Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Total War game: Warhammer

hivemind

legit tho missing animations sound terrible as fuck

one of the most comfy things I like to do in previous TW games is to zoom in on the action and see the little guys fight it out

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Reloading animations are pretty much the only thing "missing"; the guy's essentially padding out his pet peeve with the implication of a variety of missing animations so that it looks like a legitimate negative.

LITERALLY UNPLAYABLE

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...er-is-the-fastest-selling-total-war-game-ever

Total War: Warhammer is the fastest-selling Total War game ever

Strategy game Total War: Warhammer, which is still not called Total Warhammer, is the fastest-selling Total War game ever.

It sold over half a million copies in the first few days on sale, developer Creative Assembly said.

That sales success has resulted in the game regularly topping 100,000 concurrent players on Steam, the developer added.

Total War: Warhammer launched in a much more stable state than some previous entries in the series, something Eurogamer strategy king Chris Bratt noted in his performance video, below.

"The team paid particular attention to stability and performance throughout the game's development and thoroughly enjoyed creating new ways to play Total War within Games Workshop's stunning Warhammer Fantasy world," commented studio director Tim Heaton.

"We're very proud of it, and it's wonderful to see the game receiving such a great reception from critics, Total War veterans and new players alike."

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The game is fun, that's what I can say so far. Streamlined sure, but the setting is just awesome. TW needed a fantasy entry and it's done well.
Also the AI is not completely retarded as far as I can tell and the heroes/flying units/units with special abilities make battles more dynamic.
Fun stuff.

rvm1975

Educated
The game is fun, that's what I can say so far. Streamlined sure, but the setting is just awesome. TW needed a fantasy entry and it's done well.
Also the AI is not completely retarded as far as I can tell and the heroes/flying units/units with special abilities make battles more dynamic.
Fun stuff.

I do agree.

Played Attila saxon's campaign and completely lost interest.

Here I am enjoying the Warhammer universe.

ps
badly want permanent hero kill mod, killed Franz 6 times :)

hivemind

I wonder if GW is kicking themselves over the head for killing Warhammer Fantasy right before releasing a big budget PC game set in the same setting

Martius

Liturgist
I would say it was other way around. They probably thought that something like that might interfere with WFB miniature sales but they already were preparing for Age of Sigmar.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Why i cannot cast spells in battle with my battle wizard even though he got fireball and some other spell ?

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
WFB always struck me as the dorky little brother of 40k. It's like a step above generic D&D, but a step below the wild absurdity of 40k (also, for me, sci-fi > fantasy). I'm enjoying WFB in the context of TW, though.

I sure would love a 40k TW with some Tyranid action, maybe provinces become planets with several major settlements, etc. They've already got flying and tank-like units covered, shouldn't be too challenging to do with the TW formula. Sure, they'd no doubt release Space Marine chapters as paid reskins/palette swaps, but fuck it.

Something else Total Warhammer is missing are actual trade routes, where you can see merchants walking back and forth, but to be fair that's not exactly a necessity for a Warhammer game. I'm personally glad that the naval combat is gone because of the insufferable tendency of the AI to spam a hundred little canoes and other nonsense that made it not-fun.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
one is for fantasy one is for space dorks.

you all loose money in the end

kris

Arcane
I blame the AI. That's just how I roll.

In all seriousness, the battles feel more challenging to me than many of the more recent Total Wars (didn't play atilla so can't comment on that). You actually have to concentrate on army composition and make use of every advantage you get. And things can go bad in a second if you're not paying enough attention.

In other Total War games I could just assemble any army I felt like and chances were I could fuck the enemy up without too much strategic thought.

you do have a point about blaming the AI because the games difficult seems to be strongly based on how different factions do. I played the dwarfs first with normal and it was piss easy and I quit. Then I went to very hard and I came nowhere, being forced to defeat stronger armies while having no income until I met a waagh that I wouldn't be able to defeat. But while difficult rating do a clear difference, the biggest difference between those games was how well the other dwarf clans did. So I just tonight tried it on hard as you play and it has again been piss easy. Why? All the dwarfs to the north and west have done really well which gave me just one easy front of infighting Orcs.

Playing Orcs I was not in luck, dwarfs came at me with 4 full stacks, I can't face that even with my waagh!

kris

Arcane
Have anyone met late tier units in battles so far (outside scripted quest battles)?

I suspect that the constant sacking, razing and burning stop the AI from reaching late tier units.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Have anyone met late tier units in battles so far (outside scripted quest battles)?

Nope, but then I've only hit turn 90 as Dorfs. It may well be that I've met some pretty high-tier Ork units (I've seen some beefy fucking stats on unit cards occasionally), but frankly, I've misbehaved and not paid much attention to the particulars other than a brief glance at unit card and battlefield role (armoured, armour-piercing, cavalry, etc.). I'm having too much fun to sit around and RTFM for extended periods of time.

And I can't play this weekend, since my sister whined at me to drive up and visit for Memorial Day weekend. Seeing family takes sizable priority over games, don't get me wrong, but like clockwork I have to go spend a weekend or holiday with family, friends, or some other bullshit no more than two days after the release of any game I really enjoy.

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
Only from Vampire Counts after turn ~80 but wasn't really checking other factions. Not including the "northerners" since they're a bit weird. That said, I barely had any myself, which of course was a massive problem against the Chaos shitstorm.

Aside from that, managed to complete my Empire campaign. Insane fights to clean things up North at the end. I fucked up my building/army comps again but got lucky, as my Vampire Counts vassal pretty much cleaned up after my defeats, allowing me some breathing room. Grabbing all the land from the southern area to the northern sea and Kislev and east to the Vampire counts opened me up way more than I could manage when the shit hit the fan and I didn't know about it. Good fun overall though, no movie though, bit lackluster, but quickly forgotten as I immediately clicked...

...New campaign with the orks. Great fun as well. These guys are just crazy and public order is a bitch with them. Waaagh are just insane though.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
46b1dc31fd.png

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
WFB always struck me as the dorky little brother of 40k. It's like a step above generic D&D, but a step below the wild absurdity of 40k (also, for me, sci-fi > fantasy). I'm enjoying WFB in the context of TW, though.

I sure would love a 40k TW with some Tyranid action, maybe provinces become planets with several major settlements, etc. They've already got flying and tank-like units covered, shouldn't be too challenging to do with the TW formula. Sure, they'd no doubt release Space Marine chapters as paid reskins/palette swaps, but fuck it.

Something else Total Warhammer is missing are actual trade routes, where you can see merchants walking back and forth, but to be fair that's not exactly a necessity for a Warhammer game. I'm personally glad that the naval combat is gone because of the insufferable tendency of the AI to spam a hundred little canoes and other nonsense that made it not-fun.
NTW : WW1 mod already has tanks, and 40K plays pretty close to WW1 (large human waves, similar warmachines and ranges), with a touch of WW2 paratroopers, so it should be doable indeed.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Scratch the part about planets, though. Well, perhaps a handful of planets with a handful of provinces each, which, in essence, would be somewhat similar to Shogun 2. Don't want to de-emphasize field battles too much.

I really wouldn't want to see more emphasis on naval action, unless they really manage to improve it. If CA were to improve it, I could see ship-to-ship boarding actions (playing out similarly to sieges) between planets being interesting, with open-field action and sieges on planets.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Holy fuck I hate half stacks who outrun your armies and proceed to raid or siege your provinces if you don't chase them. I'm playing Empire and I keep expecting the Benny Hill theme to start playing. It makes sense that they can outrun me, but it doesn't make it any less annoying.

Playing Empire on Hard has made me realise just how incredibly difficult Dwarves really are. I took all the Empire provinces except for Midland by turn 80. By turn 80 with the dwarves I was desperately trying to survive. I'm earning like 10k a turn too.

Also, I hope someone releases a mod that removes the Chaos threat and buffs all the other races or at least pushes it back until very late into the game. I got Chaos invasions by turn 67 and I was actually just about to start waging war on the undead. It feels like everything you do up until turn 80 is a rush to desperately prepare for the inevitable Chaos hordes.

WFB always struck me as the dorky little brother of 40k.
Back when GW were busy ripping off half the contents of 2000AD magazine and Frank Herbert's Dune, and somehow getting away with it, to create Grimdarky McGrim Fantasy IN SPAAAAACE, the mainline Warhammer universe was actually developing into a more nuanced setting. The world presented in Total War: Warhammer is build on the corpse of a far more interesting setting where Karl Franz was not in fact a young warrior mounted on a Griffin flying around hitting shit but rather an elderly and rather dull man who was only appointed Emperor by the Elector Counts because he was easy to manipulate. The contrast between the two Karls illustrates the difference between a GW that was genuinely interested in developing an RPG setting and the later incarnation of GW that was solely interested in selling vastly overpriced miniatures.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Holy fuck I hate half stacks who outrun your armies and proceed to raid or siege your provinces if you don't chase them. I'm playing Empire and I keep expecting the Benny Hill theme to start playing. It makes sense that they can outrun me, but it doesn't make it any less annoying.

Playing Empire on Hard has made me realise just how incredibly difficult Dwarves really are. I took all the Empire provinces except for Midland by turn 80. By turn 80 with the dwarves I was desperately trying to survive. I'm earning like 10k a turn too.

Also, I hope someone releases a mod that removes the Chaos threat and buffs all the other races or at least pushes it back until very late into the game. I got Chaos invasions by turn 67 and I was actually just about to start waging war on the undead. It feels like everything you do up until turn 80 is a rush to desperately prepare for the inevitable Chaos hordes.

I've had the same experience. When the tin says that the initial difficulty is easy playing as Dwarfs, they really do mean THE INITIAL DIFFICULTY. Dwarves are excellent defenders and siegers with high-quality troops, yes, and they have an easy time of it when engaging in diplomacy with other Dwarf factions. That's a massive boon both early on and throughout much of the game, but it tapers off later.

Here's a tip for Dwarf players: DO NOT leave your mountains, under any circumstances. Raze the badlands and southern settlements to the ground and salt the earth before you leave. Smash the Vampires' swamps into paste, taking perhaps one or two settlements very close to the mountains, if desired. In the mountain passes, enemy armies (except Greenskins) are slowed hugely, whereas you can casually use the Underways to move about (comparatively) quickly. Also, the mountains are far less open than other territories, meaning you can catch an army between two stacks fairly easily.

Even if you don't overextend too quickly and take your time expanding, you simply cannot control half the map without needing 50% more doomstacks than other races to defend the same amount of territory. It's the pits.

Stay in the mountains. It's for the best, believe me.

Back when GW were busy ripping off half the contents of 2000AD magazine and Frank Herbert's Dune, and somehow getting away with it, to create Grimdarky McGrim Fantasy IN SPAAAAACE, the mainline Warhammer universe was actually developing into a more nuanced setting. The world presented in Total War: Warhammer is build on the corpse of a far more interesting setting where Karl Franz was not in fact a young warrior mounted on a Griffin flying around hitting shit but rather an elderly and rather dull man who was only appointed Emperor by the Elector Counts because he was easy to manipulate. The contrast between the two Karls illustrates the difference between a GW that was genuinely interested in developing an RPG setting and the later incarnation of GW that was solely interested in selling vastly overpriced miniatures.

Everyone knows that GW are shameless, greedy plagiarists, but what alternative do we have? Tabletop gaming isn't exactly burgeoning. They'll never have any competition because entering the industry at this point is a fool's business.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom