Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Neverwinters Nights vs Dragon Age

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Which is worse and why ?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
NWN's OC is unplayable, Origins's is all right.

Obviously NWN has the more user friendly toolset.

Delterius

Arcane
The Neverwinter Nights engine allowed for use friendly module creation but it was still extremely awkward. Even by RTwP standards. Origins' was at least functional, in comparison.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nwn has more, some of it better. Therefore nwn wins. Also barbarians.

hell bovine

Arcane
NWN's OC is unplayable, Origins's is all right.

Obviously NWN has the more user friendly toolset.
Agreed on the terrible NWN OC, but HotU was a nice dungeon romp. I had fun playing it, same as with DAO, actually, but neither game has any replay value whatsoever.
(some of the NWN mods, on the other hand, were far superior to both games)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I don't know how anyone can stand to play a real time with pause single-character D&D game where the content is balanced so that anyone from a fighter to a bard can complete it, yet they do. :M

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
NWN is less worse because of the toolset which was pretty cool for its time and still has a (small) community after 15 years.

All DA:O gave us was DAII.

DA:O had obnoxious writing.
NWN OC had obnoxious filler.
Pick your poison.

To me, filler is the far lesser of two evils. Wouldn't consider replaying NWN OC, of course, but at least it wouldn't make me want to murder someone.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Because it is not Sawyer's approach to "balance", that's why. :)

Their approach is inferior to Josh's. NWN is a game where you can rest after every fight, at the expense of having to look at a timer, and if you do die, you can respawn at the expense of experience and gold.

hell bovine

Arcane
Because it is not Sawyer's approach to "balance", that's why. :)

Their approach is inferior to Josh's. NWN is a game where you can rest after every fight, at the expense of having to look at a timer, and if you do die, you can respawn at the expense of experience and gold.
Because resting restrictions (not that I recall any in PoE, you just had to carry those wooden sticks) and lack of respawns doesn't help if the battles themselves are bland. (and repetitive) It's like trying to make rules for boredom.
edit: also, HotU didn't suffer from the idiocy that was the "engagement" system

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Because resting restrictions (not that I recall any in PoE, you just had to carry those wooden sticks) and lack of respawns doesn't help if the battles themselves are bland. (and repetitive)

And they are, considering they're balanced so that poorly made bards can succeed. From what little I played of it, NWN felt like Diablo but worse.

kris

Arcane
As a game i quite enjoyed one playthrough of DAO and also did all the origins. NWM i am instead quite unsure how I could make it through, but it was at a time when I breezed through RPGs much easier than now. Had i picked it up with current mindset then I would have quickly dropped it. The basic mechanics was a big drop in quality.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
The best NWN modules shit on almost everything in the computer RPG genre...from a great height...or at least from the second to lowest branch on the great Tree of cRPGs. At least that's been my experience.

hell bovine

Arcane
Because resting restrictions (not that I recall any in PoE, you just had to carry those wooden sticks) and lack of respawns doesn't help if the battles themselves are bland. (and repetitive)

And they are, considering they're balanced so that poorly made bards can succeed. From what little I played of it, NWN felt like Diablo but worse.
As opposed to the bards chanters in PoE? Where my chanter - who couldn't hit the broad side of the barn - would hold up entire groups of enemies thanks to the engage system, because the enemies refused to disengage a character that couldn't even attack them. :lol: PoE has a combat system where a poorly made bard chanter makes for the best tank in melee, and therefore it is better balanced?

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas

As opposed to the bards chanters in PoE? Where my chanter - who couldn't hit the broad side of the barn - would hold up entire groups of enemies thanks to the engage system, because the enemies refused to disengage a character that couldn't even attack them. :lol: PoE has a combat system where a poorly made bard chanter makes for the best tank in melee, and therefore it is better balanced?

Yeah but NWN was using an established system designed for a party of adventurers where bards are support characters. PoE did what thy did but didn't claim Chanters were D&D bards.

hell bovine

Arcane
Yeah but NWN was using an established system designed for a party of adventurers where bards are support characters. PoE did what thy did but didn't claim Chanters were D&D bards.
And PoE is using a party system, where chanters are described as "storytellers and repositories of ancient lore from myriad cultural traditions. While they have some minor talent in traditional arts of combat and soul-based magic, their true power lies in their chants and invocations." Frankly, nothing in this description suggested to me that my chanter would end up a singing door stopper, because she would be better at holding up enemy mobs than a fighter.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Where my chanter - who couldn't hit the broad side of the barn - would hold up entire groups of enemies thanks to the engage system, because the enemies refused to disengage a character that couldn't even attack them.

So you're saying you wished Pillars had a threat system like World of Warcraft and Dragon Age. :M

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Personally I couldn't get past the first 5-6 hours of the NWN campaign. And back then I got the game as the "new BG" and was extremely dissapointed.
DA:O I liked quite a bit. Was not great but I felt that it could have been the start of a good series if they improved on some things.. But we all know how that turned out :negative:

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Hmm, I could play through the main campaign of NWN1 more than once and some of the self-made modules were fun. But even without them, they got SoU and HotU and more, so there was enough content to keep you busy for years.

DA:O is not a bad game ... but it bores me to death. I could play through it once, but every time I restart it, I am bored from the start. I want to skip the dialogues or do more than watch, when the fights start. And I will never forgive BW that after Ostagar the story just stopped until the last battle. They developed the game for five years and put all this work into their world and than they couldn't even tell an good story. It could have been so easy. Just send Headhunters (more than Zevran) after me, it worked in Kotor 1.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom