Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

NWN Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition - Beamdog's latest enhancement

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by `Hellion, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Lilura RPG Codex Dragon Lady

Lilura
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Actually, Ossian are pretty good on the aesthetics side. I wouldn't discount them.

Darkness Over Daggerford has some nice DLA-based tileset design (with undulating terrain), and some lovely placeables (like the signs fitted to the walls of buildings).

The only truly impressive image you posted was the tavern one (probably a PW labor of love). The rest look pretty stock.

And NWN2 looks better. A gifted terrain sculptor is going to outdo a gifted tilesetter everytime. That it takes them much longer to create an area is beside the point: we're talking about aesthetics, and good things come to those who wait.

Show me that NWN2 meteor crater that I posted for NWN. Or anything like it. Show me NWN flora. Show me NWN mountains.

Also, this screencap doesn't do the VFX justice: it's molten rock with fiery shimmering distorting the models. This same module has boiling mud and noxious gases with similar fx. Can't do this in NWN.

Placeable density:

You can't get tactical angles like this in NWN:

Also, facial expressions can be done with NWN2. Maerduin did a good job of this in Harp & Chrysanthemum.

NWN2 is a beautiful game with a powerful cam.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 2:33 PM
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  2. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. IncendiaryDevice Arcane

IncendiaryDevice
    Parrots:
    I'll explain my personal position with NWN1 so you have a better understanding of where I'm coming from regards the debacle.

I'm not a modder & have never had any interest in modding generally. This in itself might or might not be a decline mentality, I guess that would depend on each individual. What I personally imagine as the incline aspect of having someone like me in a community is that, by not ever being attracted by modding, I will only judge a game by its non-modded standard - ie: people like me pressure game companies to deliver a finished product. The more money is spent on a game the bigger the pressure. "mods will fix it" will not be a part of people like our's language & the consumer accountability will rest with the developers of the product.

Obviously, the decline aspect of people such as myself is that sometimes we'll forever shit on games where mods do genuinely fix things for the better & we're just being stubborn for not taking the opportunity to play a decent game. We view that as "letting developers off the hook in perpetuity" and therefore perpetually allow inferiority to replicate. As a result, people like us don't usually tend to really get into one specific game beyond the process of simply playing them or occasionally replaying them.

As a result, people like us are never going to be specifically a part of a 'deep community' of any specific game, be it one a site like this laughs at like Skyrim or, equally, a game a site like this is obsessed with like the eternal struggle to make Arcanum a finished product. As such, many of the 'wars' of politics & behind the scenes drama of gaming rarely catches our interest unless its specifically outrageous (such as loot boxes, microtransactions & other money related scams disrupting gameplay design etc). It's a very 'grey' position (see my avatar). We can still be fanboys of specific games though, dedicated fanboys of those games that we deem worthy.

Neverwinter Nights:

NWN is an odd ball for people such as us. It is a combination of modding and completely new game creation. We want to play all the great new campaigns, but preferably without all the usual modding palaver. We just want to be able to hear about a new game someone's made, click the download link and then play it. No formatting, no file moving, no multiple downloads in specific directories, no drastic altering of settings & etc etc etc. Yes, that's really lame isn't it. I get that, if something is worth playing one should put the effort in to getting it. However, people like us aren't dedicated enough to that degree to care about a game so much that we will be determined to go to those lengths. It's just a case of "you have a new game do you? Ok, give us the link & I'll try it", because anything more than that & there's another guy with a game he wants us to try where all there is is a link & download. He's sorted his shit out, so he wins today's allotted amount of time to play a game. For someone like you, with a specific dedication, you live in a completely different world, a world with an equally good purpose, but with different needs and requirement thresholds.

Even as far back as the initial release of NWN I've always asked why doesn't Bioware release the modules as games. Since they're actual games instead of just affectation changes then I'm happy to pay for them & I should think other people would to, just as long as when they're 'released' they are actually finished products worth what the asking price is. People like us will pay to not have to trawl the modding community like blind people at a flea market. Someone's made a great little adventure? Great, shove it on a disc & stick a price on it.

I guess the issue here then becomes one of community philosophical intent combined with the complexities of legality of ownership & the confusion of rights and liabilities. The kind of stuff people such as myself do not wish to get involved in. We're just sitting here waiting for that one link to that game someone said was good. The EE has complicated this even further, no doubt & I've no doubt the community is, once again, discussing these very topics. & this is why I get you balking at me for just looking at the EE and me thinking, "hey, there's some 'new' finished products there that only require a click to download and play & are now supposedly relatively problem-free/bug free/safe-links as guaranteed by the imposition of a price-tag (at least that's how a consumer situation should function)".

If you think purchasing the EE significantly damages the community & that this is credible and important enough an issue that all people should be aware of from a consumer safety standpoint, then by all means educate me on this. If it's just a matter of a community civil-war & general bickering, then also feel free to make me aware of that, but in the mean time, what I see is 'finished products' that may deserve rewarding financially for getting their shit together combined with them being games I'm interested in.

What do you genuinely hope for the future? If I hold out for a few years do you think the community will one day be at one with the EEs? Or are you adamant that this is the beginning of the end of the community you know & love?

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 3:03 PM
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 3
    • Brofist x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Parrots:
    Yeah, you are right, I just downloaded the installer from GOG and it's only the ones in Kingmaker. I thought I had gotten all the others from GOG too, I distinctly remember an installer for them, but now I'm not sure where I got them. Either way, they are available on the NWVault. No need to buy the EE for them.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 2:49 PM
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. YldriE Literate

YldriE
    Parrots:
    Not to be a joykiller but it looks like the big issue is that they go out of their way to zoom in an isometric game. Even Sword Coast Legends, a game that otherwise looks superb from afar, doesn't do that. I know the game being in 3D was a big deal in PR at the time, but it was still a successor to Baldur's Gate 2. This is not a trick question: do NVN players consider it important that the game look good from up close and do they zoom in frequently?

Edit: But to answer the question it does look nice... just overstraining an antiquated engine.

^ Top  
  6. KeighnMcDeath Learned

KeighnMcDeath
    Parrots:
    Am I blind or did I just now fail to realize they removed the NWN DE? I don’t see it listed in search. At least they didn’t remove it from my library.

I only really bought the series for the mods tbh. Actually, I bought it for the POR mod since I was trying to expand a tabletop game with ideas from all the sources (novels, the Ad&D and 3.0 modules, both POR games, POD, SOTSB, COAB)

The old gog version isn’t missing anything is it?

^ Top  
  7. thesheeep Arcane

thesheeep
    Parrots:
    NWN is a single character (+ 2 companions but not even direct control) game and as such it can focus on a much smaller area.
    You don't need to get any real overview if all you directly control is one character.
    So NWN was always meant to played with a close zoom.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Parrots:
    This is what Beamdog do, they force (?) the removal of the original versions from GOG (no idea about Steam) and you can only buy their crap. The originals are bundled with the EEs. So, yeah, you aren't blind, they've removed every original instance of the IE games, with the exception of IWD2.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  9. Lilura RPG Codex Dragon Lady

Lilura
    Parrots:
    Glad they couldn't find the source code for IWD2.

And yeah, the original Diamond edition can only be obtained by purchasing the "Enhanced" edition. This is how they ensure that their edition is the top-selling and effectively the only edition. And yeah, this is what they did with the Infinity Engine games.

As with the IE games, if they left Diamond up as a separate purchase then it would probably outsell "Enhanced" (cheaper, compatible with more servers, doesn't have the Beamdog name attached to it.)

NWN Diamond and NWN2 are not on Steam. NWN2 used to be but got taken down (I think those who puchased it still have it to play). I don't think Diamond or Platinum ever were (I could be wrong, I was never big on Steam).

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Lilura RPG Codex Dragon Lady

Lilura
    Parrots:
    Here is some modding done with NWN:EE enhancements, btw.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018 at 6:42 PM
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Parrots:
    :negative:
    This thread should be nuked out of existence. It is 90 pages of the same shit on endless repetition! This must be the 10th time somebody makes the same statement that beamdog are pile of greedy retards...and then people keep repeating it 10 more times but in different post structure.

• :M :M x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Turjan Arcane

Turjan
    Parrots:
    This is different from any other Beamdog thread how?

Of course, we could always talk about PoE. That would be completely unique.

• Funny Funny x 5
    ^ Top  
  13. Lacrymas Arcane

Lacrymas
    Parrots:
    If Beamdog stop blaspheming and pissing in our soup, then maybe we'll have other things to talk about in a thread dedicated to them. Like, oh, I don't know, make their own game.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Parrots:
    What other beamdog threads? They are all the same,i don't even bother differentiating them. Also PoE is very different,there is that retarded shill safan or safon or what ever his name is. It is clear example of codexian corruption gone too far. Him and infi are sucking each other's dicks soo much that they have become Oroboro!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • incline incline x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

http://blog.beamdog.com/2018/10/october-12-livestream-recap.html

Bonus:

• hopw roewur ne x 1
    • decline x 1
    • STOP! posting x 1
    • cuck x 1
    • Nuke it from orbit x 1
    • Shit x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Bocian Arcane

Bocian
    Parrots:
    Taking lessons from Todd, I see...

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  17. rogueknight333 Educated

rogueknight333
    Parrots:
    On the contrary, a broad overview is desirable to see mobs coming at you and direct long range fire at them immediately, and planning tactics generally. I play NWN fully zoomed out, only occasionally zooming in if there is something in particular that seems to merit a closer look.

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  18. KeighnMcDeath Learned

KeighnMcDeath
    Parrots:
    I don’t believe my IWD EE came with the sound track nor the EE BGI/II.

All sold separately for 9.99 ea⛳️

• Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. Lilura RPG Codex Dragon Lady

Lilura
    Parrots:
    One could be forgiven for thinking that because the cam auto-zooms in on NPCs when you click on them for dialogue purposes. NWN2 does not do this. It keeps the cam exactly where the player had it (unless it's cutscene dialogue).

I play NWN and NWN2 fully zoomed out most of the time for the reason given by Rogueknight.

You can of course get similar angles in NWN. If you get the cam hack you can zoom out pretty far, too, in order to see more of the playing field. What I should have said was that you can't track along such angles (like a dolly cam on rails).

This is the beauty of the NWN2 strategy cam with "move freely" checked.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Generic-Giant-Spider Scholar

Generic-Giant-Spider
    Parrots:
    Refusing to support Beamdog, I ordered the original Neverwinter Nights online though it did not come with box or manual. Or even a CD.

[​IMG]

I think I did something wrong during the installation.

• Funny x 7
    • Brofist x 2
    • nice x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Cael Ask me about Pathfinder Dumbfuck Edgy

Cael
    Parrots:
    I was at one stage considering buying BG:EE and BG2:EE. Then, I saw the trainwreck that was SoD and immediately put cuckdog on the boycott list.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Kruno Scholar

Kruno
    Parrots:
    The Drow woman is screaming "Why have you done this to me Generic-Giant-Spider? I have no legs!".

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Rage Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Generic-Giant-Spider Scholar

Generic-Giant-Spider
    Parrots:
    It was for my main nigga Lolth.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Racist Racist x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. thesheeep Arcane

thesheeep
    Parrots:
    Yeah, that's how you play it.
    And probably most other, too.
    But I can practically guarantee this wasn't what the devs were thinking when developing it. Otherwise, the default view wouldn't be what it is. Nor all the narrow corridors and small levels.

I'm not arguing how it can or should be played, just what was the intention.
    Of course, maybe nobody was thinking about it at all and that's just how it ended up the way it did.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018 at 9:34 AM
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. KeighnMcDeath Learned

KeighnMcDeath
    Parrots:
    Any massive NWN mod collections in one zip/rar/etc?

I’m lazy today.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)