Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Neverwinters Nights vs Dragon Age

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I've always disliked how much better humans are for character building (mostly because I like playing other races too!), except in very rare cases (like being feat starved but need longbow proficiency, needing a certain race for a certain prestige class, etc.). They get a free feat (which is huge), they don't incur an xp penalty pretty much ever and they get a skill for free.

Sykar

Arcane
The best NWN modules shit on almost everything in the computer RPG genre...from a great height...or at least from the second to lowest branch on the great Tree of cRPGs. At least that's been my experience.

Would you name some? I have never delved into them, got disgusted with the OC after a few hours and never touched NWN again.

Lambach

Arcane
The best NWN modules shit on almost everything in the computer RPG genre...from a great height...or at least from the second to lowest branch on the great Tree of cRPGs. At least that's been my experience.

Would you name some? I have never delved into them, got disgusted with the OC after a few hours and never touched NWN again.

Some people claim A Dance With Rogues could be a standalone game and be one of the best RPGs ever released. I never really got into it myself.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
I wonder why no one brought up DA:O-Awakening , its miles better than anything in the original campaign even if it did spawn that obnoxious git Anders.
Am I falling for a bait? Awakening is an abomnation. You do nothing except fighting all the time, in game that was criticized for its combat gameplay. Without playing it you aren't really losing anything, next games didn't even give a shit about that expansion.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
" in game that was criticized for its combat gameplay."

Criticized by who? Most people loved its combat. Codex even gave it 'Game of the Year' and since the game is largely combat I'm sure it played a role. It also gets a lot of votes in the yearly nonsense polls here. So... when you say it 'got criticzed for its combat' you mean by you? Typical Codexer. Thinking its opinion is the same as everyone else's. You do realize the Codex being referred to as the 'Hivemind' is a joke not reality right? LMAO

Not that I think DA has 'best combat ever'.

Then again, my rant here could be meaningless since technically, you could have said 'x combat ability is over powered and underpowered but otherwise combat is awesome' and that still fits the 'it was criticized for tis combat gameplay' spam you pushed. LMAO

Jokzore

Arbiter
next games didn't even give a shit about that expansion

I couldn't get past the tutorial in DA:I so correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the main antagonist the same shriveled up geezer in both of these ?

Jarmaro

Liturgist
" in game that was criticized for its combat gameplay."

Criticized by who? Most people loved its combat. Codex even gave it 'Game of the Year' and since the game is largely combat I'm sure it played a role. It also gets a lot of votes in the yearly nonsense polls here. So... when you say it 'got criticzed for its combat' you mean by you? Typical Codexer. Thinking its opinion is the same as everyone else's. You do realize the Codex being referred to as the 'Hivemind' is a joke not reality right? LMAO

Not that I think DA has 'best combat ever'.

Then again, my rant here could be meaningless since technically, you could have said 'x combat ability is over powered and underpowered but otherwise combat is awesome' and that still fits the 'it was criticized for tis combat gameplay' spam you pushed. LMAO
Calm your tits, I enjoyed DA:O combat. But then I read across internet that people considered it the worst part of the game. And in some reviews, as I remember. But that wasn't my experience.

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
next games didn't even give a shit about that expansion

I couldn't get past the tutorial in DA:I so correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the main antagonist the same shriveled up geezer in both of these ?

Their different but they are both forms of dark spawn. In awakening it's the Architect and Corypheus in DAI. I think corypheus was one of the first human mages to step foot in the golden city then turned into dark spawn for doing so

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
NWN uses 3.0 rules. NWN 2 is 3.5.

What are the major differences?
Lots. Cannot be bothered to list them.

But some important mechanical changes between NWN and NWN2, not necessarily connected with the edition switch:
- Prestige Classes can now get regular spell progression as per the rules, rather then these limited silly spell-like abilities. Makes classes like Eldritch Knight, Arcane Trickster, Pale Master, Stormlord, Sacred Fist, ASoC, RWoT, Warpriest, Doomguide, Harper Agent actually make sense and potent. Most didn't exist in NWN, some were badly crippled, like the PM.
- Lots more Prestige Classes in general (24, was 12)
- Level cap scaled back to 30 (from 40)
- For some reason Obsidian did away with rulebook Epic level progression (after level 20). According to rules, the Epic Attack Bonus should rise by +1 every 2 levels, regardless of class. This prevents the AB gap rising further between the high-BAB classes (Fighters and such), mid-BAB classes (clerics, monks, rogues and such) and low-BAB classes (wizzies and such). The number of attacks per round would be locked at level 20, depending on BAB at that level. That's how it worked in NWN1. But in NWN2 Obsidian decided to continue the BAB progression and increase the number of attacks per round all the way up to level 30.
- Subraces
- Touch attacks can now crit/add sneak attack boni

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
If NWN2 wasn't so awful to play it might have been good gameplay-wise, but as it stands now it resists any attempt at playing it.

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter

But some important mechanical changes between NWN and NWN2, not necessarily connected with the edition switch:
- Prestige Classes can now get regular spell progression as per the rules, rather then these limited silly spell-like abilities. Makes classes like Eldritch Knight, Arcane Trickster, Pale Master, Stormlord, Sacred Fist, ASoC, RWoT, Warpriest, Doomguide, Harper Agent actually make sense and potent. Most didn't exist in NWN, some were badly crippled, like the PM.
- For some reason Obsidian did away with rulebook Epic level progression (after level 20). According to rules, the Epic Attack Bonus should rise by +1 every 2 levels, regardless of class. This prevents the AB gap rising further between the high-BAB classes (Fighters and such), mid-BAB classes (clerics, monks, rogues and such) and low-BAB classes (wizzies and such). The number of attacks per round would be locked at level 20, depending on BAB at that level. That's how it worked in NWN1. But in NWN2 Obsidian decided to continue the BAB progression and increase the number of attacks per round all the way up to level 30.
- Subraces

Thanks that what I was looking for I'm learning the 3.0 rules now and Bab progression was kind of confusing.

Sykar

Arcane

- Subraces

And that was retarded, because in conjunction with the elemental damage enchantments on weapons any fighter could vastly outdamage any non-melee class. Shit was utterly absurd. Also devalued AC even more

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
What I still find confusing without constantly looking up wiki pages due to not having a perfect memory man memory is trying to remember which bonuses stack and which don't. On top of this, the subdivision of AC into so many compartments is quite the autism generator.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
And that was retarded, because in conjunction with the elemental damage enchantments on weapons any fighter could vastly outdamage any non-melee class. Shit was utterly absurd. Also devalued AC even more

Oh, I agree. Those Epic level DnD rules exist for a reason.

Although they did lead to a different derp design: A level 18 Mage / 12 Fighter will have AB of 16 (+ modifiers) and 2 Attacks per round, while a level 12 Fighter / 18 Mage will have AB of 21 (+ modifiers) and 4 Attacks per round.

What I still find confusing without constantly looking up wiki pages due to not having a perfect memory man memory is trying to remember which bonuses stack and which don't. On top of this, the subdivision of AC into so many compartments is quite the autism generator.

Still more clear then PoE stacking rules. In general nothing stacks, except for the DIFFERENT types of AC (Natural, Deflection, Armor, Shield, Dodge, maybe Divine, if available). With the exception of Dodge bonuses which are stackable.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Still more clear then PoE stacking rules. In general nothing stacks, except for the DIFFERENT types of AC (Natural, Deflection, Armor, Shield, Dodge, maybe Divine, if available). With the exception of Dodge bonuses which are stackable.

Shame we're not comparing NWN to PoE. Also, saving throws stack, but spell resistance doesn't.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom