Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Total War game: Warhammer

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
performance seems bretty gud

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
General consensus so far among reviewers is that this is the best total war so far yet, take that as you will.:M

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
87rmxDv.gif

:d1p:

Mark Richard

Arcane
General consensus so far among reviewers is that this is the best total war so far yet, take that as you will.:M
Rome 2 had good reviews too. Of course the difference between that time and today is that now we get to see hours upon hours of unedited gameplay footage on Youtube from people who know what they’re actually talking about.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Whoever gonna buy this, should do it in the first week as the Chaos is free for the first week.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Whoever gonna buy this, should do it in the first week as the Chaos is free for the first week.

CA and Focus only made that small concession after people complained vehemently about Chaos Warriors being exclusive pre-order incentives. The offer applies only to Chaos Warriors specifically, as far as I've gleaned, but I don't know if that means that all of Chaos except Chaos Warriors will be playable without the DLC, or if Chaos is totally unplayable without them. Chaos is a core part of the single-player campaign regardless of which race you're playing.

Either way, it's a shitty move, holding core content that's already been developed hostage and reserving it only for early adopters, or for a fee at a later date. The "buy our shit now or we'll rip a bunch of stuff out of the game and charge you for it later" revenue model marches ever onward.

I'm starving for a good, relatively new strategy game, thanks to Stellaris' launch, which put me in the mood for strategy, even though I won't touch Stellaris itself with a ten-foot pole for various reasons. I'll just have to make do with Shogun 2 and Battlefleet Gothic for the time being.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
u get all the factions for free when you pirate

CA are using Denuvo DRM, which at the present time has proven notoriously difficult and tedious for scene groups to crack. As of two months three days ago:

931363c3c4.png

I haven't pirated a game in years myself because generally speaking, if I feel compelled to pirate a game rather than purchase it legitimately, then on principle if nothing else I'd rather not have anything to do with the game at all. Fortunately, the vast majority of games with obnoxious DRM and DLC schemes are shit in the first place.

Unfortunately, the time when we can blithely say, "Welp, I'll just pirate it" might be coming to an end.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
CA and Focus only made that small concession after people complained vehemently about Chaos Warriors being exclusive pre-order incentives. The offer applies only to Chaos Warriors specifically, as far as I've gleaned, but I don't know if that means that all of Chaos except Chaos Warriors will be playable without the DLC, or if Chaos is totally unplayable without them. Chaos is a core part of the single-player campaign regardless of which race you're playing.

Either way, it's a shitty move, holding core content that's already been developed hostage and reserving it only for early adopters, or for a fee at a later date. The "buy our shit now or we'll rip a bunch of stuff out of the game and charge you for it later" revenue model marches ever onward.

And even after that concession, the lead developers cried about how surprised they felt that people reacted like that and made up a bunch of bullshit excuses like saying preorders gave them the resources to develop the DLC and that it's not cut content, but content that couldn't make it into the base game. Like bitch, if it's available for use on release day then it could have made it into the base game and it's cut content.

The thing is, though, this is CA so I fully expected them to pull a move like this, but with Chaos? Any other faction (other than maybe Empire) and sure, I wouldn't have been surprised. But holding back Chaos, of all races?

varangos

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck
And even after that concession, the lead developers cried about how surprised they felt that people reacted like that and made up a bunch of bullshit excuses like saying preorders gave them the resources to develop the DLC and that it's not cut content, but content that couldn't make it into the base game. Like bitch, if it's available for use on release day then it could have made it into the base game and it's cut content.

The thing is, though, this is CA so I fully expected them to pull a move like this, but with Chaos? Any other faction (other than maybe Empire) and sure, I wouldn't have been surprised. But holding back Chaos, of all races?

of course they would find excuses,though i doubt the "fans" would stop buying their games if they came out and said clearly "yes our company policy is dlc milking,i mean thats that we are doing the past 7 years".

and so we come to the bigger question,whos to blaim the companies or the gaymers who buy day1/dlcs/preorder?
what message you think you give when you preorder?or you buy day 1?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
but now the chaos are free, so CA in the end are good guys, amirite? :troll:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Unfortunately, the time when we can blithely say, "Welp, I'll just pirate it" might be coming to an end.

Nowadays it's "welp, I'll get it for $0.01 on humble bundle in a year" or "welp, I'll fire up the VPN and get a russian key from a reseller for $2".

In the case of SEGA games, it's humble bundle with all DLC in about 9 months for a beat the average of $4.50. All money going to charity.

varangos

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck
Blaine said:
hivemind said:
Nowadays it's "welp, I'll get it for $0.01 on humble bundle in a year" or "welp, I'll fire up the VPN and get a russian key from a reseller for $2".

the only language CA,sega and all the companies speak is this $ language,buying the game for 0.001$ is the same as buying it for 50$,the message is the same,you liked the game/agreed with the dlc milking and your only problem was the price.
you dont like what a company does?completely ignore their products.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Yes and no. They base the vast majority of their revenue model on pushing pre-orders and early post-release sales. Pre-orders and shill reviews help to shield publishers from huge financial losses by enticing suckers into giving them money before anyone reputable can properly find out whether or not the game's shit. If reputable reviewers declare the game to be shit before they've sold even one copy, they'd lose many millions of $; and rightly so, although games with mocap, cutting-edge graphics, and voice acting represent much greater potential losses than the VGA affairs of decades past.

As for whose fault it is, it's completely the fault of gamers for allowing it. Businesses gonna business, no matter what; they'll push it as far as they're allowed. However, most of those gamers are relative newcomers who started playing PC games between a decade ago and the present date. The old guard of PC gaming was vehemently opposed to this kind of shit... but even they can get hyped and impatient, as we well know.

Buying a game in a bundle two years after release with all the DLC doesn't encourage pre-order pushing and so on, but it still does support the developer, the publisher, and the industry. It's the smartest move unless you want to swear off nearly all non-indie games (and many indie games, too).

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013

The problem is a lot of companies are starting to restrict the languages of games by region, and not all games have the option or workarounds to change the language to english. I bought Russian BF3 and I was always dependent on the latest hacks working. I think there was a period of 3 months once where I was stuck playing Russian because an update broke my english hack and nobody had a solution for some time.

Or worse, region-locking their games, which isn't a problem for SP, but becomes a massive issue when you have to use a VPN to play multiplayer.

Seethe

Arbiter
u get all the factions for free when you pirate

That's just adorable. Piracy of anything will never end, EVER. It's only a matter of time. Then the fanboys can no longer foam at the mouth whenever someone plays the game without getting scammed, like they did. I planned to buy the game before that chaos bullshit. I definitely won't now, idgaf even if they give chaos for free, and they still don't because they give it for free only for a limited amount of time.

Piracy is the only way this thing will touch my pc, and even then I'll probably be disappointed.

Last edited:

varangos

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck
Paradox has a great army of fans,who think that consumer rights are something related to communism,paradox managed to survive and thrive because of people supporting its dlc milking techniques.

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
who think that consumer rights are something related to communism

It's not so much that but the fact that they see Paradox as the 'good guys', so when they milk their consumers more than EA and throw a few crumbs *for free* it becomes magically legitimate.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
That's just adorable. Piracy of anything will never end, EVER.

We'll see. It's easy to sit back and pronounce that a crack is guaranteed eventually based on how things have always been, yet Denuvo is a singular disruption in the history of computer game piracy. Two years ago, no one (myself least of all) would have believed that it was possible for DRM to delay cracks for weeks, let alone months. Hell, cracks used to regularly appear before the actual games were even released.

Part of the allure for cracking groups has always been to release cracks quickly and to race other groups for the prestige of being first. If a game's been released for months—by which time the hype will have died down to room temperature, and 90% of people will have stopped giving a shit about it—a good portion of the allure just isn't there anymore.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
That's just adorable. Piracy of anything will never end, EVER. It's only a matter of time.

Even Denuvo said that it's not uncrackable, but only protects the game long enough for it to no longer matter. Of course it's going to be cracked eventually, but Denuvo is a team consisting of ex-scene crackers. Every time someone cracks Denuvo, they change the DRM and we go back to square one.

Right now scene groups are stumped. They haven't been able to crack games released in December 2015. If it's going to take this long for every Denuvo game, piracy is going to take a massive knock. People are already starting to buy games they can't pirate.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Consumer impatience is also a huge factor, yeah.

The Chinese, Russians et al. are somewhat different from Westerners. A large proportion of them won't buy a game at all if they can't get it for free, region-based pricing notwithstanding. (This continues to mystify me given that they're able to afford gaming rigs to begin with, but perhaps that single expenditure takes nearly all the wind out of their sails.)

That said, saving Easterners money isn't what motivates cracking groups, no matter what their nationalities. If the process of cracking becomes time-consuming and arduous with little reward in prestige, they'll stop doing it... and even if they don't, it won't matter much to publishers.

Then again, who knows? Maybe some software tool/hardware setup will be developed that can smash through Denuvo much more quickly than whatever conventional and/or experimental methods they're currently trying.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom