Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: Dreadwolf - full reveal in Summer 2024, Solas fangirls rejoice

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
All i want/ed from dragon age games is to play Tevinter rogue noble,putting down chantry heretics and qunari filth! Ave Byzantium!

Would prefer to play as Bizantine noble perhaps of Sicily, Naples or Crimea in VIII-X century fighting Franks, Longobards and Arabs of course, putting down rebellious Popes before they become filique heretics and of course fighting of muslim filth. Would kill for RPG based in Iconoclast Emperors/Macedonian Dynasty era basically.

84887eca3dc2bc073cd0e857268541fd.jpg
8a4acc320eb699ed1f56b7b4dff79a25.jpg

Than playing another biowhore game where half of people are niggers and other half dyke womyn Comrade.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
All i want/ed from dragon age games is to play Tevinter rogue noble,putting down chantry heretics and qunari filth! Ave Byzantium!

Would prefer to play as Bizantine noble perhaps of Sicily, Naples or Crimea in VIII-X century fighting Franks, Longobards and Arabs of course, putting down rebellious Popes before they become filique heretics and of course fighting of muslim filth. Would kill for RPG based in Iconoclast Emperors/Macedonian Dynasty era basically.

Than playing another biowhore game where half of people are niggers and other half dyke womyn Comrade.
You are not the only one mate,but i do tend to not mix reality with fantasy. Such thing we will not see,expecting such creativity from an industry so creatively bankrupt is show of amazing creativity in it self :).

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2

You are not the only one mate,but i do tend to not mix reality with fantasy. Such thing we will not see,expecting such creativity from an industry so creatively bankrupt is show of amazing creativity in it self :).

Yes Commissar is sometimes fabulously Optimistic as to setting real history is more fantastic and interesting for Role playing than whatever those post christian puritans from Snownigeria can come with Just look at this picture:

4b0e2f54904a1fe45b40e2a582f325d3.jpg

Its Basil the Bulgar-Slayer so century or so later but look how fantastic those armors are... If Only Bazil was not Volcel and sired a strong heir Comrade...

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Yes Commissar is sometimes fabulously Optimistic as to setting real history is more fantastic and interesting for Role playing than whatever those post christian puritans from Snownigeria can come with Just look at this picture:

4b0e2f54904a1fe45b40e2a582f325d3.jpg

Its Basil the Bulgar-Slayer so century or so later but look how fantastic those armors are... If Only Bazil was not Volcel and sired a strong heir Comrade...
Would prefer to play as Khan Krum and drinking from his Basileus's skull goblet :obviously:.
krum.jpg

nikifor.jpg

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
http://blog.bioware.com/2018/11/29/november-update/

If you’ve been following these blogs, or myself and Mark Darrah on Twitter, you know we’re also working on some secret Dragon Age stuff. Dragon Age is an incredibly important franchise in our studio, and we’re excited to continue its legacy. Look for more on this in the coming month (though I won’t tell you where to look…)

Doesn't sound like a full-blown sequel. Maybe the rumored Dragon Age Tactics? Or Origins Remastered.

Dodo1610

Arcane
http://blog.bioware.com/2018/11/29/november-update/

If you’ve been following these blogs, or myself and Mark Darrah on Twitter, you know we’re also working on some secret Dragon Age stuff. Dragon Age is an incredibly important franchise in our studio, and we’re excited to continue its legacy. Look for more on this in the coming month (though I won’t tell you where to look…)

Doesn't sound like a full-blown sequel. Maybe the rumored Dragon Age Tactics? Or Origins Remastered.

In the worst case it's a mobile game in the best case the Dragon Age tactics/strategy game that they talked about years ago.

imweasel

Dragon Age Tactics Mobile... or maybe Dragon Age Tranny Simulator?

We'll know for sure very soon.

Wunderbar

Arcane
Dragon Age 76.
Supermutants in Ferelden were created right before the Great War, when West Tek poisoned the drinking water of Denerim with the FEV Virus, in a sinister, secret experiment gone horribly wrong.

Terra

Cipher
Once again the Codex is missing the bigger picture and avoiding the important questions. Ask not what kind of game this may be but rather the total number of gay romances and trannies in the game, for it is by that measure that this game will be judged.

imweasel

Did inquisition do well financially? Like, did it make a decent profit?
There aren't any official numbers AFAIK. What we do know:
  1. Dragon Age: Inquisition had a very strong launch,
  2. Dragon Age: Inquisition consistently failed to chart thereafter (low sales),
  3. EA eventually fired Mike Laidlaw, the game director,
  4. EA also eventually fired Aaryn Flynn, the general manager, after the Mass Effect 4 debacle, which leads to believe that EA had been disappointed with his performance for a while,
  5. EA will continue to support the series.
I believe DA:I did well enough to break even or make a small profit. That said, don't expect DA:I 2 anytime soon - or ever.

Dragon Age: Origins is also the most beloved game in the series and apparently sold well over 5 million copies, so maybe they will be moving back to that formula. We shall see.

Did inquisition do well financially? Like, did it make a decent profit?

Who knows. EA did say it was the most successful launch in BioWare history back in 2015, but I don't think there's any good numbers on budget and what it actually did. BioWare games don't exactly seem to be huge sellers from what I've seen of past numbers, so most successful launch in the BioWare's history could be smaller than what someone's mind might jump to when first hearing that.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
EA eventually fired Mike Laidlaw, the game director,
Laidlaw left three years after Inquisition's release. If it was a performance-related firing, that would have happened much earlier.

imweasel

EA eventually fired Mike Laidlaw, the game director,
Laidlaw left three years after Inquisition's release. If it was a performance-related firing, that would have happened much earlier.
It is a pretty big step to flat out fire the game director of a beloved series IMO, even if it happened three years after the last game was released. It might not have been the only reason, but I think it is very high up on the list.

Do you have a theory as to why he was given the boot?

Terra

Cipher
Depends on what you qualify as the beloved half of the series, despite his claims, Laidlaw only came on as "lead" designer for Origins during the tail end while they were porting it to console. It was Knowles and Ohlen who were responsible for the lions share of Origins, with Laidlaw's legitimate claim to fame being DA2 onwards, which speaks for itself. He was a positively reviled figure around the time of DA2's release as I recall.

Not that this has much bearing on his departure though except to point out that among the heavily splintered fanbase, he'd be a divisive figure depending on who you were asking.

Falksi

Arcane
Mike Laidlaw is a useless fat cunt, and turned what could have been the perfect marriage of old school & new school, into a shambolicly pathetic series which did nothing but immitate action & open world games awfully.

Dragon Age Origins layed some great groundwork for bringing the Baldur's Gate experience into the modern era. Yes it was flawed & had that SJW taint, but the core elements which carried it had real potential to set the standard of great C&C + tactical RPG gaming for the 3-D gen.

It's not something some of us even care about, but IMO it would have kept real RPG elements more relevant in modern video games had that standard been built on & not destroyed. Yet Laidlaw destroyed it.

He's not just a cunt, he's the cunt who took the potential hope to continue some CRPG traditions, and flushed it down the shitter just to appease a company which is the embodiment of decline.

Fuck you Laidlaw. Fuck you right in the ear.

Last edited:

Argronok

Literate
Its gonna be nothing like Dragon Age: Origins that's for sure.

Say what you will about Mass Effect, at least the 2 and 3 were better sequels then Dragon Age 2 and Inquisition. (What's Andromeda?)

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It is a pretty big step to flat out fire the game director of a beloved series IMO, even if it happened three years after the last game was released. It might not have been the only reason, but I think it is very high up on the list.

Do you have a theory as to why he was given the boot?
As far as I know, he wasn't fired, he quit. Laidlaw was responsible for execution as lead designer, but he wasn't project director, that was Mark Darrah, so he doesn't control the direction the series goes in. I figure they decided DA needed to be something he would no longer enjoy making.

Simple Simon

Scholar
There aren't any official numbers AFAIK. What we do know:
  1. Dragon Age: Inquisition had a very strong launch,
  2. Dragon Age: Inquisition consistently failed to chart thereafter (low sales),
  3. EA eventually fired Mike Laidlaw, the game director,
  4. EA also eventually fired Aaryn Flynn, the general manager, after the Mass Effect 4 debacle, which leads to believe that EA had been disappointed with his performance for a while,
  5. EA will continue to support the series.
I believe DA:I did well enough to break even or make a small profit. That said, don't expect DA:I 2 anytime soon - or ever.

Dragon Age: Origins is also the most beloved game in the series and apparently sold well over 5 million copies, so maybe they will be moving back to that formula. We shall see.

It is funny you say don't expect DA:I 2 because in many ways that's how I would characterize Mass Effect: Andromeda. It takes a lot elements. Like the first mission with the hole in the sky. And mission tables. Lots of dull crafting elements. Lots of MMO-style "quests" with very little narrative/emotional impact.

Atlantico

unida e indivisible
Patron
Undisputed Queen of Faggotry Vatnik In My Safe Space
Make the Codex Great Again!
It is funny you say don't expect DA:I 2 because in many ways that's how I would characterize Mass Effect: Andromeda. It takes a lot elements. Like the first mission with the hole in the sky. And mission tables. Lots of dull crafting elements. Lots of MMO-style "quests" with very little narrative/emotional impact.

Bioware re-using older Bioware ideas is hardly a sequel. It's business as usual. Hell people have made quite good charts to get the point across.

tumblr_n4g8cgCuBt1sj12u8o1_1280.jpg

ME:A does inherit a lot from DA:I no question, but only superficially. It's a much, much better game than DA:I ever was.

There's hardly any MMO-style quests in ME:A and crafting is just one of those box-ticking things which just don't matter. There's no rarity or chance to "crit" in crafting, no MMO bullshit in other words.

ME:A is sadly way underrated and it's mostly because ME1 doesn't really have a lot of fans - but ME:A was made for ME1 fans. It's the only ME sequel worth playing.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom