Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: Dreadwolf - full reveal in Summer 2024, Solas fangirls rejoice

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The only thing I want is to become Qunari whatever and spread the Qun all over Thedas. Mages and Chantry can burn
They are the arabs/muslims.....
the Qun has all the answers
There is quite a few Quns in Germany,France,Sweden and UK. You should try live one of those Quns for some time,it will be very enlighten experience :D.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
The only thing I want is to become Qunari whatever and spread the Qun all over Thedas. Mages and Chantry can burn
There is quite a few Quns in Germany,France,Sweden and UK. You should try live one of those Quns for some time,it will be very enlighten experience :D.

Are you one of those people who, no matter the fantasy game, automatically assigns a real-world equivalent to any character or circumstance? You know, like those insufferable fucks who think female barbarians dressing like female barbarians is just misogyny & demeaning and all that other horseshit?

Who do Iron Golems represent in the real world for you? 19th Century Yorkshire industrialists?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Are you one of those people who, no matter the fantasy game, automatically assigns a real-world equivalent to any character or circumstance? You know, like those insufferable fucks who think female barbarians dressing like female barbarians is just misogyny & demeaning and all that other horseshit?

Who do Iron Golems represent in the real world for you? 19th Century Yorkshire industrialists?
Hahahaha no,i compare to the real world only games that are inspired by it. Like most D&D and Warhammer,same is Dragon age Origins. Ferlden represents medieval British islands even if it is not on islands,Orlais is a France combined with the Papal state in the form of the Chantry,Tevinter Imperium is the Byzantine empire fighting the invading savages that want to spread their fanatical believes and look like niggers. You don't have to be a genius to see the metaphor. It is really obvious if you have some basic knowledge of European history. Also there is no need for everything to be exactly like in the real world,that is why it is called inspired and not copied.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot

Hahahaha no,i compare to the real world only games that are inspired by it. Like most D&D and Warhammer,same is Dragon age Origins. Ferlden represents medieval British islands even if it is not on islands,Orlais is a France combined with the Papal state in the form of the Chantry,Tevinter Imperium is the Byzantine empire fighting the invading savages that want to spread their fanatical believes and look like niggers. You don't have to be a genius to see the metaphor. It is really obvious if you have some basic knowledge of European history. Also there is no need for everything to be exactly like in the real world,that is why it is called inspired and not copied.

Firstly, medieval England was France, if we're talking Byzantine era, both owned by the same people, both papist. While Wales joined England in that era it would still depend on which specific year you're talking about. Scotland was fiercely independent as was Ireland, but there were continual battles between all three and none were alike in a 'Ferelden' sense. The Byzantine empire was pretty much dead by this point in Western Europe and the Muslims were all driven out of Spain either before or after the era you specify & the Qunari have barely any resemblance to Moorish ways anyway & would be more relatable to Mongols than Moors if your time frame is that era. So, erm, I guess if your knowledge of that era of history is at it's most basic level then, sure, you're probably going to make all kinds of unintended utterly retarded assumptions...

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Firstly, medieval England was France, if we're talking Byzantine era, both owned by the same people, both papist. While Wales joined England in that era it would still depend on which specific year you're talking about. Scotland was fiercely independent as was Ireland, but there were continual battles between all three and none were alike in a 'Ferelden' sense. The Byzantine empire was pretty much dead by this point in Western Europe and the Muslims were all driven out of Spain either before or after the era you specify & the Qunari have barely any resemblance to Moorish ways anyway & would be more relatable to Mongols than Moors if your time frame is that era. So, erm, I guess if your knowledge of that era of history is at it's most basic level then, sure, you're probably going to make all kinds of unintended utterly retarded assumptions...
I would go with the beginning of 15th century or the end of 14th century if i had to pick a closest representation. Also as i said it is not a mirror of the real history just fantasy game inspired by it. Thus not every country is represented in the game. Also they don't have to be from the same time period in the game. I was more thinking of the seljuks and not the moors,seeing how they are in conflict with the Imperium.

And Quns do look a lot like Moors.
latest

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot

I would go with the beginning of 15th century or the end of 14th century if i had to pick a closest representation. Also as i said it is not a mirror of the real history just fantasy game inspired by it. Thus not every country is represented in the game. Also they don't have to be from the same time period in the game. I was more thinking of the seljuks and not the moors,seeing how they are in conflict with the Imperium.

latest

So you agree it's not a mirror of reality, and yet you impose your own mirror. It's fairly obvious the Chantry is based on Roman Catholicism & the cult of Joan of Arc type myths and legends, but aside from "foreign looking", what does the Qunari actually have that specifically relates them to "they're def the muslims" from actual development sources?

The Qunari (literally, "People of the Qun") is the umbrella term most commonly used to describe the white-haired metallic-skinned race of giants and their society that governs the islands of Par Vollen and Seheron, as well as the settlement of Kont-Aar in northern Rivain, and Qundalon in the Anderfels.

They came from:

from an unknown eastern land across the Northern Ocean. They once threatened to conquer all of the known world, but after several Exalted Marches during the Qunari Wars they have lost much of the conquered land. Since then, peace has been made since with every nation except the Tevinter Imperium; with whom they are still involved in a prolonged war for dominance of the north.

Sounds like random Mongols to me...

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

latest

So you agree it's not a mirror of reality, and yet you impose your own mirror. It's fairly obvious the Chantry is based on Roman Catholicism & the cult of Joan of Arc type myths and legends, but aside from "foreign looking", what does the Qunari actually have that specifically relates them to "they're def the muslims" from actual development sources?

The Qunari (literally, "People of the Qun") is the umbrella term most commonly used to describe the white-haired metallic-skinned race of giants and their society that governs the islands of Par Vollen and Seheron, as well as the settlement of Kont-Aar in northern Rivain, and Qundalon in the Anderfels.

They came from:

from an unknown eastern land across the Northern Ocean. They once threatened to conquer all of the known world, but after several Exalted Marches during the Qunari Wars they have lost much of the conquered land. Since then, peace has been made since with every nation except the Tevinter Imperium; with whom they are still involved in a prolonged war for dominance of the north.

Please point me where did i say that it mirrors reality! Reading comprehension much? Of course it is not literally Europa during the middle ages,it is based around it tho. As for the qun being mongols,nah their ideology/religion is far too different. The qun is extremely fanatical and authoritarian,while the Mongol empire is one of the most secular country in human history with very anarchy-authoritarianism leadership. The qun is most closer to islam in its early years. The Abbasids and the Seljuks.

Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal

In before #NotAllQunari.

Libtards have a raging fetish for being conquered by ruthless hordes of soulless barbarians.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot

latest

They came from:

Please point me where did i say that it mirrors reality! Reading comprehension much? Of course it is not literally Europa during the middle ages,it is based around it tho. As for the qun being mongols,nah their ideology/religion is far too different. The qun is extremely fanatical and authoritarian,while the Mongol empire is one of the most secular country in human history with very anarchy-authoritarianism leadership. The qun is most closer to islam in its early years. The Abbasids and the Seljuks.

Well that's all very nice, you imagining all of that, but the Abbasids and Seljuks didn't "once threaten to conquer the whole world via exalted marches" & nor did they then proceed to "lose most of their conquered lands", whereas that's an almost defacto description of the Mongol invasions.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Well i tried giving you the benefit of the doubt,but your too far gone in the teaching of the SJW. Your strawmanning is annoying,so good luck with your bullshit and so long!

PS:Quns are based on muslims,it is a fact! You are just not educated enough.
:troll::martini:

Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal

Dragon Age is a very interesting case, where the setting of the game is more interesting than any of the actual games themselves. Even Dragon Age: Oblivion did not feel like it was doing justice to its own lore and history (wrapping everything in typical Biowarian disneyland feels), and every subsequent game has been going downhill since then.

Hopefully, with DA4 and the departure of most actual Biowarians, EA will be abl... I can't even finish the sentence. I'll be shocked if the game is playable, let alone interesting.

P.S. It is also proof that a fantasy setting does not need to be """original""" in order to be interesting. Most of the things that hackfrauds like Josh Sawyer do to make things "interesting" only take away from the authenticity of the fantasy genre.

PS:Quns are based on muslims,it is a fact! You are just not educated enough.
Their expansionism is based on mudslime caliphates, but the philosophy of the Qunts is more of a daoist/confucian thing, taken to a fascistic extreme. Really, they're more like the Borg than any real-life factions.

Delterius

Arcane
The Qun is more of an ultra fascist system in an eastern system of beliefs than any clear parallel to any of the abrahamic religions. Its dystopia levels, more of a Brave New World than anything. The Qunaris themselves though are an obvious parallel to the martial cultures that eventually conquered a decadent greek empire, although there doesn't appear to be a parallel to greece's historical rivals in a kind of fantasy persia.

That said, I also gotta point out that going all 'hello good siree, your random comment about how you'd play a fantasy rpg goes against <place real world political agenda here>' like fantadomat's is p. sjw-y.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Their expansionism is based on mudslime caliphates, but the philosophy of the Qunts is more of a daoist/confucian thing, taken to a fascistic extreme.
How so? Tao is based a lot on chaos,naturalism and free movement,at least from what i know about the philosophy. Pretty hard to see them have a strict cast system and such authoritarian leadership system. Confucianism is also very secular,it is hard to see them trying to conquer the world to put them under their believe and system.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Quns are based on muslims,it is a fact!

They're quite clearly Qunaris, a fictitious amalgam of multiple historical themes designed to represent a wholly foreign peoples to the more regularly recognised stereotypes, which are themselves fictitious amalgams of many historical themes, which, by being both similar and abstract in their nature at the same time, permit the player to imagine them as pretty much anything they want. It's not the game's fault if you choose to assign your biases to the game as a result, that's just you being a typical moron, like those nutters who think female barbarians being portrayed in female barbarian clothing is somehow misogynist and demeaning to women.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Their expansionism is based on mudslime caliphates, but the philosophy of the Qunts is more of a daoist/confucian thing, taken to a fascistic extreme.
How so? Tao is based a lot on chaos,naturalism and free movement,at least from what i know about the philosophy. Pretty hard to see them have a strict cast system and such authoritarian leadership system. Confucianism is also very secular,it is hard to see them trying to conquer the world to put them under their believe and system.

Hindus have a much more strict caste system than muslims.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Quns are based on muslims,it is a fact!

They're quite clearly Qunaris, a fictitious amalgam of multiple historical themes designed to represent a wholly foreign peoples to the more regularly recognised stereotypes, which are themselves fictitious amalgams of many historical themes, which, by being both similar and abstract in their nature at the same time, permit the player to imagine them as pretty much anything they want. It's not the game's fault if you choose to assign your biases to the game as a result, that's just you being a typical moron, like those nutters who think female barbarians being portrayed in female barbarian clothing is somehow misogynist and demeaning to women.
How about you get the sjw dildo out of your ass and talk like normal dude?! I didn't argue that they are muslim from my far right point of view or anything similar,i wasn't even pushing politics in the whole dialogue mate,i even talked to you,a known sjw. I was just pointing out how i see them and why,you are the one that begun strawmanning trying to prove that they are not. I don't really have a problem for them being a muslims or you seeing them as alien space nazi or whatever. While playing the games i always make allegory between them and muslims. Good example is how they were refugees and then tried to take the city,that boss battle was hard lol. Also i would love to get scantily clad barbarian bitch in my bed! You people love assume shit about other peoples's views.

That said, I also gotta point out that going all 'hello good siree, your random comment about how you'd play a fantasy rpg goes against <place real world political agenda here>' like fantadomat's is p. sjw-y.
Uhhh what are you talking about???

Delterius

Arcane
The only thing I want is to join this fantasy faction and destroy that other fantasy faction
They are nazi white supremacists.....

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The only thing I want is to join this fantasy faction and destroy that other fantasy faction
They are nazi white supremacists.....
Well it did start an interesting discussion. Everyone could play what ever they want to.

Cael

Arcane

Actually, Gaider said outright that the Qun are the equivalent of militant islamic Borg.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
See a society segregated by caste which pretty much determine what one occupation is.

Gotta be Muslim.

:lol:

While the expansionist side is said to be inspired by Ottoman Empire, the ideology is anything but. If militant quasi religious group that spread their faith always equals to Muslim then you've got a fucking lot of Islam in every fiction.

If anything the Chantry is more Islam than the qun is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom