Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Awesome Monumental Bloodbowl League Association

Mantiis

Cipher
Leader board:

tableround3.jpg

[pre]Round 3:

MessiahMan (Orc) 0-2 (Hum) Perfect Fool
Grunker .. (Ska) 0-0 (DaE) OSK --- Crashed game
Erk ...... (Cha) 0-0 (WoE) FSM ---- Game never played

Bye: ManT

Round 2:

MessiahMan (Orc) 0-1 (DaE) OSK
Erk ...... (Cha) 1-3 (Hum) Perfect Fool
ManT ..... (Liz) 3-2 (WoE) FSM

Bye: Grunker (Ska)

Round 1:

Perfect Fool (Hum) 3 - 2 (WoE) FSM
Mantiis .... (Liz) 3 - 2 (Ska) Grunker
OSK ........ (DaE) 1 - 1 (Cha) Erk

Bye: MessiahMan (Orc)[/pre]

The above is ordered by the below:

1. Points
2. Scores For (F)
3. Scores agaisnt (A), where the lower the better
4. First game played - if you played your game before another coach's game (ie you organised to play earlier) you will be placed higher.

[pre]Mantiis ................. +10 GMT
Grunker ................. +1 GMT
Erk ..................... +1 GMT
Perfect Fool ............ +0 GMT
MessiahMan .............. -5 GMT
Flying Spaghetti Monster -5 GMT
OldSkoolKamikaze ........ -6 GMT[/pre]

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm not bad. My dice are bad.

I vote...
  • Star players on
  • 4 minute turns
  • Steam for communication

I'll probably play Dark Elves... unless everyone else plays dark elves. In which case I'll play orcs. Unless everyone else plays orcs... in which case I'll go back to humans.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I'm indifferent as to Star Players and Steam (never used it for messaging, but I'll learn, I'm sure).

- I vote for 3 min. rounds, however.

I'll play Lizzies or Skaven. Haven't figured out yet.

Perfect Fool

Scholar
I'm in again... shame we didn't get to finish the last league, I was doing reasonably well for once!

I've been playing lots of 40sec/turn matches online, they're fun but you have to think a lot when your opponent is taking their turn and prioritize your moves during your own. Tends to be optimal for passing teams, as blocking sides get less time to beat your team up!

My vote is for 3min turns. Playing shorter matches is tough for people who haven't done it before, but I really think it makes you improve your game once you get to grips with it. 2 min/turn also seems to be the par game length for public matches, anything longer than that is extremely rare.

Starting new teams again, I take it? If so, I'll probably go for either Humans or Wood Elves this time, I'm better with smashy teams but feel like trying out a more passing game for once.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
I just finished my exam-paper and called my friend. I've mailed him a link to this thread. He'll probably register and launch some questions at you guys if he's interested!

Perfect Fool

Scholar
Mantiis said:
Dark elves are up and running:

http://www.cyanide-studio.com/forumBB/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=10501

The look cool but I don't see the attraction - squishy and they lack the mobility of wood elves. No big guy and their witch elves don't have anything on wardancers. Meh, ill stick to my lizzies I think or go wood elves.

You can start with 4 blitzers, 7 linemen and 2 rerolls in your starting team, all of your players are then AV 8 and so are pretty much equivalent to a beginning human team. They play as a decent running team, AG 4 on everyone is nice and you can pull off a short passing game with this starting 11 if you need to at a push.

The lack of a big guy does hurt them, assassins with multiple block (on a double) are a pretty good substitute as they have stab, at least on the offence. Witch Elves are pretty crap, I'd only pick them up if I already had all the other positions pretty much covered, they work better as catchers than anything else which are generally more of a luxury than a necessity for most teams.

Dark Elves have to pretty much defend like Wood Elves, dodge out of fights they aren't at a serious advantage in and try to slow a physical team down rather than knock them over. They do have above average mobility (up to 8 players with MV 7 without rolling 10s on level up) so they're pretty good at picking fights that they can win and switching play when they have to.

Apart from that, you're right, Wood Elves are a more effective team, with more mobility (all MV7+), passing and dodge (Wardancers and Catchers) for your money. On the other hand, Dark Elves are much cooler and they have much better cheerleaders :D

Elwro

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Some of the Dark Elves also have Shadowing from the start, which is an extremely valuable skill for blockers.

MessiahMan

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I've always wanted to get in on these bloodbowl leagues. I completely blow at the game (And I haven't played it in a bit, so I'm rusty to boot), therefore I decree myself easy pickings to all involved. I doubt any of you'd mind, though. I'll play the orcs, if you'll have me.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
MessiahMan said:
I've always wanted to get in on these bloodbowl leagues. I completely blow at the game (And I haven't played it in a bit, so I'm rusty to boot), therefore I decree myself easy pickings to all involved. I doubt any of you'd mind, though. I'll play the orcs, if you'll have me.

I've played one and a half single-player campaign and no multiplayer at all. I started playing the game 20 days ago.

I dare say I can probably rival you in suckiness ;)

Mantiis

Cipher
MessiahMan added. Welcome to the slaughter. :twisted:

Ok so far we have 5 and with Grunker's friend that'll make 6. Any other lurker's that are interested: Now is the time to delurk and join the carnage, we have fresh meat ready and willing to be slaughtered and a whole host of bugs removed from the game in the last patch.

Post in the thread or PM me! RAWR!

Gold

Augur
Patron
Dead State Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Shit, if you guys need a 6th. I need to patch and update my version, I haven't played for months either.

Probably play Dwarfs.

edit- And I probably will be competing for last place.

MessiahMan

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2012 Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Mer, I need a few days to work out the kinks of my online account. I forgot my coach password, and I didn't get the email after I reset it telling me what my new password was. I'm over on the bloodbowl forums right now getting in contact with people to get the game working again, though. If you could let me have a couple of days (we all know how slow tech support moves, now) my game should be online-capable once again.

Of course, it would be online capable right now if the scrooges let you have more than one teensy coach account. Serves me right for buying a game with securom, I guess.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Perfect Fool said:
The lack of a big guy does hurt them, assassins with multiple block (on a double) are a pretty good substitute as they have stab, at least on the offence. Witch Elves are pretty crap, I'd only pick them up if I already had all the other positions pretty much covered, they work better as catchers than anything else which are generally more of a luxury than a necessity for most teams.

wut?

Witch elves make excellent ball hounds. With dodge, MV 7, AGI 4, and jump up, they can easily move around the field to blitz. With frenzy, toss on wrestle, strip ball and tackle. If the ball carrier is within range and he's not behind a solid cage, he's not going to be holding the ball for much longer. They really just need block or wrestle ASAP to become effective. Since they make pretty good receivers, it's not difficult to level them up. Newbs just need to be careful with frenzy.

I tend to use witch elves as safeties, which helps keep them from getting hit as often. I use them to take out ball carriers making a break for it, hitting ball carriers after breaking open a cage and picking off players that get a little too close to the sidelines. In essence, keep them out of the thick of things and use them to make surgical strikes.

I'd argue that assassins are crap. Without dodge, they are even more frail than Witch Elves. Stab requires you to be next to a player to work, which leaves you open to getting hit. Getting hit will happen often, since the opposing coach is going to target him every chance he can get. Stab is also pretty much crap against higher AV teams: 41.7% chance success against AV 7, 27.7% against AV 8, 16.7% against AV 9 and 8.3% against AV 10. They also tend to be the most difficult player on the team to level up (Unless Cyanide didn't fix the Stab giving SPPs bug).

Assassins are completely useless against high AV teams like Orcs and Dwarves. I've really only found them to be somewhat useful at harassing enemy catchers since they tend to have lower AV and aren't going to be hitting back often. Unfortunately, catchers are usually much faster than assassins, reducing the likelihood of shadowing working.

Perfect Fool said:
Apart from that, you're right, Wood Elves are a more effective team, with more mobility (all MV7+), passing and dodge (Wardancers and Catchers) for your money.

Yeah, but aren't Wood Elves *the* most effective team? :lol:

Elwro said:
Some of the Dark Elves also have Shadowing from the start, which is an extremely valuable skill for blockers.

Only assassins.

Perfect Fool

Scholar
OldSkoolKamikaze said:
Perfect Fool said:

wut?

Witch elves make excellent ball hounds. With dodge, MV 7, AGI 4, and jump up, they can easily move around the field to blitz. With frenzy, toss on wrestle, strip ball and tackle. If the ball carrier is within range and he's not behind a solid cage, he's not going to be holding the ball for much longer. They really just need block or wrestle ASAP to become effective. Since they make pretty good receivers, it's not difficult to level them up. Newbs just need to be careful with frenzy.

I tend to use witch elves as safeties, which helps keep them from getting hit as often. I use them to take out ball carriers making a break for it, hitting ball carriers after breaking open a cage and picking off players that get a little too close to the sidelines. In essence, keep them out of the thick of things and use them to make surgical strikes.

Witch Elves also cost 110k each, which is rather expensive for a starting player. They're the last players I'd grab (nos 15 & 16 when the rest of the roster's full). They're not completely useless, but in no way are they worth only 10k less than a wardancer, nor are they worth 10k more than a DE blitzer :D

They do make good catchers, but blitzers are almost as good, and after their first level up will probably also grab dodge, making them damn hard to put down. The other sensible option is Tackle, but Assassins can stab any catchers while they wait to level up, so tackle isn't as nessessary as it is for humans.

The first players you want to level in any elf team are the linemen, though. Having Witch Elves around also means that they'll probably be grabbing TD SPPs that'd be better used on the line elves, who invariably become the backbone of the team after a few stat ups.

OldSkoolKamikaze said:
Perfect Fool said:
Apart from that, you're right, Wood Elves are a more effective team, with more mobility (all MV7+), passing and dodge (Wardancers and Catchers) for your money.

Yeah, but aren't Wood Elves *the* most effective team? :lol:

Yeah, bloody tree shaggers. Most frustrating bastards to play against when your opponent knows what he's up to with them, the game invaribaly ends up like trying to beat the crap out of smoke unless you have a lot of tackle skilled players. High leveled WE teams are even worse, everyone on their side is a blodger, the treeman ends up having Guard and Multiple Block and the Wardancers become unholy, ball stealing terrors.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Perfect Fool said:
Witch Elves also cost 110k each, which is rather expensive for a starting player. They're the last players I'd grab (nos 15 & 16 when the rest of the roster's full). They're not completely useless, but in no way are they worth only 10k less than a wardancer, nor are they worth 10k more than a DE blitzer :D

Unless you're comparing the races as a whole, you can't compare witch elves and wardancers. That's like saying black orc blockers aren't worth it since they're inferior to chaos warriors.

A witch elf compared to a blitzer: 10k more expensive, -1 AV, dodge in place of block and you also get jump up and frenzy. That's not a bad deal. An assassin is only 10k cheaper than a blitzer, and it's really just a one trick pony.

I probably wouldn't start with a witch elf, but it would be the first positional I'd purchase. You seem to underestimate how you can decrease the width of the pitch with frenzy. Players a square away from the boundary are in danger of a MA 7 player with jump up and dodge seeking you out and knocking you off of the pitch. Great mobility and frenzy make witch elves a force to be reckoned with.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Sorry about the late response guys! Been at work 24-7 all weekend, and I'm not even kidding.

And that's 6 - Grunker is your friend ever going to show?

I'll call him tomorrow morning, but let's just go ahead with this now that we're full up.

Not sure if it is a good idea or not.

Definetely a good idea. I usually use Facebook groups for such organising, and it works incredible well. My guess is it's the same with steam.

My steam-id is, surprise surprise, Grunker. So you can go ahead and add me ;)

Mantiis

Cipher
Sounds like OSK and Perfect Fool need a game to settle their differences.

Ok what I need everyone to do is go into their game and see what options they want turned on in the league. At the moment I am going with this:

Classic Rules
3 min rounds
Star Players: ON
Everyone plays each other twice.
League leader wins the championship.

And that's it so far. I chose 3 minutes because the thread seemed to suggest less than 4 was preferable but I am willing to move on that if people whine. Playing each other twice allows teams that start with no skills a chance to shine later in the league.

I am also open to a play off for the top two teams to decide the league champ but I would prefer the league leader to be the champ.

ALSO WE ARE STILL ACCEPTING PEOPLE SO IF YOU ARE INTERESTED LET US KNOW!

Marsal

Arcane
4 man playoffs, best of 3 semifinals, best of 5 finals. We want to see a true champ! :evil:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Marsal said:
4 man playoffs, best of 3 semifinals, best of 5 finals. We want to see a true champ! :evil:

I agree in principal, but it seems like they've been struggling to get through the league in past times. I say, to make sure we get through it, we keep things as they are now. We can add playoffs in a later league :)

Mantiis

Cipher
Grunker said:
Marsal said:

I agree in principal, but it seems like they've been struggling to get through the league in past times. I say, to make sure we get through it, we keep things as they are now. We can add playoffs in a later league :)

I am pretty sure he was joking.

OSK

Arcane
Patron
I still vote 4 minute turns!

I got my team created.
emotearz.jpg

Prepare to get beat down by the likes of BleedingWrists, My.Parents.Hate.Me, XxCryingInSilencexX and ~EMOtional_Boi~. Now when I whine like a little bitch after my entire line of scrimmage is casualtied on the first turn, I can just say I'm larping. :P

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom