Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Neverwinters Nights vs Dragon Age

Lambach

Arcane
I will never, ever understand the absolute genius that came up with NWN. A non-party based (1 follower max) game with D&D 3.0 ruleset.

Lemme get that out there one more time, to make sure it sticks. A non-party based game. With D&D 3.0 ruleset.

Dragon Age looks like a masterpiece in comparison, and it's only a 7/10 game on its own merits.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Only the OC is like that, the expansions have a party. And there are a million custom campaigns and modules etc. Also having one character isn't bad when that one character has so much depth and can be multi classed. Playing a solo Sorc or something is really fun. NWN is a million times better than Dragon Age.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I will never, ever understand the absolute genius that came up with NWN. A non-party based (1 follower max) game with D&D 3.0 ruleset.

Lemme get that out there one more time, to make sure it sticks. A non-party based game. With D&D 3.0 ruleset.

Dragon Age looks like a masterpiece in comparison, and it's only a 7/10 game on its own merits.

Not a problem in multiplayer though. You can have large, 20+ people parties. Or even 32/64.

Padzi

Arbiter
Icewind Dale was my first cRPG, Neverwinted Nights came soon after it and I still have nostalgia for it. But when I remember how many enemies there was to kill I just shiver with dread. But having that in mind I still prefer NWN over DAO.

HeroOfNeverwinter

Barely Literate
Neverwinter Nights was the first CRPG I ever got into. Over the course of my life, I've played through that goddamn OC about a dozen times, and sloughed through hundreds of abhorrent half-finished community modules, before the thought dawned on me today to just start browsing other vintage CRPGs.

HeroOfNeverwinter

Barely Literate
\Over the course of my life, I've played through that goddamn OC about a dozen times
You wasted so much time, mate.
Fucking tell me about it. Ulillillia has Bubsy 3D, I've got NWN I guess.

Many of the faults I think were in part due to budgetary/time constraints, I've heard stories about what got retooled. For example, I've heard that the Academy replaced much more interesting class specific backstory tutorials, and Chapter 2 was meant to be set entirely in Luskan with a different city tileset, which I think could've been fucking awesome. Anything had more potential than the endless cave of orcs and goblins.

Interestingly, I could never get very far into NWN2. There are elements of NWN1 I obviously find endearing and I will defend, such as the fairly rich henchmen. Even though I've read them before, there's something fun about resting and hearing Tomi tell you about his adventures as a reward for progression through even the most annoying dungeon. The plot and especially the party members in NWN2 were so cliched, boring, and obnoxious I couldn't even bother caring.

I'm more butthurt about the time I wasted delving into overambitious modules and getting blue balls when I realized they were never completed or hastily finished with an unimpressive ending.

Padzi

Arbiter
Neverwinter Nights was the first CRPG I ever got into. Over the course of my life, I've played through that goddamn OC about a dozen times, and sloughed through hundreds of abhorrent half-finished community modules, before the thought dawned on me today to just start browsing other vintage CRPGs.

Man, it seems you don't like change.
When you get attached to something you just put blinders on like a horse.
If you like shitty RPGs so much go play Dragon Age Origins at least seven times. It should be right up your alley.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
NWN campaign is pretty bad... But the expansions are great. Or one of them was, one of them was ok.

Tom Selleck

Arcane
NWN OC was the first D&D anything I ever played and as such I have a terrible fondness for it, despite knowing it's so bad. Like if your first time fingering some girl was that fat chick with braces who ended up having a miscarriage at the prom and leaving the fetus in the toilet of the girl's bathroom. You still remember getting your fingers wet.

Also I jerked off to Aribeth a lot.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I had some fun with it, mostly just the last few hours. Being a high level spell caster in D&D is fun... Fireball luls, ice storm, cone of cold, mordenkanen's sword, and I think I could cast that as well as summoning huge elementals as pets too. I whooped the place.

fobia

NWN was my first CRPG and also first experience with D&D. I am very forgiving in regards to it's flaws. Like the very bad OC story and the "companions". I never used one of them.

DA:O did nothing for me. I was super hyped for the game, bought it, played 20h, never touched it again. I don't really know why, it just didn't fit with my expectations I guess.

Max Damage

Savant
Used to play with toolset and HotU/user modules a lot. DA:O played like pseudo Witcher game with MMORPG combat that tries too hard to be grimdark and self-aware. DA:O had better story/campaign overall, but I like dungeon crawler Acts 1/2 of HotU more. Mods and user modules easily score points to NWN for me, otherwise it's a draw between two equal "meh". Haven't played Awakening and sequels.

purpleblob

Savant
It really depends on "which" NWN you are comparing with DA:O.

NWN:OC <<< DA:O
NWN: SoU < DA:O
NWN: HotU >> DA:O
NWN: player made modules > DA:O

I personally prefer NWN cause it allowed people to come up with various modules I've enjoyed immensely. For that, I can forgive bland OC and first expansion.

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
So I just started playing the first NWN only played the 2nd. So far so good I guess I don't know much about the game. I do like the 3.5 rules which I'm still learning. I like how you have more freedom to learn skills outside your class norm without having to multi class (feats). Now I know why they call it Neverwinter Nights because it's always night bwhwhahahha

I'm playing a paladin any tips are welcome.

Jokzore

Arbiter
I wonder why no one brought up DA:O-Awakening , its miles better than anything in the original campaign even if it did spawn that obnoxious git Anders.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom