Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: Dreadwolf - full reveal in Summer 2024, Solas fangirls rejoice

Codex Year of the Donut
See a society segregated by caste which pretty much determine what one occupation is.

Gotta be Muslim.

:lol:

While the expansionist side is said to be inspired by Ottoman Empire, the ideology is anything but. If militant quasi religious group that spread their faith always equals to Muslim then you've got a fucking lot of Islam in every fiction.

If anything the Chantry is more Islam than the qun is.
Probably has something to do with Islam being founded by a warlord that was intent on spreading his religion by sword.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
If thats your only point to.determine if something is supposed to be Islam.or.not then you are a dumbfuck :lol:

Quasi religious militant shit is a fucking cliche that appears in fuckton of fictions of age past regardless what the core tenet of the religion.

The closest the Qun has parallel in real world is Extrimist Hindu group with 0 flexibility in the caste system.

Andraste also leads a war practically becoming the de facto religion of thedas as well. Tervinter could be seen as idol worshiping dessert nigger and Andraste is the monotheistic prophet that liberates the people of one true faith.

Chantry pretty much also destroyed the elf culture and religion theough war like the Islam expansion through war in Asia which destroys lot of Buddhist and Hindu temple.

By your logic its Islam.vs Islam in Dragon Age :lol:

We are all Muslim all along brotha :lol:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The only thing I want is to become Qunari whatever and spread the Qun all over Thedas. Mages and Chantry can burn
They are the arabs/muslims.....
the Qun has all the answers
There is quite a few Quns in Germany,France,Sweden and UK. You should try live one of those Quns for some time,it will be very enlighten experience :D.

Are you one of those people who, no matter the fantasy game, automatically assigns a real-world equivalent to any character or circumstance? You know, like those insufferable fucks who think female barbarians dressing like female barbarians is just misogyny & demeaning and all that other horseshit?

Who do Iron Golems represent in the real world for you? 19th Century Yorkshire industrialists?
Actually, Gaider said outright that the Qun are the equivalent of militant islamic Borg.
Thank you mate for digging that up :salute:.

IncendiaryDevice :smug::smug::smug::smug::smug:
Learn to read humans mate.

Cael

Arcane
See a society segregated by caste which pretty much determine what one occupation is.

Gotta be Muslim.

:lol:

While the expansionist side is said to be inspired by Ottoman Empire, the ideology is anything but. If militant quasi religious group that spread their faith always equals to Muslim then you've got a fucking lot of Islam in every fiction.

The Chantry is also outright stated to be the old Catholic Church (medieval Europe) where the Pope had a lot of real political power.

The problem with fucktards like you is that you want to IMPOSE your thinking on others to the point that there is a phrase that describes your kind of shit: La mort de l'auteur.

Cael

Arcane
Thank you mate for digging that up :salute:.

IncendiaryDevice :smug::smug::smug::smug::smug:
Learn to read humans mate.
No digging required. I remembered that because I thought it was a pretty brave thing to say in the face of SJW professional outragism. Of course, he had to "clarify" himself pretty fast after that, which we all know is code for "I just got buttraped by a horde of self-righteous SJW fake concern".

Self-Ejected

theSavant

Self-Ejected
Thanks to fantadomat I have meanwhile read a bit more into the lore of Dragon Age and it's more interesting than I expected...

Some examples:
- the original sin -> reminds one of the bible, creation, fallen angels
- how the old gods whisper to some people -> actually parts of our society (hollywood, satanic cults) are accused of serving "old gods", that they follow orders of djinns, immaterial entities whispering to them, and also sacrifice to them
- 5th blight -> Isn't it funny, that our earth is said to have 4-5 mass extinctions already?

There are a lot more parallels, but these just jumped into my eye. Makes me actually want to replay the game... (only DA:O though)

Cael

Arcane
Thanks to fantadomat I have meanwhile read a bit more into the lore of Dragon Age and it's more interesting than I expected...

Some examples:
- how the old gods whisper to some people -> actually parts of our society (hollywood, satanic cults) are accused of serving "old gods", that they follow orders of djinns, immaterial entities whispering to them, and also sacrifice to them
- 5th blight -> Isn't it funny, that our earth is said to have 4-5 mass extinctions already?

There are a lot more parallels, but these just jumped into my eye. Makes me actually want to replay the game... (only DA:O though)
The lore and the setting is pretty good at the start. Then, they went psycho with it, which is a big pity.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Some examples:

It is nice to see that there are other people that could read between the lines and see the parallels.

The lore and the setting is pretty good at the start. Then, they went psycho with it, which is a big pity.
I wouldn't go that far,anything after origins is liquid shit,sure. But the lore is still pretty solid in the other games,the core is pretty good and clear,that is why it is harder to fucked it up.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
The only thing I want is to become Qunari whatever and spread the Qun all over Thedas. Mages and Chantry can burn
They are the arabs/muslims.....
the Qun has all the answers
There is quite a few Quns in Germany,France,Sweden and UK. You should try live one of those Quns for some time,it will be very enlighten experience :D.

Are you one of those people who, no matter the fantasy game, automatically assigns a real-world equivalent to any character or circumstance? You know, like those insufferable fucks who think female barbarians dressing like female barbarians is just misogyny & demeaning and all that other horseshit?

Who do Iron Golems represent in the real world for you? 19th Century Yorkshire industrialists?
Actually, Gaider said outright that the Qun are the equivalent of militant islamic Borg.

I notice you didn't actually quote anything here, but instead gave a link. The link takes you to a fandom wiki page where an anonymous writer claims they are like the Ottomans, to which the person who wrote that paragraph is utterly retarded and thinks Moorish Spain was part of the Ottoman Empire, which it never was and had nothing to do with:

Inspired by the Ottoman Empire
I think that the qunari are inspired by the ottoman empire: the ottoman conquered quite a lot of lands in Europe, especially in eastern europe and spain. They were stopped by crusades and several wars (such as the battle of Poitiers or the infamous Saint League) and were known for the fact that they tried to convert every country they conquered. As such, Kont Aar remind me of Grenade, the last city possessed by the Ottoman in western Europe , which is still viewed as a unique exemple of religious tolerance before the XXth century. It should also be noted that the Ottoman Empire was far more advanced technologically than Europe until the Renaissance , in topic such as philosophy (Ottoman were the last heirs of the hellenic philosophers, quite a lot of savants fleeing the fall of the Roman empire to their land. Philosophers such as Platon or Aristote were reintroduced in the christian civilization by jewish intellectual: the strong jewish population in the Empire led to the translation of their text in hebrew , which in turn allowed their translation in western languages by jews living in Europe), medicine, astronomy, mathematics... They were seen as invincible before a naval victory of the Saint Alliance. well, I think there is a lot of historical parallelism between qunari and ottomans.

& it looks like anyone can edit that page.

Further down is another extremely vague reference:

"Militant Islamic Borg"
"The Qunari have been nicknamed "militant Islamic Borg" by lead writer David Gaider. Gaider later clarified that he meant this as reference to the Qunari's relationship with the other nations of Thedas, not to the specific tenets of Islam."

The quote is from the old boards, so it's going to be impossible to really confirm it, but there's a thread called "Will DA2 be racist?" on BSN, and the link to the old thread is here. ···
latest
d·day! 16:50, December 28, 2012 (UTC)

Whereby a nickname is hardly 'inspired by' & he actually distances himself from comparing them in a religious sense.

Furthermore, as I have already said, any new fantasy creation will be an amalgam, to which only a complete idiot would demand a direct allegory: See Tolkien vs Retarded Fans/aka SJW politicotards.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The Chantry is Arian Christianity with a female Jesus and a deistic God.
Ummm no,the chantry is representation of Catholicism and Trevinter chantry is orthodoxy.
Except, Tevinter is the Roman empire.
They are Byzantine empire not the Roman empire. Do you guys even played those games,or are you just scratching your tongs repeating a bunch of hearsay? That retardation is beyond ridiculous. I can't imagine that there are such rpg fans that couldn't see such basic allegories!

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Well Tevinter is pretty much how most atheists see the Byzantine empire. Large,old,patriarchal religious head,slavery,nobility with emphases on old glory.

Old Tevinter is the Roman empire,it is represented in the same way. Conquer all and rule by the right of magical power. Then it meats "Christianity",convert to it,falls and becomes many smaller countries. New Tevinter Imperium is Byzantium with the Orthodox fate,small part of the old empire still fighting against the hordes of invading barbarians,the last bastion of civilization.

If you can't make the analogy,then that is on you mate. I honestly am interested how people are not seeing it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom