Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Total War game: Warhammer

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
THQ not working on DoW would be like Activision not working on CoD

Deleted member 7219

Imagine a huge battlefield with huge 40k armies. And weep tears of joy.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
If it even comes close to Shadow of the Horned Rat I'll be happy. That remains the fucking best Warhammer video game to date for me.

And yes, that means Skaven are obligatory for me.

TripJack

Hedonist
creative assembly has been making nothing but lame shitgames for many years now

you guys get too easily excited

Karmapowered

Augur
Looking forwards to this.

Just hoping they'll make it more like Shogun 2 than ETW, and Steam ain't that bad. It could have been Origin, Uplay or worse, Windows Live.

If it even comes close to Shadow of the Horned Rat I'll be happy. That remains the fucking best Warhammer video game to date for me.

Just curious, but what makes you prefer SOTHR over Dark Omen ? The latter remains the staple for me on computers.

And yes, that means Skaven are obligatory for me.

skaven-head.jpg

I can't wait to zoom all the way in on my troops charging.

spectre

Arcane
Total war engine should be good enough for a real time adaptation of warhammer (turn based? I mean let's be realistic here).
Not terribly excited about it, doubt it'll reach Dark Omen level of goodness, at the most I think it'll be just a bit better than the warhammer mod for Medieval 2.

The campaign will make or break the game imo. I think Warhammer is more suited to the "mercenary band manager" type of play rather than the standard fare Total War strategic level we're likely to get.

I doubt its gonna be turn-based, to my limited knowledge Warhammer40k was strategy and Warhammer was role-play, I didnt know Warhammer was also strategy,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000_Roleplay
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warhammer_Fantasy_Battle

All warhammer stuffies come in tabletop and rpg variants.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.

Just curious, but what makes you prefer SOTHR over Dark Omen ? The latter remains the staple for me on computers.

Those awesome cartoony cut-scenes were miles above what they did in its sequel. The general art direction was much more in that vein and I really enjoyed it. Game also seemed to have had higher production values overall. And hey, I really dug those Skaven.

Karmapowered

Augur
No worries, I can understand that, and to be very clear from the start, both games remain excellent even by modern standards, and recommended by me.

In my mind, Skaven always had an exceptionnally strong otherworldly feel to them, way beyond any mutation that could have happened because of a "natural" Chaos. I realize it's probably not very canon, but I portrayed them as deprived of any ability to speak, except with some low-keyed and throaty hissing, a bit like meeting one of those angry puppies in a dark alley :

There is something at work behind them, something way beyond a powerful congregation of corrupted Archwizards, something unGODly <insert mandatory evil-sounding MUHahaha echo here>.

However they come though, I say MOAR!

Thanks for the news, made my day/evening.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Hey, this way Creative Assembly can excuse its abhorrent programming and nonexistent AI as being replications of the Warhammer universe.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
certainly not

total war got old for me with rome

That's odd, because MTW2 +Kingdoms was/is probably the best TW game they have ever made. Mods just make it that much better. Rome's beginning was too messy, and they finally got the engine right with MTW2. Empire fell off the wagon and was dumbed down and cut corners(obvious that they put too much on the plate and had to cut half of it to release it). Napoleon just ended up being a small campaign in the Empire engine, which made it better(but still mediocre), and then with STW2 they finally made a decent game with their newer engine. Vanilla STW2 is a little bland, but polished, and retains some of the absurdities of the engine(sieges), but with the expansions, and especially Fall of the Samurai, becomes a pretty damn good game. It's simple, polished, and fun, with just enough strategic and tactical complexity to keep you going back for a little more.

That's what TW games do best. Obviously a strategy layer closer in complexity to a Paradox, or even Civ game would be great, but that isn't what they are going for and never have. The game has always been about the battles. Massive, bloody, glorious battles. If they can get the strategy part to be decent enough and not fuck up battle mechanics(they will undoubtedly have real sieges in RTW2), then the games will be good.

And thank jesus they have one of the most active modding communities of any game. That is honestly a selling point.

Dead Guy

Cipher
So, the circle is completed in a way. Like when GW made a LOTR table top game, but now it's CA and presumably Total War getting to do what they probably wanted to from the beginning.

To me the Total War series has always more or less been WHFB in real time without fantasy and magic. The rules are pretty much ripped straight from the table top, particularly how morale works.

I'm midly looking forward to this, despite being disappointed with a lot of things in the TW series since MTW. Battles are too fast in many titles, the AI is too retarded in many titles, siege pathing is atrocious. Empire was the worst by far, Shogun 2 was a distinct improvement but still had the Rome-type of ultra-fast battles where shit is over before you have time to flank, and it got rid of archers shooting further when on high ground, I guess because they just took the Empire engine and didn't bother to correct it for bows vs muskets.

It's all been grafix!!! the last decade while the AI hasn't been able to keep up, and the constantly touted mantra of epic battles with thousands of soldiers that always turn out to be pretty much as big as the last game in the end.

At least one can hope it won't be like Mark of Chaos.

oscar

Arcane
That Warhammer mod for MTW2 is pretty damn sweet. Did a lot of impressive things I doubted the engine would allow. You also get some pretty genuinely epic and challenging battles.

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture

Those awesome cartoony cut-scenes were miles above what they did in its sequel. The general art direction was much more in that vein and I really enjoyed it. Game also seemed to have had higher production values overall. And hey, I really dug those Skaven.

Definitely, the 3D portraits in DO are a big step backwards. I really liked the briefings in SotHR, too; The old dude reporting the mission to you felt like a much better way of presenting it than the DRAMA!!-discussions in DO that all end with Morghan growling at someone.

I wish SotHR had multiplayer, I still play Dark Omen multiplayer (the mod work it's recieved in the last 6 years has really made it something special)

I realize it's probably not very canon

I'm pretty sure the canon rat-dudes are a comedy race (unless you've played WFRP). They're big-deal warmachine for the past 18 years has been a giant hamster wheel.

asper

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Okay, I'm out of touch with the gaming world, so someone tell me what the odds are of getting something at least in the vein of Shadow of the Horned Rat.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Okay, I'm out of touch with the gaming world, so someone tell me what the odds are of getting something at least in the vein of Shadow of the Horned Rat.
The battle scenes are quite likely to be fairly similar, since the Total War games are already in that style. A SotHR style campaign with specific missions, choices and consequences and gradual plot development is less likely.

MetalCraze

Arcane
It will be a yet another Total War reskin since that's the only thing CA is capable of doing nowadays.

Boring.

Music will be some shitty orchestral crap too instead of warhammer-heavy.

At least I hope it won't be Teen shit and will have a proper gore.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom