Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Vapourware New Sci-fi Game Based on Lem's Book

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by toro, Jan 11, 2020.

1. toro Arcane

toro
    [​IMG]

https://www.gamepressure.com/editor...-on-lem-conversation-with-the-deveopers/za208

There are pictures in the article.

• Brofist x 6
    • Excited! x 2
    • Merry Christmas! x 1
    • incline x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • Hoo x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Egosphere Magister

Egosphere
    Well, I don't think it's Solaris. Futurological congress isn't it. Is it a Cyberiad adaptation? There's some funky looking robot in one of the pics.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    • decline decline x 1
    • No No x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. toro Arcane

toro
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. vortex Fabulous Optimist

vortex
    [​IMG]

• Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Beowulf Erudite

Beowulf
    Judging by the promo poster image, I'd say it's "Invincible".

On a side note - they recently adapted it to a comic book, with support from Polish Ministry of Culture.
    Here's the animated trailer:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    • Brofist x 4
    • Informative x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • nice x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Naraya Arbiter

Naraya
    Maybe it's The Invincible? (Niezwyciężony, one of the best Lem's books IMO).

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Beowulf Erudite

Beowulf
    Well, in one of the interviews Lem himself stated that "The Invincible" is best suited to a movie adaptation, as it has less philosophical undertones, and is more of a (hard) sci-fi adventure in a classic sense.
    But no, we keep getting attempts at filming "Solaris".

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Nifft Batuff Savant

Nifft Batuff
    The Invincible is also the best suited for a game adaptation, maybe also a RPG...

• Yes Yes x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Peachcurl Educated

Peachcurl
    Let's see:
    • The photos: best match with the Invincible. Of course, this may just be parts of the locations and landscape they model, depending on their current development stage.
    • The promotional banner: could match with the very start of Fiasco (on Titan) As others pointed out, this is wrong. In fact, it seems the banner mirrors the cover images of several Invincible editions. Shame on me. ;)
    • The few hints from the article:
    Wwwwelll... this matches with nearly all books.

The Invincible or Eden. Weakly matches Fiasco, but it's a stretch.

Sounds like Invincible to me.

Again, The Invincible. Others would be a stretch (We'd have to interpret "people" as "alien people", and ignore "traces").

Invincible.

• I'd exclude Cyberiad, since they explicitely talk about "book" rather than "short stories". Unless that's a translation error.

This video looks like it has some interesting information, now we just need one of the polish people here to translate it. ;)
    At least it has some more concept art, in some slide's background.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Atrachasis Augur

Atrachasis
    Assuming that the artist had any clue whatsoever - nope, as that clearly isn't Saturn in the background (nothing intentifiably within our solar system, as a matter of fact).

"The Astronauts" hasn't been mentioned yet, but it doesn't really fit the information given so far, so I'll place another bet on "Invincible".

^ Top  
  11. Vaarna_Aarne Notorious Internet Vandal Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    I too am going to guess that it's The Invincible.

EDIT: On a more visual cue note, assuming that's not just something Gamepressure made for the article (at least as far as I can tell it's official art), the picture definitely feels like a callback to many of the covers for The Invincible. Several of them feature skeletal and half-buried astronauts.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2020
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 3
    ^ Top  
  12. Nifft Batuff Savant

Nifft Batuff
    Italian edition (1970-80) cover by Karel Thole:
    [​IMG]

• Prestigious Prestigious x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Zed Duke of Banville Zo Kath Ra Patron

Zed Duke of Banville
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    • (autism) (autism) x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
  15. Beowulf Erudite

Beowulf
    I didn't want to go into details why Peachculr's analysis is based on wrong assumptions, but it seems like you also haven't read Fiasco:
    About books (open)

"Fiasco's" beginning happens in an icy environment, and Pirx is piloting a big mecha. He suffers an accident and uses emergency procedure that cut's off pilot's head and crushes the jaws in order too freeze and presreve the brain immediately.
    In "The Invincible" we even get a description of skull lying in the sand and there are still oxygen bottles that are not fully used.

Take a look at the image - to what description it is closer?

Second point -
    Well - no. The main protagonist is more often than no an astronaut of some kind, even in the books happening on earth.
    Excluding short stories we have scientist as a main protagonist in "Masters Voice", which happens on earth during something resembling Cold War.
    Can't really remember other instances.

Ahh, the angry cyberbee one. Found the same on my parents' shelf.

[​IMG]

• Button Button x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Peachcurl Educated

Peachcurl
    You guys are of course right about the mismatch with Fiasco, the two bodies that are collected there are somewhat intact, no skulls involved. And, yes, besides the rings, the planet in the background looks nothing like Saturn.

You are missing the point. Their job description may not be "scientist". That does not prevent them from fitting to that archetype. Otherwise, is your suggestion that the game is about "Masters Voice"? It seems not.

From my point of view, there's scientist main characters at least in Masters Voice, Invincible, Eden, Fiasco, Solaris, and The Man from Mars.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Beowulf Erudite

Beowulf
    Come on.
    You most likely will play as on of the (named or unnamed) scientists from the crew of the ship, not the protagonist of the book (if there was any).
    Half of them were scientists, and doubled as drivers/divers and whatnot on the land expeditions.

The protagonists "job descriptions" are pilot, navigator, astrogator, policeman, doctor, psuchlogist etc. and they don't do experiments in the lab for countless hours, they do their jobs.

But I get what you mean - nearly all of the main characters in Lem's novels are pretty knowledgable and have expertise in various fields and so might fit the "holywood scientist" archetype.

^ Top  
  18. DraQ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    Everything about it screams "The Invincible".
    It leaves good opportunities for open/multiple endings too.
    Of course, I wouldn't mind having something based on Eden or even Fiasco either (and they would also work in terms of player driven endings, although that would mean departure from original ones).

And shitty ones at that (open)

[​IMG]
    Still better adaptation than Soderbergh's crap.
    :martini:

There are books that are inherently more filmable than others. The Invincible really begs to have a big budget thrown at it. Eden or Fiasco would also work. Solaris? Not so much.
    Solaris as a fucking space romance raping everything about the original? Please fucking die and take your extended family with you.
    :mob:
    The protagonist quite literally looks for traces of people in The Invincible. If that's not a hint, I don't know what is.

Most of Lem's books are some of his best.
    :love:
    There are some pics in the background that look kind of icy-ish and Titan-y but other than that there is no match, everything else screams "The Invincible".

There is also the part that the main protagonist of book and game don't need to overlap. Plenty of scientists on the Invincible or Euridice, the crew that crashed on Eden also had scientific specializations, even though they were more like engineers, Solaris station was manned by scientists, and MaVo's cast was also almost 100% researchers (although Master's Voice is very unfilmable and also doesn't seem to have any game potential, despite being perhaps my favourite Lem's book).

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Peachcurl Educated

Peachcurl
    Good point. Using another crew member as main character would also make it easier to deviate from the book without contradicting it.

• Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. MF The Boar Studio Patron Developer

MF
    Looks cool. I'm also pretty sure it'll be based on The Invincible.

I still have to read the new direct translation sometime. The one I read was and English version derived from the German version. I'm not sure how much was lost in being twice removed from Polish.

^ Top  
  21. JackOfOwls Liturgist

JackOfOwls
    Read the synopsis for The Invincible. It's just so great. Makes me want to read it, but not the translation by Uncle Forry's doddering old wife.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. DraQ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    It was a pretty memorable scene in the novel, after all.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Vaarna_Aarne Notorious Internet Vandal Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    And the inciting mystery of its story, what happened to the crew of Condor that just made them sit still until they died?

^ Top  
  24. Morkar illiterate

Morkar
    I have no clue whatsoever but could be The Invincible

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. JackOfOwls Liturgist

JackOfOwls
    It could be a cool action FPS/RPG if based on The Invincible. Just that artwork of the astronaut's skeleton buried in the sand is pretty evocative of what direction the game could take. To give variety to the game's enemies they'd have to broaden the single menace of the robotic insects to something more, I think. But I'm thinking this could be the best game of its type since Stalker if enough care and imagination is put into it.

In Black Mesa's Xen section, you come across all these dead suited humans that somehow got transported from our world to theirs that you can loot from. Unfortunately they didn't really do anything with the idea but it was an interesting image.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)