Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New to blobbers, what to play?

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Tsss, you made me check that ... I thought it was an amazing blobber i never heard about ... :P
It's an interesting example of a blobber/FPS mix. I'm yet to see more games that try this idea.

Unlike terridumb two-step tango, this approach could carve its own niche and/or become a nice distraction, like a chewing gum for blobber fans.

Incendax

Augur
As for M&M X, every Might & Magic fan should play it, not just for completion purposes, one should experience the decline to know what has been lost, besides it's alright outside of Loading times and frequences, Lloyd's Beacon nerf and town mazes.
I found MMX to be... a perfectly average game that basically had nothing to do with Might and Magic. It probably would have been received better if it wasn’t being compared to earlier MM games. But I felt the same way about Dark Messiah, so what do I know.

V_K

Arcane
I've played Legend of Grimrock which was alright. I've played some Wiz 8 and liked it a lot but didn't continue, need to get back to it eventually. Right now I'm playing Wiz 7 and it's pretty great. What should I play next? Or what are some classics I shouldn't miss? Other than finishing Wiz 8.

I like grid based and turn-based the most, and I'd prefer to have something to look at so not like M&M 1.

Thx u beautiful bigoted elitists
Bradley's Wizardries are hard to top unfortunately, so Wiz6 and Wizards&Warriors are your only hope more or less. I never found level design in any M&M games terribly exciting, and BT is the definition of popamole, while Japs are just tediously repetitive.
Of the modern TB blobbers, Frayed Knights, Paper Sorcerer and 7 Mages are alright, but they all have significant flaws: FK has premade (though customizable) party and goofy humor; PS looks great, but its levels are small and kinda simplistic; and 7M, while having many good ideas and interesting levels, is bogged down by simplistic character system and lack of enemy variety.
One controversial suggestion would be Lords of Xulima - it has isometric exploration, but blobber-style combat and its general approach to gameplay and level design is much closer to later Wizardries than to other isometric games.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
I've played Legend of Grimrock which was alright. I've played some Wiz 8 and liked it a lot but didn't continue, need to get back to it eventually. Right now I'm playing Wiz 7 and it's pretty great. What should I play next? Or what are some classics I shouldn't miss? Other than finishing Wiz 8.

I like grid based and turn-based the most, and I'd prefer to have something to look at so not like M&M 1.

Thx u beautiful bigoted elitists
But yes, I agree that Might and Magic is a wonderful series for new Blobbers. You get the classic experience with MM 1-2. Some great intro Blobber games with MM 3-5. Just good solid Blobbers with MM 6-8.

This, finally, i can't believe it took that long for someone to mention Isles of Terra (Might & Magic III), then, years worth of gameplay awaits through the whole series.

I mentioned the whole Might & Magic series in the third message of this thread.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
I second M&MX, it isn't a bad game and it's a good introduction to blobbers, especially if you don't "get" them yet. It was the first blobber I finished and I managed to understand the genre. After that, basically anything good mentioned in this thread is fine.

EldarEldrad

Savant
If you were satisfied in Legend of Grimrock then you definitely should play Dungeon Master. And hey, its graphics obviously better than M&M1 (except for NES version). Another one good starting option is Lands of Lore: Throne of Chaos

Wunderbar

Arcane
Nothing, blobbers suck.
NRGtxyD.jpg

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
Someone mentioned the Eye of the Beholder series earlier, so I'll throw it out there again, just so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle.

Nyast

Cipher
If you liked Grimrock 1, give a try to Grimrock 2. It's bigger, better, with outdoor areas and more variety and improved monster tactics.

In grid-based I'd also recommend Vaporum. It has beautiful graphics, doesn't overstay its welcome, and also has pretty interesting combat for a RT blobber. Too bad you only control one character.

If you prefer a game more focused on combat with MMO mechanics, have a look at The Fall of the Dungeon Guardians.

I'll also mention Dungeon Kingdom: Sign of the Moon ( under development, but very promising ) and 7 mages ( turn-based, with lots of characters ).

TemplarGR

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
TemplarGR

Why do blobbers suck TemplarGR? I mean, your sig says you're a combatfag.

Being a combatfag means you care primarily for gameplay/combat in games, and not for the story/writting. And combat-focused games aren't always GOOD.

Blobbers are a thing of the past. They were developed at a time when hardware just wasn't adequate enough for proper first person real time movement in crpgs. Now that we have 32 core cpus and 64gigs of main ram and 20 teraflops of gpu power, why do we need to keep these shitty conventions?

Give us proper 3D movement dammit!

PS: I did enjoy Vaporum somewhat lately...

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i expected something better from a codexer than that old chestnut "thing of the past". utter nonsense when you think about it for 2 seconds, i think it's called a logical fallacy or something like that?

but anyway, thanks for answering.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
TemplarGR

Why do blobbers suck TemplarGR? I mean, your sig says you're a combatfag.

Being a combatfag means you care primarily for gameplay/combat in games, and not for the story/writting. And combat-focused games aren't always GOOD.

Blobbers are a thing of the past. They were developed at a time when hardware just wasn't adequate enough for proper first person real time movement in crpgs. Now that we have 32 core cpus and 64gigs of main ram and 20 teraflops of gpu power, why do we need to keep these shitty conventions?

Give us proper 3D movement dammit!

PS: I did enjoy Vaporum somewhat lately...
There's a special game created just for the likes of you.

It's called Skyrim.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom