Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Total War game: Warhammer

Taskityo

Educated
Regarding sieges in M2 and Rome, the AI basically never did multiple side assaults in those games. Only exception when it had reinforcing stacks and those stacks had siege artillery. Otherwise they would just run around to join the main force.

So how can it be possible, in my current ongoing RTW save (Vanilla fully patched), AI have attacked from multiple sides with their largest single stacks? Am I, like, in a different reality than other people? I don't think I've not ever had a boring Siege yet in CA's older titles.

The empire management has always been pretty shallow in TW games, they just removed most of the bloat that the series have never really needed. I wouldn't mind them removing the campaign map in its entirety and just focus on making a series of good and interesting battles, something like Shadow of the horned rat or Dark omen would be really neat. Ideal would be if they returned to Shogun/Medieval style gameboard style map instead of the 3D monstrosity but that's not likely to happen.

So basically -> Total War <Time/Place/Setting/IP>: Streamlined Squared 2

Anywho, I think I'll pass on TW:W still. It'd be nice if a demo is released later though.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
A game with the sophistication of a Paradox-, SMAC-, or MoO-style "campaign map" and mechanics, and TW's sophistication of battle mechanics with complex player army control (or, say, Star Sector's or Homeworld's fleet control) would be great.

It hasn't happened yet and I don't expect it ever will. We all want the perfect strategy game.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Hell, who knows. Maybe mods can give us something close to that. They never have in the past, but there has been a definite increase in mainstream interest in complex 4X games like CK2. Expanded diplomacy options would be a great start.

Also, I bet we'll see the first 40k mod before the end of June.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
So. I've restarted my Vampire counts campaign. I spent way to much time trying use vampiric corruption to get an uprising on the moot that the Empire confederated almost all the northern human territories. Leaving me with nothing but the boarder princes to the south to pick off. Since restarting I've reformed Sylvania and started building a third army since the only way I can think of surviving the inevitable confederation is to rush grab Stirland as fast as possible. As well as carving up the lands to the north.

Also. Any tactics to deal with the agents that are to high level to kill? I was getting 2 or 3 sitting in my territories with so way of dealing with them outside of a lucky assassination.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
The higher the level of a hero, the harder it is to kill. I think each level of the target equates to around -1% to assassination success odds; the chance to succeed starts at around 30%, or just north of 30%. I'm not sure if a higher-level hero receives bonuses to their odds of assassination success.

The documentation of this game is sorely lacking when it comes to the more obscure details and mechanics. For the moment, the official Wiki is utter shit, the fan Wikia is shit, and the Game Guide's explanations of game mechanics are nowhere near as extensive as they were in, say, Shogun 2. The entire "Game Guide" can be found here: http://whenc.totalwar.com/#/ Try to figure out which heroes, if any, are better at assassinations than others. I haven't been able to so far.

Since there seems to be no equivalent of metsuke in Total Warhammer, someone needs to make a mod that adds, at a minimum, a flat +20% to the odds of your heroes assassinating enemy heroes in your own territory, and vice versa for your heroes in someone else's territory.

It's one thing for 3,452,534 enemy agents to fag along behind two of your doomstacks being gay little fucking faggot pieces of God damned shit turn after turn after turn, but in your own provinces, you should have more options.

I strongly suspect that the perception that enemy agents target the player specifically to the exclusion of other factions, that there are too many of them, and that it's too hard to kill them is a combination of confirmation bias and also the fact that the player will likely be the strongest faction by midgame, ergo why agents would target you over other factions. But it's very annoying regardless.

Inf0mercial

Augur
Blaine

I thought you were exaggerating about how slow the Dwarfs are you weren't holy shit, they can barely move their stubby little legs unless they go underground and then they can't attack.

:negative:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
If anything, I was showing great restraint in describing how slow they are.

Heed my warning: Don't try to expand your territory past the mountains. You might not lose the game if you do, but your suffering will be so great that you'll wish for death.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So in short, is Total Warwar Hammer as shit or less shit than Rome 2: Electric Boogaloo?

mutonizer

Arcane
Patron
So in short, is Total Warwar Hammer as shit or less shit than Rome 2: Electric Boogaloo?

Purely as an unmodded product, much much better. Stable, no obvious issues, good enough polish and not only very playable but quite simply fun. Doesn't mean it's a "perfect product" but it's one of the best released TW for years.
Overall, if you were "into" Warhammer Battle at any point, kinda like Total War games and got a decent enough computer to run it proper, it's a 100% must buy.
If you don't give a shit about Warhammer, I'd make sure to check videos and shit before buying, or just wait for a sale at some point, or dont' even bother.

I'm really itching to buy this, but the last TW game I actually sunk some decent time into was Shogun 1 at release. I've played a bit of Shogun 2 and it seemed pretty good but the campaign map bores me to tears.

I'm trying to tell myself that it's better to wait for some DLCs to come out and some discounts and maybe the inevitable GOTY edition but damn, it's hard.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I'm not sure why, but the campaign map doesn't feel as 'long' as other TW games. I think it's the fact that you can't take all the settlements on the map and the fact that the game seems geared more towards surviving chaos and other threats than it is towards conquest.

If you don't give a shit about Warhammer, I'd make sure to check videos and shit before buying, or just wait for a sale at some point, or dont' even bother.

I'll say that even if you don't give a shit about Warhammer, it's probably not a bad thing. I'm one of those dorks who prefers 40K, so I never really cared for or touched Fantasy, but I'm really enjoying this setting. If you're looking for a fantasy TW this is probably as good as it's going to get for the foreseeable future. It's a pity I heard they want to make a trilogy of this instead of expanding on the base game.

I started with fantasy but soon moved on 40k. Problem is Fantasy was already dead by then and had so much untapped potential (like Cathay and a bunch of other guys) that it felt sort of half-finished and up in the air.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Hah, reading the older Warhammer Fantasy stuff is fun. Mentions of half-orcs, pictures of spelljammer-like flying ships and Brettonians using canons. Then again, earlier 40K stuff was also very much different from what we got now.

Truth is, both settings started out as what a bunch of wierd British headbangers thought was cool. Then got retconned time and time again while said headbangers left and got replaced with corporate drones. Hence what we got now.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
Hah, reading the older Warhammer Fantasy stuff is fun. Mentions of half-orcs, pictures of spelljammer-like flying ships and Brettonians using canons. Then again, earlier 40K stuff was also very much different from what we got now.

Truth is, both settings started out as what a bunch of wierd British headbangers thought was cool. Then got retconned time and time again while said headbangers left and got replaced with corporate drones. Hence what we got now.

Yeah, I'm really getting that corporate feeling from the 40k books. I started with the Horus Heresy series a few months ago and the initial books were really fun to read. And then the books started getting really weird and felt like filler fluff and lo and behold, I look it up online and find out that in 30+ books they still haven't written the end to the Horus Heresy. Pretty much put me off continuing with the books.

Mortmal

Arcane
Also, I hope someone releases a mod that removes the Chaos threat and buffs all the other races or at least pushes it back until very late into the game. I got Chaos invasions by turn 67 and I was actually just about to start waging war on the undead. It feels like everything you do up until turn 80 is a rush to desperately prepare for the inevitable Chaos hordes.
Its similar to the roman campaign in attila, you have so many foes you need to consolidate some provinces and let burn the others. Same thing happens in the belisarius DLC campaign, first the nomad invasion, then the longbeard .Its a good thing they add some challenge to their games unlike a boring map painting simulator like stellaris.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I see people are already making mods to improve the way units behave in a fight by not maintaining ranks, so hopefully someone can mod the godawful script that causes blobbing. It would be amazing if units attacked the closest enemy instead of running halfway across the map to what the game considers the 'middle' of a fleeing enemy unit.

Lone Wolf

Arcane
Vatnik
Zewp

That mod already exists. Check the workshop for 'Chaos Please Wait', which alters the Chaos invasion scripts. There's also an even more delayed version (from the same author).

There's also a mod that removes character assassinations (for AI), so that your lords aren't getting whacked by almost unstoppable assassins every second turn.

Inf0mercial

Augur
Once again if your in a siege battle and the enemy outnumbers you simply deploying in the center of your base in the town square is your best bet, leave ranged units on walls to inflict what casualties they can then retreat them back as the wall falls, in the center you have max 3 entries that you can block off and your in the city center so all your units will be unbreakable and fight till the death, it also lets you use catapult and archers smash the enemy as they bunch up to attack.

I still fondly remember in Medieval 2 playing as Venice and using 4 pults and 4 heavy infantry to defend my towns, nothing can quite break through that moral shock of a catapult mulching forty units in a with fire shots.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
I started another Dwarf campaign and hot damn this time it is easy. You can fuck the Greenskins over real good with war targets. I immediately allied with the Barak Varr and the Zhufbar and set battle targets on Greenskin cities and stacks and they just proceeded to completely fuck the Greenskins up. I stopped paying attention after a while and waged a campaign on the VC. When I went back to the Badlands to satisfy some grudges I realised that I never removed the target from Grimgor Ironhide, so the poor little shit was running around with stacks of dwarfs chasing him and the Greenskins only had one settlement - Black Crag and the Red Fangs are actually more powerful than them. Usually by turn 80 the Greenskins have absorbed all the other clans and are rated no 1 empire, but now they're no 28.

I felt bad so I cleared all targets and will leave them to recover a bit. My main problem now is that Zhufbar is ridiculously powerful so I'm not sure how I'm going to take the rest of the mountains from them.

Inf0mercial

Augur
I started another Dwarf campaign and hot damn this time it is easy. You can fuck the Greenskins over real good with war targets. I immediately allied with the Barak Varr and the Zhufbar and set battle targets on Greenskin cities and stacks and they just proceeded to completely fuck the Greenskins up. I stopped paying attention after a while and waged a campaign on the VC. When I went back to the Badlands to satisfy some grudges I realised that I never removed the target from Grimgor Ironhide, so the poor little shit was running around with stacks of dwarfs chasing him and the Greenskins only had one settlement - Black Crag and the Red Fangs are actually more powerful than them. Usually by turn 80 the Greenskins have absorbed all the other clans and are rated no 1 empire, but now they're no 28.

I feel now bad I cleared all targets and will leave them to recover a bit. My main problem now is that Zhufbar is ridiculously powerful so I'm not sure how I'm going to take the rest of the mountains from them.

?? I feel like i missed out on a lot i took out Grimgor by turn 35 or 40.

I was advancing down to grab the border mountains then he jumped out of nowhere with 4 full stacks, fucking traumatizing but as all good dwarfs i went to ground in a capital near his armies broke his siege but failed to kill him but with a small reserve army of like 6 guys i managed to travel underground and get him to intercept with his all but destroyed force then i head capped him, then the fucker respawned in his capital.

But meh by that stage money was pouring in so i broke his other stacks then went on a killing so far i own everything up to Dringor cept other dwarf holds, he has like 2 tiny settlements left in the bad lands directly near my capital so crushing them with an army near them then he should be dead.

I'll be honest bit of a let down hopefully Chaos is a bigger problem, he gave me like 5 full stack fights though so all good. This is turn 50, Barak Varr is at war with Averland right now i am just ignoring that my towns are all pretty fortified.
3baddf7732.jpg

Hoodoo

It gets passed around.
Dumbfuck
So, I played this shit. Just as I thought the AI is dumbshit. It cannot even hold a proper formation anymore, so there's not even the challenge of breaking a well entrenched army. I can't lose a single battle even when not paying attention at all.

AI can't deal fighting against large creatures and heroes either. You can win a battle just with these guys. Campaign AI is non existent, just pick Chaos and raze everything, that's the only meaningful interaction you can have with the other factions.

Melee combat is super fast, battles last about 10 to 15 minutes, units move at lightspeed. So the same twitchy philosophy since Empire. I made sure I played less than 2 hours, asking for a refund now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom