Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Dragon Age Dragon Age: Dreadwolf - full reveal in Summer 2024, Solas fangirls rejoice

Cael

Arcane
So Inquisition did well and you trolled him?
DAI tanked, from what I was given to understand. Hence the angry defensive reply.
the only place I see DAI tanking is a few users on the codex claiming so. Gaider is responding based on politics and being trolled
I have no idea, to be honest. I certainly boycotted it. I don't recall a big hullabaloo about it, and most of the stuff I read was all raving about the SJW shit in it, so I presumed it tanked.

SpaceWizardz

Liturgist
UOM8l2w.png

Codex Year of the Donut
So Inquisition did well and you trolled him?
DAI tanked, from what I was given to understand. Hence the angry defensive reply.
the only place I see DAI tanking is a few users on the codex claiming so. Gaider is responding based on politics and being trolled
If DAI didn't sell well under expectations then there would be another dragon age out by now. Its been over 4 years(the gap between DA2 and DAI was three and a half years, FYI) and the earliest a new dragon age is expected is still 3 years away.

sullynathan

Arcane
If DAI didn't sell well under expectations then there would be another dragon age out by now.
This doesn't make sense when you factor in that they released 3 DLC packs and a GOTY edition for the game. It would be like claiming if Skyrim & Witcher 3 didn't sell under expectations, there would be a TES6 & Witcher 4 by now. Things don't happen like that.

Terra

Cipher
I recall a throwaway comment from that shill shinobi602 (insider) over on neogaf before the ree-era split where he stated that initial sales were very good and they were hoping for/expecting lifetime sales to be around equal to DAO's. This is all from memory, and the guy saying it is a known shill for BioWare, cba searching for the post but it's out there somewhere and that sounds somewhat believable to me given how starved for half-decent wrpgs console gamers were in 2014. DAI got GOTY in the year that D:OS and Shadowrun Dragonfall came out, ffs, but there was nothing on consoles at that time.

That being said, assuming that it managed to equal DAO's sales, during the Laidlaw/EA era of DA2 thru DA3, they managed to sunder their fanbase with DA2, then maybe claw back the numbers (though there's assuredly a different audience making up the numbers by the time DAI rolled around), For a near decade old IP, ending up pretty much where you started sales-wise isn't exactly where you'd want to be. Especially when contrasted with the likes of Witcher 3 which enjoyed ever increasingly, undisputed sales success metrics with each subsequent release. DAI fell out of favour quickly when W3 came around, when people could see it for what it was and games journalism couldn't defend it against a undisputed superior game. So, it did well enough, but I'd guess sales tapered off in time. I recall that I could've picked up the physical DAI GOTY like 2-3 months after it released for £5 here in the UK, so take that for what it is.

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane
This announcement is for a product that hasn't even been started yet. They just wanted to remind you to pre-order Destiny.

Codex Year of the Donut
If DAI didn't sell well under expectations then there would be another dragon age out by now.
This doesn't make sense when you factor in that they released 3 DLC packs and a GOTY edition for the game. It would be like claiming if Skyrim & Witcher 3 didn't sell under expectations, there would be a TES6 & Witcher 4 by now. Things don't happen like that.
bethesda and cd projekt have a fraction of the number of developers bioware has(probably had now considering all the layoffs they've had over the past couple years)

but I'm sure bioware shuttering multiple studios over the past few years(& refocusing Austin from a brand new IP to damage control "enhancements on existing titles") is definitely a good sign.

Whiny-Butthurt-Liberal

All talent and inspiration is gone from AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA titles forever, and I couldn't care less about whatever garbage they pull out of their sjw communist shitholes for this title. No doubt, the main message will be "straight White men are evil monsters and are gloriously humiliated and destroyed by a diversity squad of brown womynz and pink-haired tranny numales, also there is no life after death and the ideology must be obeyed without question".

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I just wish developers would have their own private account, and "business" account, and not conflate the two. Or that the gaming industry would grow up and get public relations managers to represent its developers, while asking them to remove links to their job and projects from personal accounts. It would remove a lot of the fan-developer familiarity, and make them even more distant, but considering how awkward and detrimental to the marketing their statements on politics and culture are, an apparent distant apathy would be preferable.

I mean... is the concern really about twitter accounts or is it about the impact the given person will have on the game itself? Because forcing someone to have separate twitter accounts and keep one for business/gaming and the other for personal politics likely won't do anything to affect that individual's contribution to the game itself.

At this point, bioware is bioware. The games are what they are because that's what the corporate culture there is now and they hire accordingly. Expecting anything else than an inclusive fuckbot simulator with bad combat and a hackneyed plot seems incredibly optimistic.

Cael

Arcane
I just wish developers would have their own private account, and "business" account, and not conflate the two. Or that the gaming industry would grow up and get public relations managers to represent its developers, while asking them to remove links to their job and projects from personal accounts. It would remove a lot of the fan-developer familiarity, and make them even more distant, but considering how awkward and detrimental to the marketing their statements on politics and culture are, an apparent distant apathy would be preferable.

I mean... is the concern really about twitter accounts or is it about the impact the given person will have on the game itself? Because forcing someone to have separate twitter accounts and keep one for business/gaming and the other for personal politics likely won't do anything to affect that individual's contribution to the game itself.

At this point, bioware is bioware. The games are what they are because that's what the corporate culture there is now and they hire accordingly. Expecting anything else than an inclusive fuckbot simulator with bad combat and a hackneyed plot seems incredibly optimistic.
It would be as realistic as expecting google to allow a non-raving retarded SJW to work for them... Oh, wait...

Durian Eater

Learned
If DAI had actually been successful, EA would have provided concrete sales figures.
And it would have shitted out at least two more games by now. If something is successful they milk it till it is not.
EA does this with every other dev, but not Bioware for some reason. DA:O and ME2 were Bioware's two most successful games, and they decided to make games in those series that were like neither of them. EA seems to think that Bioware can do Bethesda numbers--or Witcher numbers, based on how often TW3 was name-dropped in Andromeda PR--if only they ignore their strengths and jump on the latest AAA fad, when the exact opposite has been true in practice. (Although I wouldn't say Bioware has any strengths at this point.)

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I appreciate this guy being so open about his desire to use video games as a vehicle for leftist propaganda. And from his perspective, it makes perfect sense: alienate a majority of your audience, cram Dragon Age 4 full of politicized bullshit, and if it crashes and burns (and takes Bioware down with it), who cares? You can always get another job in the industry doing the exact same thing, because you're on the Right Side of History. (Then again, is Gaider employed?) But I've never understood why EA allows this to happen. Do they value being pozzed more than making money? For all the shit EA gets over being a soulless, creatively bankrupt megacorp that micromanages their studios to death, Bioware could have been churning out semiannual ME2s for the past 10 years and they wouldn't be one flop away from oblivion.

Why Disney keeps Catlyn Kennedy after Last Soy Boy and Soyo were both commercial disappointments Comrade? There is no rift between Corporate upper Managment and SJWs at this point Comrade they share the same blend of globalist predatory capitalism and cultural Marxism aka Trotskysm from at least middle 2000s. They are now perfectly willing to loose some profits to achieve (((their))) goals. After all with social medias purged from any thought crime there will be none to ridicule their overpriced micro-transactions and game as service filled crap.

RapineDel

Augur
Inquisition didn't do poorly but it didn't do Skyrim numbers which is what EA were looking for. It was also the same year Destiny came out and that was the start of them turning away from single player.

EA would've felt Dragon Age was difficult to monetize compared to Mass Effect (pretty much all games as a service titles are shooter based, not a coincidence all the failed ones aren't like Sea of Thieves and For Honor) so they set them to work on a Mass Effect first with multiplayer built into it like 3 they could throw loot boxes etc. onto until they could tie people over to Anthem, obviously EA saw the state of Andromeda and got it out the door quickly and dropped it so now they're banking everything on Anthem.

Whatever the Dragon Age is, it's not going to be like any of the other games given it was killed by EA during development and if they've rebooted there's not a chance it's anything like Origins/Inquistion, it has to be a games as a service EA feel they can make unique as magic spells and swords haven't really been seen in a console GaaS yet.

If anyone thinks they're making a single player focused title, you can pretty much forget it based on the fact they could be making a Star Wars RPG and yet it hasn't happened. EA aren't interested.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I appreciate this guy being so open about his desire to use video games as a vehicle for leftist propaganda. And from his perspective, it makes perfect sense: alienate a majority of your audience, cram Dragon Age 4 full of politicized bullshit, and if it crashes and burns (and takes Bioware down with it), who cares? You can always get another job in the industry doing the exact same thing, because you're on the Right Side of History. (Then again, is Gaider employed?) But I've never understood why EA allows this to happen. Do they value being pozzed more than making money? For all the shit EA gets over being a soulless, creatively bankrupt megacorp that micromanages their studios to death, Bioware could have been churning out semiannual ME2s for the past 10 years and they wouldn't be one flop away from oblivion.

Why Disney keeps Catlyn Kennedy after Last Soy Boy and Soyo were both commercial disappointments Comrade? There is no rift between Corporate upper Managment and SJWs at this point Comrade they share the same blend of globalist predatory capitalism and cultural Marxism aka Trotskysm from at least middle 2000s. They are now perfectly willing to loose some profits to achieve (((their))) goals. After all with social medias purged from any thought crime there will be none to ridicule their overpriced micro-transactions and game as service filled crap.
Don't worry mate,the retarded fanboys will return in drove now that jar jar abrams is back leading the inclusive parade. All the critics of the movies are now "fuck yeah,we have won,Rian Johnson is no longer the leading cuck,it is time we go back to slurping shit from our benevolent master Disney!" . The only cure for this cancer is nuclear winter!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm not so sure a new Dragon Age wouldn't be a more single player focused title actually. If Anthem is BioWare's multiplayer game then they wouldn't want to compete against themselves, right?

They might want to try to create their own Skyrim and do it right this time. That's potentially commercially lucrative enough. Of course it's so far off that who knows what'll happen.

RapineDel

Augur
I'm not so sure a new Dragon Age wouldn't be a more single player focused title actually. If Anthem is BioWare's multiplayer game then they wouldn't want to compete against themselves, right?

They might want to try to create their own Skyrim and do it right this time. That's potentially commercially lucrative enough. Of course it's so far off that who knows what'll happen.

EA is not funding a Skyrm title in 2018 (and beyond this will be out in 2021 at a bare minimum). After Inquisition under performed (granted EA likely had unrealistic expectations) and they saw Andromeda was a disaster they pulled the plug on whatever Dragon Age they were working on. That should tell you single player is off the guards, they're on a tight leash now.

Given Dragon Age GaaS won't be out for 3 years it won't be competing with Anthem at all. It won't be on PS4 for one thing and publishers don't expect these games to last 5+ years, they want 2-3 years of consistent revenue before the next big thing comes out so they get all the whales starting up again on all the new skins/loot boxes etc. as it's fresh slate, not to mention the $60 entry fee.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom