Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Fading suns game

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Anybody remember that old strategy game "empire of the fading suns" based on the table top rpg? Well, it seems as though there will be a ev:nova/starflight kind of game coming up that uses the same setting. The info on the site seems quite cool. Hope they'll be able to make themselves a neat freeform space trader/fighter/pirate game.

http://www.matrixgames.com/games/noblearmada/

Check it out!

Trash

Astromarine

Erudite
Actually Noble Armada was an incredibly fun tabletop strategy game. It managed inertial physics, had a great setting, very different factions, etc. I was very pissed that I never found anyone to play it with. I bought the RPG based on the minis game, and didn't consider it a waste *at all*, even if all I did with both was read the books a few times.

EDIT: here's a post describing the game a bit. Sounds like EVN, but the setting, as I said, is friggin great

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/showt ... adid=38337

Seran

Novice
I have played both the tabletop Noble Armada and the PnP Fading Suns game, and both rock. Empire of te Fading suns was a great game as well. It is a shame that the Noble Armada computer game seems like it has been in development since 1998 or so. I am beginning to wonder if it is ever coming out.

Seven

Erudite
I didn't know that they put this game back into production. There was a problem between the dev and publisher. Essentially, this game has been frozen for a while. BTW, there was a demo a long time ago which had various design flaws which I hope won't see their way into this new incarnation.

infantrymen

Novice
Èììèãðàöèÿ â ×åõèþ, Áèçíåñ â ×åõèè, Òðóäîóñòðîéñòâî, Íåäâèæèìîñòü: http://www.cernis.cz

Seven

Erudite
infantrymen said:
Èììèãðàöèÿ â ×åõèþ, Áèçíåñ â ×åõèè, Òðóäîóñòðîéñòâî, Íåäâèæèìîñòü: http://www.cernis.cz

Fuck Off.

In related news: it seems that this game has been cancelled again. It's a shame as they had a lot of customization and interesting ideas.

obediah

Erudite
I love the atmosphere in Fading Suns, it reminds me of what WH40K was before GW starting pimping it out to the well off parents of 8-16 year old nerdy little shits.

For some reason I'm a sucker for any game world after you remove hope.

Saran

Scholar
obediah said:
I love the atmosphere in Fading Suns, it reminds me of what WH40K was before GW starting pimping it out to the well off parents of 8-16 year old nerdy little shits.

For some reason I'm a sucker for any game world after you remove hope.

There was always hope in 40k, both the Eldar and the IOM have a "Saviour Prophecy".

While the marines are no longer as psychotic as they used to be, the universe remains unchanged for the most part, indeed GW have let the Illuminati and the sensai disappear quietly from the fluff, which removes one of the thin rays of hope that the WH40K universe has.

Chaos is still slowly destroying the IOM from the inside, and billions of guardsmen and women are dying on backward shitholes throughout the galaxy.

And thats ignoring the threat of the Tyranids and the Necrons, both of which are tearing the IOM apart. (though they tend to only be the "Greatest threat EVAR!!!!" until the release of a new codex, which does get a bit annoying.)

As for the fading suns game, i doubt we'll ever see it, which is a shame, while im not that familiar with the setting, it appears to be a fairly interesting universe from the little ive read about it.

Seven

Erudite
As for the fading suns game, i doubt we'll ever see it, which is a shame, while im not that familiar with the setting, it appears to be a fairly interesting universe from the little ive read about it.

I definitely reccommend trying the turn based strategy that came out (what a decade ago?). It's an all around great game, and you'll find yourself forgiving it's short comings given the era of its development.

obediah

Erudite
Saran said:
There was always hope in 40k, both the Eldar and the IOM have a "Saviour Prophecy".

While the marines are no longer as psychotic as they used to be, the universe remains unchanged for the most part, indeed GW have let the Illuminati and the sensai disappear quietly from the fluff, which removes one of the thin rays of hope that the WH40K universe has.

Chaos is still slowly destroying the IOM from the inside, and billions of guardsmen and women are dying on backward shitholes throughout the galaxy.

And thats ignoring the threat of the Tyranids and the Necrons, both of which are tearing the IOM apart. (though they tend to only be the "Greatest threat EVAR!!!!" until the release of a new codex, which does get a bit annoying.)

Wow, I'm obviously out of my league here. I haven't bought or read 40K fluff since the late 80s. I try not to think about how much of a rip off everything was - Eldar from Elrik, Tyranids from Aliens, Necrons from Anime, hell space marines form heinlein or wherever. Like I said, I haven't followed the fluff, so it may be the audience that has stripped the grit from 40k, rather than the authors, I just don't know.l

Saran

Scholar
obediah said:
Saran said:

Wow, I'm obviously out of my league here. I haven't bought or read 40K fluff since the late 80s. I try not to think about how much of a rip off everything was - Eldar from Elrik, Tyranids from Aliens, Necrons from Anime, hell space marines form heinlein or wherever. Like I said, I haven't followed the fluff, so it may be the audience that has stripped the grit from 40k, rather than the authors, I just don't know.l

Im not trying to get be anal retentive, sorry if it came across like that, your spot on about the changing demographics however, most of the players are under 18 and nearly every single one of them play as SM's.

As for the fluff, im probably only a bit more knowledgable than you, the only interest i have in WH40k comes from the novels and the computer games, the only reason i discovered WH40k was because one of my friends in primary school had an older brother that played, and i borrowed a copy of white dwarf off of him, since then I've been hooked on the misery of the setting. :lol:

As for GW's inspiration, yeah its funny, nearly everything is a rip off of someone elses idea, what i really love is when a GW fanboy goes on about how starcraft is a rip-off of WH40k, all the while ignoring GW's plagarism, Even though one of the newer races, the tau, was created for the sole purpose of attracting japanimation fans (And with all their talk of "The greater good", communists :lol: ).

Saran

Scholar
Edit: Double post but since its here.....

Seven said:

I definitely reccommend trying the turn based strategy that came out (what a decade ago?). It's an all around great game, and you'll find yourself forgiving it's short comings given the era of its development.

Hmmm, the boards must be a bit screwy, first your reply wasnt there the first time i looked at the responses, and secondly, my reply to obediah was posted twice.

Anyhow, thanks for the recommendation, unfortunetly i downloaded it a few months ago from the underdogs but it refused to work, no matter how much i fiddled around with the compatability settings and DosBoxl, i might give it another try though (I have a tendancy to give up if a game doesnt work after a couple of attempts. :lol:)

obediah

Erudite
Saran said:
Im not trying to get be anal retentive, sorry if it came across like that, your spot on about the changing demographics however, most of the players are under 18 and nearly every single one of them play as SM's.

Nah, you just actually know about the stuff I was bullshitting about. :) Luckily, I seemed to have gotten the tapestry right, even if some threads were wrong. Oh well, unfortunately, the closest I come to caring about GW at this point is wondering how much my Realms of Chaos books are worth.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom