Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights (NWN & NWN2) Modules Thread

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
My humble Illusionist Melee Wizard in Swordflight has been promoted to Grease Wizard. While other players content themselves with understanding core mechanics or the art of the blade, I chose to master the art of the slip and slide.

There's a part in one of the World of Tiers SF novels by Philip Jose Farmer where the central characters are stuck in one of the pocket worlds that has absolutely frictionless surfaces. The characters have to navigate the world by very slowly crawling along on their asses. I picture playing a Grease Wizard being something like that for all the henchmen & monster encounters. Sounds like fun though.

volklore

Arcane
I installed NWN two days ago and started playing aielund saga on DnD hardcore difficulty. Reading about swordflight made me want to try it out but i hadn't played NWN for ages, nor had I played any of the fan-made modules so I decided to dive in with a very popular module (and one slightly easier I assume)
Made a Sorcerer with double spell focus illusion - which I realize was a mistake since shadow conjuration doesn't change the spell school in this ruleset, but I guess color spray got me through a lot of shit and Phantasmal killer and weird will come eventually.
Act1 has been very serviceable so far (made it up to the barbarian leader fight with seemingly all side content done). The light fantasy writing is fine most of the time (for some odd reason companion related dialogues are terrible, use a lot of modern spoken language, and have very little roleplaying options). Atmosphere is pretty good, and the main story has a very 'Iron shortage' Baldur's gate feel to it atm, which I am sure will reveal that grander things are at play.
Overall enjoying the experience.

Sacibengala

Prophet
The GOG downloader links for the diamond edition is offline, did you you guys knew that?
Got this message from gog support days after my original email:

"
Hello,

Neverwinter Nights Diamond is no longer available in store - this is why the GOG Downloader listing is not accessible. As far as I'm aware this will not be changed.

Here is a working GOG Downloader link for the English installer:

The Downloader remains functional, but is effectively discontinued, and we will not be making any major fixes or updates to it. We strongly advise using GOG Galaxy, which, to all intents and purposes, replaced the Downloader - our application which makes downloading and installing games as convenient as possible.
Besides being very user-convenient, and keeping your games up to date, it offers the fastest download speeds possible, pausing/resuming, and - most importantly - thorough protection against file corruption while downloading.

Best regards,
Irrehaare
GOG Support Team

"
So, if the game is no longer in the store, we get the middle finger? I paid for that shit. And one more thing, honest question here. Whats the difference between gog and steam now that they do not have the downloader to store backup drm free copies of the games? Because a lot of games on steam are drm free now, as you don't need the client after you installed the game to run it.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I installed NWN two days ago and started playing aielund saga on DnD hardcore difficulty. Reading about swordflight made me want to try it out but i hadn't played NWN for ages, nor had I played any of the fan-made modules so I decided to dive in with a very popular module (and one slightly easier I assume)
Made a Sorcerer with double spell focus illusion - which I realize was a mistake since shadow conjuration doesn't change the spell school in this ruleset, but I guess color spray got me through a lot of shit and Phantasmal killer and weird will come eventually.
Act1 has been very serviceable so far (made it up to the barbarian leader fight with seemingly all side content done). The light fantasy writing is fine most of the time (for some odd reason companion related dialogues are terrible, use a lot of modern spoken language, and have very little roleplaying options). Atmosphere is pretty good, and the main story has a very 'Iron shortage' Baldur's gate feel to it atm, which I am sure will reveal that grander things are at play.
Overall enjoying the experience.
I barely touched NWN1, and Swordflight is manageable so far. Some characters may hit a wall in Chapter 1, but part of the fun (for me) was just running various characters through the gauntlet. You will know very quickly if you have a suboptimal character. Even with a suboptimal character, there are consumables conveniently placed throughout the map. This is another reason I enjoy Swordflight so much, because the module gives you various tools to overcome an encounter (wands, scrolls, potions, etc.), you just have to explore and use them wisely. Once you have more money, you can easily stock your characters with consumables.

My amateur advice for Swordflight Chapter 1 is to invest at least a minimal amount into strength (carry loot) and constitution (better survive stealth attacks). Minimal point investment into strength and constitution made Chapter 1 relatively smooth for my pure Wizard.

Last edited:

Sacibengala

Prophet
Sacibengala I can still download it from their website, I have no idea what's going on with your copy.
Me neither, it is not only mine, a friend that has it on gog also alerted me about the problem, I tried and its like that. As I said, we are from Brazil, I don't know if that is related to the problem.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
On an unrelated note: what are some core building staples in 3rd ED/NwN that you like to uphold?

- the rule of four (crucial for BAB progression)
- Str-based favors a low magic setting, Dex-based is better in high magic, lvl 20+ worlds
- Choose smite-proof alignment if you can
- Uncanny dodge is a must for melee fighters (for flat-footed)
- Best buffs: Imp. Invisibility / Stoneskin / Keen
- Low saving throws are VERY bad!! Generally keep an eye on your saves/AC/AB (if a fighting class)
- When multiclassing start with the class that has the most skill points (usually Rogue or Bard)

volklore

Arcane
Ho my I forgot how :argh::argh: inducing NWN1 could be. I am having a lot of trouble getting my rogue party members or pixie familiar to actually disable traps. I am thinking of re-rolling and taking spaced-out rogue levels to get the whole thief skillset just for QoL. Traps and no party controls make for a load of hurt ;(

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Ho my I forgot how :argh::argh: inducing NWN1 could be. I am having a lot of trouble getting my rogue party members or pixie familiar to actually disable traps. I am thinking of re-rolling and taking spaced-out rogue levels to get the whole thief skillset just for QoL. Traps and no party controls make for a load of hurt ;(
Roll barbarian and ignore all traps.

Sabotin

Scholar
You can use the verbal commands from the radial menu to make it more snappy. Avoid standing in front of chests or otherwise block your party members, that can cause issues/delasy, too. The handiest solution would actually be the lvl3(?) spell Find Traps, which instantly finds AND DISABLES all traps in a large AoE. And I'm not sure about this, but posessing the familiar should work too, right? Or else I think TonyK and CPP do something with it if you wanna mod.

rogueknight333

Arbiter
On an unrelated note: what are some core building staples in 3rd ED/NwN that you like to uphold?

- Max out the Tumble skill for a big AC boost, ideally by multi-classing to a class that has it as a class skill (assuming your primary class does not), but as a cross-class skill if necessary.
- On a related note, Skill dump. Unlike some other implementations of 3E, NWN allows you to save any and all skill points gained on level up to spend on a later level-up, so multi-class characters should save up skill points until taking a level in a class that has crucial skills as class skills. E.g., a Rogue/Fighter/Wizard could take no new skills on Fighter levels, Concentration and Spellcraft only on Wizard levels, and spend all the additional saved skill points when taking Rogue levels.
- Crit bonuses are usually by far the most important weapon stat
- Multi-classes are almost always better than single classes, but dedicated casters usually need a high number of levels in their core class to be effective, so keep multi-classing to a minimum with them (generally only a rare off-level for skill-dumping purposes or a special feat).

- Uncanny dodge is a must for melee fighters (for flat-footed)

Always a good feat to have, but I would not say it is essential unless a significant chunk of your AC comes from Dexterity. Evasion is also a nice feat to pick up if you can, protecting against spells, traps and possibly other effects.

- Low saving throws are VERY bad!! ....

This depends on the environment. In many high magic modules you can get items making you immune to just about anything you would save against, making boosts to saving throws redundant. Also, with Auto-fail on 1, boosts to saves will eventually reach a point of diminishing returns. Though obviously having good saves never hurts.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
My Grease Wizard is level 15 in Swordflight Chapter 2 (at Spider Swamp). Pure Wizard seems to be finally paying off with all the various spells I have at my disposal. I have melee buffs, shields, AoE spells, Isaac's greater missiles, and dispel/breach for almost every occasion. The power curve seems to be in my favor (famous last words?), although that may be because I am overleveled. I soaked all the side quests that I could before pursuing the main quests. Hence, I am crushing a lot of encounters, except . . .

Those Vampire Monks, holy shit. What an unexpected and scary combination. Level drain, stuns, knockdown, high damage, high AC, the list goes on. They wiped the floor with me several times before I learned that my henchman has an instant kill sword against undead. Still....

:despair:

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Swordflight Chapter 3 starts with a real kick (in a good way).

I was intent on killing the Lich without resorting to the anti-Lich wand that dropped from the demon. Of course, I initially forgot I had negative energy shield memorized. Once I remembered, the fight became possible. Now, I just hope the wand comes into use later.

Just when I thought the Lich was bad, that second island with the Yuan-Ti and those damn pirates! The stealthed pirates were worse to deal with than the Yuan-Ti. Even with tenser’s transformation and improved invisibility, they hit like trucks. I had to use the Black Blade of Destruction to clear the the first room of the cave (spell felt like cheating) to avoid contact with the stealth’s pirates. Could be worse I guess, could be pirate monks... or vampire pirate monks.

Still, great start to the chapter. It blew my mind to have a Lich fight and a Yuanti fight in just the introduction.

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
I believe there is a profound philosophical theme to Swordflight Chapter 3 that is as thought-provoking as it is subtle. The true evil is not the genocidal Demons...not the decadent Liches .... or the rapacious Orks.....
Its the fucking nameless dual-wielding human rogue that stealth attacks your dick into oblivion.

rogueknight333

Arbiter
I believe there is a profound philosophical theme to Swordflight Chapter 3 that is as thought-provoking as it is subtle. The true evil is not the genocidal Demons...not the decadent Liches .... or the rapacious Orks.....
Its the fucking nameless dual-wielding human rogue that stealth attacks your dick into oblivion.

I was not expecting many people to figure out this subtle theme. On reflection, however, I must admit that delivering a devastating sneak attack to a sensitive area perhaps constitutes a message somewhat lacking in the intended subtlety.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Shadows of Undrentide :2/5: bordering on :1/5:

I gave this another chance on Lilura's recommendation and boy was she way off. The first chapter is a bunch of snoozefest combat and timepadding walking with some admittedly-amusing sassy Gaider writing, scripting, and a few prebuff-and-beat-em bosses. The interlude is more of the same, though lacking the Gaider sass. Chapter three is annoying garbage. Didn't appreciate having to go around killing 10 snoozefest golems or the sudden extreme difficulty spike fighting hordes to get that library wind, or the annoying teleportation maze with respawning enemies you have to kill to proceed or the wait-for-doors-to-open maze or the I-hope-you-like-fighting-the-same-group-of-wisps-over-and-over-again final dungeon. Worse than Hordes. I am baffled by how she puts this ahead of

7. Storm of Zehir
8. Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor
9. Planescape: Torment
10. Baldur's Gate 2

Sure, RoMD was shovelware but putting this ahead of BG2 and PST is trolling and I'd say even SoZ has better content. SoZ's final dungeon > SoU's final dungeon certainly.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
I played SoU co-op and on the final battle I spent the entire time feared into a corner while my friends killed the boss.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I played SoU co-op and on the final battle I spent the entire time feared into a corner while my friends killed the boss.
Potions of clarity, a must-have for your inventory. Also potions of speed.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I like Roguey 's posts. I don't always agree with him, but I respect him.

I completed Chapters 1-4 of Swordflight a month ago. Amazing experience that I wasn't able to commentate on entirely.

swordflight.jpg

If my top 10 D&D campaigns included mods, Swordflight would be no.1 overall.

Martyr

Arcane
I'm currently playing Darkness over Daggerford and one thing that really bothers me is the writing. is that just because I have the german version of NWN installed or is there always this horrible mixture of english and german in DoD???
"good Tag to you, my Frau."
"sie shakes sie fist."
"... toAbend ..."
nigga wut? I really hope nobody talks like that in real life. I always find it highly triggering to see german words mixed into english sentences and DoD takes the cake in that regard.
also the "I blame it on society." line of some orc when confronted with agression wasn't any better than Beamdog's gamergate and feminist references in Siege of Dragonspear.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom