanced edition of Darkness over Daggerford helps to support Ossian Studios’ goal of bringing you more great Dungeons & Dragons adventures!

Last edited:

glass blackbird

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I heard around release that there was a chance EE could break existing modules, but haven't really seen any evidence of this myself or seen particular complaints about it online. Does anyone have any links to such cases so I can avoid playing any such modules with EE? If not, I guess I'll assume it's speculation.

From what I know the main problems are with stuff that uses NWNX (basically this is only gonna be persistent world modules/servers, which probably are going to be updated and migrated over anyway--shouldn't affect you for any stuff you're likely to be downloading and running yourself) or stuff with video files which must be converted due to codec licensing (as described here https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/67783/can-anyone-suggest-a-good-free-bink-to-webm-converter ). You basically have to convert the files from bink to wbm, but that will address the issue. And of course that only affects stuff which was well-produced enough to have video files in it yet also hasn't had any update for the new version.

There's maybe some minor other stuff but I'm not aware of it?

Jinn

Arcane
From what I know the main problems are with stuff that uses NWNX (basically this is only gonna be persistent world modules/servers, which probably are going to be updated and migrated over anyway--shouldn't affect you for any stuff you're likely to be downloading and running yourself) or stuff with video files which must be converted due to codec licensing (as described here https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/67783/can-anyone-suggest-a-good-free-bink-to-webm-converter ). You basically have to convert the files from bink to wbm, but that will address the issue. And of course that only affects stuff which was well-produced enough to have video files in it yet also hasn't had any update for the new version.

There's maybe some minor other stuff but I'm not aware of it?

Thanks for the detailed response, man. Sounds like it's basically a non-issue for me then.

Edija this may be relevant to your initial inquiry.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Pretty sure the creator of Swordflight mentioned having to update it for the EE because of some reason or another. And really, apart from the really good and famous modules, what else is being played so it can generate butthurt on the forums?

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Aeilund Saga and Swordflight are the two fan modules one should play, right? I have Swordflight downloaded here but I'd completely forgotten about it, keke. Need to play it someday.

Jinn

Arcane
Pretty sure the creator of Swordflight mentioned having to update it for the EE because of some reason or another.

I'm pretty sure he said it could be a possibility, but wasn't and couldn't be sure without extensive testing done on the matter. Maybe we can summon him for an updated perspective on the matter.

rogueknight333, any clearer idea about your module's compatibility with EE since it's been out for awhile? I've played a few hours into Chapter Two with EE and haven't had any troubles myself. I wonder if the Aielund Saga folks have much to say about it considering they have all their stuff on the Steam workshop at the moment.

Last edited:

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I'm pretty sure he said it could be a possibility, but wasn't and couldn't be sure without extensive testing done on the matter. Maybe we can summon him for an updated perspective on the matter.

rogueknight333, any clearer idea about your module's compatibility with EE since it's been out for awhile? I've played a few hours into Chapter Two with EE and haven't had any troubles myself.

Just a heads up to people playing Swordflight 4 that it has a rather serious bug if played in the EE version, in which you often cannot click on "Force Field" doors, making it impossible to access some content. This has been reported to Beamdog (it could possibly be relevant in other modules too) but I do not know if or when they will do anything about it. However, I hope to soon put up a revised version of the module with a temporary fix for the problem, and a few other minor tweaks. Hopefully in the next few days.

Jinn

Arcane
Ah, thanks for finding that. I wonder if he found a fix for that or if an EE update has come out since then to address it.

rogueknight333

Arbiter
The bug with Force Field doors in Ch. 4 was corrected (by me) and should not be an issue for anyone playing the latest version of that chapter available.

There is another, somewhat similar, EE bug which has tripped up some players in Ch. 1: a door on the 3rd level of the ruins that, if bashed and destroyed rather than having its lock picked (and some characters lacking that skill would need to bash it) will, if playing the EE, cause the associated area transition to disappear, making progress impossible. Beamdog has indicated that this bug will be corrected by their next patch, and it is possible to work around it using Debug Mode commands, so I have not bothered to address it myself (though unforunately Beamdog seems not to be in a hurry to actually release that patch).

Swordflight, to the best of my knowledge, is more or less playable with EE, and the known bugs EE introduced have either been addressed or are in the process of being addressed. However, it is clear that the probability of running into serious bugs is increased by playing it with the EE.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So I bought this when it was 80% off just because some modules for NWN are pretty good.

But I still hate the way the game plays and will only install it once it has full party control. A cool module like Swordflight deserves proper party control. I love the way it's designed but the combat is just shit because your party members are retards who get themselves killed. NWN has the worst combat in any RPG ever made, in the entire history of RPGs.

But full party control would make it decent.

Some modder have hacked this thing together and it looks pretty decent. The only problem is you can't control your party members' spellcasting yet.

rogueknight333

Arbiter
... A cool module like Swordflight deserves proper party control.

However much FPC might have benefited NWN in general, I am not sure it would really fit with Swordflight, where the primary companion is supposed to be something of an idiot and thus a burden and additional tactical challenge for the player to deal with. Swordflight was specifically designed to work with, and was partly inspired by, NWN's major limitations.

To be sure, I was quite disappointed myself when I first got NWN, and found it did not have FPC, which ruined all my hopes of using its toolset to make an IE-style campaign. Perhaps such a campaign, had I been able to make it, would have been better than Swordflight, but it would have been based on another storyline and generally been very different.

...the combat is just shit because your party members are retards who get themselves killed. NWN has the worst combat in any RPG ever made, in the entire history of RPGs.

Retarded party members and the associated issues is not a problem unique to NWN but is true of every non-FPC game I can think of (unless they either do not have companions at all or the combat is so ridiculously easy no one could be killed by it - either of which could be a problem in its own right) including some games like Fallout and Arcanum that are widely considered to be among the greatest RPGs of all time. Obviously someone who considers the lack of FPC to be a deal-breaker would not want anything to do with NWN (and presumably also not Fallout, Arcanum, Elder Scrolls games and many others), but compared to other non-FPC games specifically, I find NWN's combat system to be relatively quite good, and much more tactically interesting than most. It is even better than some really badly implemented games like NWN2 and Dragon Age: Inquisition that technically have FPC but implemented in such a kludgy and generally poor way that they would probably be better off without it.

Some modder have hacked this thing together and it looks pretty decent. The only problem is you can't control your party members' spellcasting yet.

This appears to be based on Balkoth's Minion Control System, which has been implemented in the most up-to-date version of the Aielund saga, and a slightly modified version of which I use in Ch. 4 of Swordflight.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom