Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: Dreadwolf - full reveal in Summer 2024, Solas fangirls rejoice

Rev

Arcane
I have no faith in BioWare after all the terrible games they made after 2010.
I'm only a bit curious to see if they will change the gameplay for this game, since Darrah asked on Twitter if players would've liked a sort of turn-based X-Com-style gameplay in the next DA.

Anyone else feel bad for Bioware? I mean Bethesda has always been crap but they have the whole "yeah our games suck in every possible way, but they are huge and open-world, and if you install 200+ mods..." thing going for them. Bioware, on the other hand, has always been about writing, except that now Witcher 3 has shown just how juvenile and pathetic their writing actually is (and has been for most of their history). It's like watching a train-wreck in slo-mo. If I was a Bioware employee, I'd be totally demoralized and start drinking after playing Witcher games.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
I have no faith in BioWare after all the terrible games they made after 2010.
I'm only a bit curious to see if they will change the gameplay for this game, since Darrah asked on Twitter if players would've liked a sort of turn-based X-Com-style gameplay in the next DA.
Well, I guess that'd make it sell better on tablets at least?
Which is where their modern games belong anyhow...

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Hype.

As long as he isn't there as a mere ornament and has actual freedom and control over the writing, he could turn Dragon Age into something much weirder and darker.
Great, now all they need is at least 1 each of a competent programmer, systems designer, quest designer, level designer, marketing person, community manager and absolutely everything else there is because the current crop are retards.

Ent

Savant
Dragon Age and Bioware found its niche and it does not include me. Looking forward to more hilarious animation fails though.

Rev

Arcane
Anyone else feel bad for Bioware? I mean Bethesda has always been crap but they have the whole "yeah our games suck in every possible way, but they are huge and open-world, and if you install 200+ mods..." thing going for them. Bioware, on the other hand, has always been about writing, except that now Witcher 3 has shown just how juvenile and pathetic their writing actually is (and has been for most of their history). It's like watching a train-wreck in slo-mo. If I was a Bioware employee, I'd be totally demoralized and start drinking after playing Witcher games.
Frankly, I don't feel bad at all, they've been making terrible games for years now, they deserve what happened with Andromeda and they deserved it years ago, like when they released that turd of Dragon Age II and ME3 with that awful ending (and the rest of the game wasn' good either).

hellbent

Augur
Not really a fan of Alexis Kennedy's work. If this is going to be anything like FL/SS, it's going to be a(nother) convoluted mess. Not that I had high expectations in the first place but still.

Kennedy comes across as smart and quick-witted, frequently self-deprecating ("I've described myself for a while as the guy you get when you can't get Chris Avellone," he quips at one point).

What the fuck.

WTF indeed. It's not like EA has empty pockets and can't afford to bring in the best writers / talent possible.

Maybe they consider Andromeda's sales figures disappointing and are limiting funding for DA:IV. Or they just don't give a fuck about the quality of the writing because they will just fire up the marketing hype train to generate sales. Probably the latter.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Anyone else feel bad for Bioware?

Nope.

And what does it take to end this nightmare? DA: 3D?

158px-Jaws_3d.jpg

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I wonder if they'll triple down on the 'open world' gameplay that they've essentially failed at doing twice in a row.

Dragon Age Inquisition was relatively well-received though.

I imagine they've learned their lesson about putting a massive amount of trash systemic content in their introductory area given how it soured things for completionists.

gestalt11

Arbiter

No. Bethesda has been making variations of the same game since the 1990s. Some people like the RPG/FPS hybrid some don't that is fine. But Bethesda was doing that when it was faaaaar from popular and is still doing it now in roughly a similar way. They created their own world right from the get go. All the backstory and various other stuff in internally consistent from Arena to Skyrim. And for the most part they are not overly preachy about anything and are one of the best providers of mod tools so that even if you don't appreciate the base game you still get plenty of value potentially.

Bioware made some good games often by riding on the coat-tails of other properties (like forgotten realms). Has only once had any real mod support (NWN). All their recent games have been shit. Their ability to write anything even resembling anything good has rotted from the brains due to the disease of SJW insanity.

Bethesda is like watching someone tinker with something you may or may not have much regard for. Bioware is like watching someone lobotimize themselves via trepanning and swearing its worked out great.

Hyperion

Arcane

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/dragon-age-inquisition

85 Metascore
5.9 User Score - PC
7.4 User Score - PS4
7.0 User Score - Xbone
5.2 User Score - PS3

PS3's low score is because of how horribly it ran on the system. Consoles had nothing else in terms of RPG's. No Witcher, no Bloodborne. It was released at a favorable time, and the user reviews were still shitty. Even Andromeda has a 73% on Metascore and that game is an abomination. Reviewers will never shitcan a Bioware game. After the RPG resurgence, especially on PS4, another game of the quality of Cisquisition will be torn to shreds by players.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I wonder if they'll triple down on the 'open world' gameplay that they've essentially failed at doing twice in a row.

I imagine they've learned their lesson about putting a massive amount of trash systemic content in their introductory area given how it soured things for completionists.

Expecting Bioware to learn anything is like expecting George Lucas to learn something.

Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal

the writing was the least of their problems especially in the last DA
Actually, shit writing was at least 50% responsible for DA3 being shit: when every single character is either obnoxious or boring, when dialogues are phrased in a way that meander around the topic without telling you anything valuable, when the main plot is yet another "ancient wizard wants to destroy the world with magical artefact" with not a shred of originality or fun - you're going to have a shit game even with a stellar gameplay.

And the gameplay was utter shit as well.

At least the writing in Dragon Age 2 was entertainingly bad - over-ambitious designs that comically fall apart due to the developers' complete ineptitude. In DA3 they didn't even try. Here's your standard fantasy/scifi goop, now eat it off the floor, rainbow-haired obese pervert virgins who constitute 90% of Biowhore's fandom.

DA4 will probably manage to be even more generic and retarded, somehow. Biowhore failed pretty spectacularly with Ass Defect: Androgyny, let's hope DA4: Qunari Are Sexy And Always Right will be the final nail in the coffin of Bioware's reanimated corpse.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
No. This won't end well. Whatever Laidlaw and co. are thinking, it's a bad idea. Bioware/EA doesn't have the focus, the talent or the integrity to make a good game.

Patrick Weeks is like the king of SJW retardness and Laidlaw is a hack - this will be bad.

:bunkertime:

edit: Bioware/EA is one entity, also companies are usually singular, e.g. Apple is working on new shiny things.

Last edited:

yes plz

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

It was well received in general but the empty open world aspect of it was a common complaint.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/dragon-age-inquisition

85 Metascore
5.9 User Score - PC
7.4 User Score - PS4
7.0 User Score - Xbone
5.2 User Score - PS3

PS3's low score is because of how horribly it ran on the system. Consoles had nothing else in terms of RPG's. No Witcher, no Bloodborne. It was released at a favorable time, and the user reviews were still shitty. Even Andromeda has a 73% on Metascore and that game is an abomination. Reviewers will never shitcan a Bioware game. After the RPG resurgence, especially on PS4, another game of the quality of Cisquisition will be torn to shreds by players.

Metacritic user scores don't mean much because they're bombed by people with a grudge. Yeah, DAI wasn't fantastic enough to get enough enthusiasm to cancel those out, hence relatively well-received. It wasn't an Andromeda-esque black mark.

Codexlurker

Savant

Neanderthal

Arcane
It'll be same shit they've made a dozen times afore, same characters, quests, loot, narrative, humour, an same dumbfucks'll buy the crap. They're never gonna get outta rut they're in cos theres not an original idea in their heads.

prodigydancer

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Still remember him complaining how hard DAO was, on "Normal" setting.
I don't know about Normal but on Nightmare DA2 was harder than DA:O. You could somewhat bail yourself out with DLC gear but without DLCs the difficutly was p. brutal till act 3.

jungl

Augur
There is no saving this series. Bioware died at origins. The second dragon age wasn't bad though, combat system and animations, it was technically more proficient in those areas that origins lacked. Inquisition was the worst. So much useless filler fluff crap that had me wanting to mow grass or watch paint dry. Only thing I enjoyed was fighting the dragons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom