Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights (NWN & NWN2) Modules Thread

NatureOfMan

Educated
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Seems both of those were in the Hall of Fame, don't know how I missed them when searching for PnP conversions. The site really should have a catalogue where you can select which categories to search IMO.

Last edited:

Sabotin

Scholar
I like when stuff gets fixed and some client extender functions are great (almost can't live without sticky toggles for certain builds). The thing is, though, most stuff for nwn is just old; people have been using workrounds since forever. And when you fix things but the module is actually relying on something to be broken it can cause issues. Just look at how EE's backwards compatibility worked out. It's hard to get a "clean" experience of the game with custom modules, there's always some ups and downs, at least if you look close enough/do comparisons.

Skdursh

Savant
I like when stuff gets fixed and some client extender functions are great (almost can't live without sticky toggles for certain builds). The thing is, though, most stuff for nwn is just old; people have been using workrounds since forever. And when you fix things but the module is actually relying on something to be broken it can cause issues. Just look at how EE's backwards compatibility worked out. It's hard to get a "clean" experience of the game with custom modules, there's always some ups and downs, at least if you look close enough/do comparisons.

That's why I have both Diamond and EE, like a true NWN elitist. Anyway, in my experience out of the 10 or so modules I have played on EE things seemed to work well enough for me to not really notice any issues, although I do have a pretty beast system, so if there is lag or something like it for other people, that may not be something I'd have noticed due to pure brute force.

Last edited:

NatureOfMan

Educated
Just completed U1, U2, U3(The Saltmarsh ones) and oh boy, even though I realise they weren't really that good and playing them alone felt kinda off, I liked them quite much. The cleric I rolled for the series got from level 1 to level 7 nearing level 8. The third one, depending on your class and your approach, can be quite tough too. If you completely ignore the fact that you are on a more stealthy type of mission and clearing out the base is not your objective, then be ready to face like 70 Sahluagin on a single medium sized floor level that can snare, sneak attack and pelt you with crossbows. Of course you can run and try to bottleneck them at some door entrances or make ambushes to parts of the whole mini-army and then retreat for a while since its kinda spread out but shit's tough when you realise the whole thing is underwater and you are allowed a leather armor at best and piercing weapons + staves only.

NatureOfMan

Educated
What can additional scripting accomplish in the Aurora toolset anyways? Most complex thing I've seen in a module so far is a riddle system from U3 where you have to input your answer by text. Currently playing C1 and although the module is much more polished than the U-series I've played, some of the 'puzzles' really don't feel like such when the options are presented to you and you just got to click on the right one, doesn't even penalise you when you click on the wrong one and you don't have to reload. I'd like to make a module one day and try to make solutions to puzzles as open-ended as possible. For example can you script a door that unlock if you use a certain item on it, a spell or w/e?

Sabotin

Scholar
You can do some pretty amazing stuff with the toolset (at least relative to the game).

I'm even more impressed by how modders achieve these things in roundabout and inventive ways. Like that door that opens with a keyword in chat: It's just a normal key-only locked door with an invisible/untargetable NPC nearby that listens for the required word and walks up and opens the door with they key in his inventory. Or the fact that (not sure if still the case) ridable horses are actually "tails" that attach to the player, just with their own model and animation sets.

A module that stayed in my memory for the non-standard things would be "Demon". The guy made a whole TCG style mini-game in the vein of MTG for it. Then for his NWN2 module there's a guitar hero minigame in it :lol:. Anyway, I suspect if you want to see the limits of what can be done with the toolset (and even "expanded" ones at that) you'd have to visit some more popular PW. Those people have been at it for... well over a decade by now... Often times when content gets put out it had been made for some PW or other first, but then was released separately for the people's enjoyment. Be it models, effects, music, creatures, scripting systems, you name it.

NatureOfMan

Educated
You can do some pretty amazing stuff with the toolset (at least relative to the game).

I'm even more impressed by how modders achieve these things in roundabout and inventive ways. Like that door that opens with a keyword in chat: It's just a normal key-only locked door with an invisible/untargetable NPC nearby that listens for the required word and walks up and opens the door with they key in his inventory. Or the fact that (not sure if still the case) ridable horses are actually "tails" that attach to the player, just with their own model and animation sets.

A module that stayed in my memory for the non-standard things would be "Demon". The guy made a whole TCG style mini-game in the vein of MTG for it. Then for his NWN2 module there's a guitar hero minigame in it :lol:. Anyway, I suspect if you want to see the limits of what can be done with the toolset (and even "expanded" ones at that) you'd have to visit some more popular PW. Those people have been at it for... well over a decade by now... Often times when content gets put out it had been made for some PW or other first, but then was released separately for the people's enjoyment. Be it models, effects, music, creatures, scripting systems, you name it.
Dude sounds like he has some cool ideas, pretty nice and creative of him. I've been definitely playing PWs. Most of my nearly 300 hrs playtime so far is on Ravenloft POTM. Most exciting things that happened to me were of course when I was playing with a DM and my faction but some things that have caught my attention in regards to scripting and neat ideas are the monsters and animals having something like an ecosystem. If you farm deer in Zone X then Zone X won't have any deer spawn for some time, wolves and other carnivores hunt deer and boars, there's a weather system too - if it's winter herbs won't spawn out in the open and you have to make fortitude checks when outside to determine if you get damaged by frostbite. Wizards and Sorcerers really hate the frostbite mechanic lul. I am only level 8 but dungeons, albeit challenging and good looking, haven't had any more interesting mechanics. Most I can think of is a pressure plate 'puzzle' which is mostly there to limit you from going in the place alone and a pretty nasty place with a hidden door entrance/exit meaning that if you want to gtfo fast or pick up a friend inside and if your Spot skill is low - you're fucked. The quests that NPCs give are pretty damn boring and are really deliveries, bounties, item retrievals in the Sewers or wherever and collect X for potion/money. But that's probably made in purpose since quests like saving teh village from shit and you are a big hero would be strange RPwise since everyone can do them.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I think I once tried to play an Adam Miller module at the height of my NWN dellerium. But I remember thinking it was the same old thing, or at least the monotonous tile sets seemed the same old thing. Ironically, he's considered one of the first NWN module authors to use extensive custom content but I sure didn't see any in that module. Must have been one of his very first ones. Demon seems to be on the RPGCodex-approved list for NWN modules. I should give it a whirl... just as soon as I get the awful AWFUL taste of the voice acting in Dark Waters out of my ears. Friends, there should be an 11th Commandment - Thou shall not do voice acting in amateur Neverwinter Nights modules - EVER! Okay, if you hire professional actors... maybe, like that guy did in that Fallout New Vegas companion mod where he used the actual voice actress who did the character from the original Obsidian game. But please, don't give your mother-in-law a cheap radio shack mic and throw a script down in front of her. Sorry, Adam. I'm sure your mother-in-law is a nice lady who gave it her all, but... my ears.

Mud'

Scholar
Most exciting things that happened to me were of course when I was playing with a DM and my faction but some things that have caught my attention in regards to scripting and neat ideas are the monsters and animals having something like an ecosystem. If you farm deer in Zone X then Zone X won't have any deer spawn for some time, wolves and other carnivores hunt deer and boars, there's a weather system too - if it's winter herbs won't spawn out in the open and you have to make fortitude checks when outside to determine if you get damaged by frostbite. Wizards and Sorcerers really hate the frostbite mechanic lul.

Let me get this straight, there is a working ecosystem and weather system in Ravenloft? If so holy shit, i want to try it out. I wonder if any PW has added some type of minigame at Inns or Taverns to pass the time, like playing cards or dice with other players and if players actually use that sort of thing instead of LARPING with each other before going for the daily grind.

NatureOfMan

Educated
Most exciting things that happened to me were of course when I was playing with a DM and my faction but some things that have caught my attention in regards to scripting and neat ideas are the monsters and animals having something like an ecosystem. If you farm deer in Zone X then Zone X won't have any deer spawn for some time, wolves and other carnivores hunt deer and boars, there's a weather system too - if it's winter herbs won't spawn out in the open and you have to make fortitude checks when outside to determine if you get damaged by frostbite. Wizards and Sorcerers really hate the frostbite mechanic lul.

Let me get this straight, there is a working ecosystem and weather system in Ravenloft? If so holy shit, i want to try it out. I wonder if any PW has added some type of minigame at Inns or Taverns to pass the time, like playing cards or dice with other players and if players actually use that sort of thing instead of LARPING with each other before going for the daily grind.
Well yeah, the things I pointed out are a thing. Also caves don't have a static population meaning that all caves/dungeons, except themed ones like crypts, have a different group of monsters in them from the last time you visited. It's also cool that for example when there are bandits in the caves there are bedrolls, furniture and chests around but when there are slimes there's only bones and ruins in the scenery. I don't know if it was intended but it was quite interesting that after clearing some bandits, upon returning slimes were there and as you guys probably know slimes feed on dead or alive organic matter which led me to think they are supposed to have eaten the bandit corpses RP wise. But it's probably a coincidence.

NatureOfMan

Educated
Regarding a fight in the OC: what the hell was that negative energy spell Linu used that damaged the guardian dragon(the one in the snow globe) for 430 damage? Fuck feels like I've cheated, especially since I only got the fucker to 'Injured' without Linu's spell. My only source of damage was the occasional hit for 10/12 damage by me and Linu and whenever one of her spells hits.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Regarding a fight in the OC: what the hell was that negative energy spell Linu used that damaged the guardian dragon(the one in the snow globe) for 430 damage? Fuck feels like I've cheated, especially since I only got the fucker to 'Injured' without Linu's spell. My only source of damage was the occasional hit for 10/12 damage by me and Linu and whenever one of her spells hits.
I'd guess Harm. :M

If the caster makes a successful melee touch attack, harm uses negative energy to reduce the target creature to 1d4 hit points.
:balance:
Module creators often revise this spell to do an amount of damage dependent on caster level, making harm's effectiveness dependent on the target's health.

Oh and for the record this is what they ultimately went with for 3.5 but NWN is third edition. :) http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/harm.htm

Last edited:

NatureOfMan

Educated
I'd guess Harm. :M

If the caster makes a successful melee touch attack, harm uses negative energy to reduce the target creature to 1d4 hit points.
:balance:
Module creators often revise this spell to do an amount of damage dependent on caster level, making harm's effectiveness dependent on the target's health.
Shit, now I feel dirty. I was pretty helpless against the dragon, greater breach didn't do shit against his defences. Oh well at least I hit him sometimes when I am on power attack mode but honestly I'd still be banging my head looking for a strategy if Linu wasn't my henchman.

NatureOfMan

Educated
Yeah nvm lol. Completely forgot about the amulet. Loaded a save just before the battle, got the amulet and fucking destroyed him without using potions. Brother Toras still going strong as the hardest battle so far(yes I finally decided to do the OC in the year of the lord 2019)

NatureOfMan

Educated
Never thought of using the wayback machine for the Vault. Nice to see legit average ratings for once and a full review to go alongside them.

NatureOfMan

Educated
Man I think I am stuck completely on the two corrupt dragons JUST before the final boss area. I am a 11 Rogue/4 Fighter stick with Linu as my henchman and I am not going to level up any soon. Heal potions are fucking expensive, I have 10 of them and like 23k gold. The dragons just burst me and Linu, I can make myself immune to the fear thru a staff I found but it's fucking useless, I get the bronze dragon to 'Barely injured' at best.

Oh well seems like I am sticking to modules and if I try SoU/HotU I am not rolling a fucking rogue ever again. Never felt more frustrated of the whole henchman/two-player/limited control party before this encounter. Soul-crushing to see that this particular fight isn't hard at all for Paladins, Fighers, Clerics etc too. Also would've helped if I could pick up the monk henchman or something in this chapter since the whole thing with the other henchmen disappearing doesn't make fucking sense.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Try using a bow for this fight maybe. Or get some scrolls to buff up if you've put points in Use Magic Device, but why wouldn't you have. Rogue/Fighter is actually not bad if you go shield + scimitar because knockdown counts as a sneak attack opportunity.

NatureOfMan

Educated
Oh I've got a shitton of scrolls but I am not sure if they will be of any help. Besides the real OP ones like Timestop I can't use. As for weapons I am with a +2 Rapier and a +3 Short dagger and I've selected a couple of feats connected to dual-wielding. Sneak attacks are not an option against dragons sadly.

NatureOfMan

Educated
Ah yes nevermind, I used the good old kiting with a longbow tactic like a man. Linu used harm on the second dragon although that only saved me precious time of going around and running around the dragon like a madman. Now I am on my way of adapting the other big dick tactic of holding mobs at the door vs Morag's Chosen.

NatureOfMan

Educated
Yeah I have that one and I am ready to use it against Morag. I am kinda relieved now really. Now I only need to kill Morag's Chosen and go all in on her with all my potions and scrolls. She's supposed to be sneak attackable so it's good.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom