Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Expeditions Series Ideas

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
So I bought Expeditions: Conquistador in that last sale and I've got to say it would be hard to imagine an RPG that fits my sensibilities more. Assuming Logic Artists doesn't fold under the weight of their curious investment into third-person stealth action, I've ran through a list of possible new settings and thought I would share them.

Expeditions: East Indies

You would be a representative of the East India Trade Company during its transition from a confederacy of semi-autonomous, ethnically British factory towns along India’s coast to the mega corporate ‘Company Rule’ and direct civil and military administration of major territories in the Indian Sub-Continent. After resolving tensions between the factory town hub and its host raj on the coast, you would move deeper into the Sub-Continent with the suitably vague goal of establishing new trade relationships in unexplored rajas, either through diplomatic and cultural interchange or economic and military manipulation. Probably the period of history that would play *most* like the Age of Discovery in South America. If you want to replicate the ‘El Dorado’ overtones of the original, you can make a subplot about obtaining a magical diamond or similar mystical artifact.

Expeditions: Vikings

You would start as a war leader in the Varagian Guard commanding an ethnically mixed (and quarrelsome) group of Scandinavians and maybe a disgruntled Anglo-Saxon or two displaced by the Norman Conquest of England, fighting on behalf of the Byzantines against their Turkish foes or vice versa. The second campaign would be about the expansion of Kievan Rus, Norse-Slav interaction, and the foundation of a fictional analogue to the Rurik dynasty (who eventually founded the Tsardom of Russia and were later replaced by the Romanovs in the very late 1500s). Not the most cohesive idea (and the Vikings were a pretty alien culture themselves in medieval period's spectrum of Euro-normativity) but I think it would capture the feel of being strangers in strange lands pretty well.

Expeditions: Crusader

You would start as a (probably French) crusader leading a Canterbury style pilgrimage to the Holy Land to recover the Holy Grail (or some other religious artifact), then wind up getting delayed in Italy or Byzantium or somewhere. In the second campaign, you caught up in the intrigues of pro-war and pro-peace nobles in the Kingdom of Jerusalem while interacting with the varied Sultanates of the Middle East.

Also Legionnaire (Campaign #1 Gaul--> Campaign #2 Briton), China (probably something 19th century although I think the 16th century would be more exiting), and Africa (although I’m not sure when or who the colonizing power would be).

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Expeditions: Hannibal, Expeditions: Saladin, Expeditions: Attila, Expeditions: Great Khan, Expeditions: Normans, Expeditions: Umayyad, Expeditions: One of these

Fuck you

Last edited:

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I don't really think it matters what historical viewpoint the game takes, as long as it improves on the gameplay and has better performance than the last one it will be a fucking sweet game.

laclongquan

Arcane
Prolly should avoid the religious topic. it will cause needless controversy.

ANd I agree that expedition style is not exploited enough in games

Expedition: Native trading.
Setting: east/west indian company. You lead a trade mission to maximize profit by rip off natives. BOnus: selling opium to CHinese to create much butthurt. even more bonus point if you can recreate the trade imbalance between british empire and china before the brit think of opiums.

Expedition: Cortez conquer!
Setting: central america. Use diplomacy to divide and conquer, and hire one tribe to hit another for you. Troll the Mex'!

Expeditions: The Heart of Darkness. Set in 19th century Africa.

Expeditions: Promised Land(name pending). The struggle of the jewish people for a nation of their own. Probably set a while after the Second World War rather than the Interwar period.

Expeditions: Habsburg. Set during the reconquest of the Balkans. Yugos just don't know what is best for them. (Protip: Habsburg rule)

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Short version: we need moar historical RPGs

I'd also REALLY love a contemporary RPG. Something like D20 modern. Yeah I know there's real life for that, but there's so many games set in our very world, and yet no RPGs.

Me too! Something like GTA: the RPG, or an RPG where you play a private eye or FBI investigator inspired by pulp magazines like the Jerry Cotton mags that are popular here in Germany, or some Urban Arcana RPG with traditional fantasy magic in a modern setting (but more like secret wizard societies living in secret, kinda like the WoD mage setting, with a focus on urban legends and mystery, and no standard fantasy races), or maybe a spy RPG where you infiltrate another country for glorious Mother Russia or something... there are so many cool games possible in a modern world setting. Or contemporary history, basically anything from 1900 to today (WW2 RPG would also be very cool, or cold war spy RPG, etc).

WHY IS NOBODY MAKING THIS GTA THE RPG WOULD BE IMMENSELY POPULAR

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Short version: we need moar historical RPGs

I'd also REALLY love a contemporary RPG. Something like D20 modern. Yeah I know there's real life for that, but there's so many games set in our very world, and yet no RPGs.

Me too! Something like GTA: the RPG, or an RPG where you play a private eye or FBI investigator inspired by pulp magazines like the Jerry Cotton mags that are popular here in Germany, or some Urban Arcana RPG with traditional fantasy magic in a modern setting (but more like secret wizard societies living in secret, kinda like the WoD mage setting, with a focus on urban legends and mystery, and no standard fantasy races), or maybe a spy RPG where you infiltrate another country for glorious Mother Russia or something... there are so many cool games possible in a modern world setting. Or contemporary history, basically anything from 1900 to today (WW2 RPG would also be very cool, or cold war spy RPG, etc).

WHY IS NOBODY MAKING THIS GTA THE RPG WOULD BE IMMENSELY POPULAR

How about...

TEX MURPHY: THE RPG.

I got a boner just by typing that.

PS - I'd actually prefer a magic-free modern setting.

Expeditions: Aguirre.

Go crazy in the jungle, kill half your men and rebel against the crown. Romance your own daugther for a 5$ DLC.

V_K

Arcane
Expeditions: RPGCodex, of course. Gather your faithful trolls and go battle the deceitful trannies of Decline. And don't forget to manage your supply of doritos and dew.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom