Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Vegas is about cloth!

Destroid

Arcane
I did this in morrowind when I had my nord wearing dwarven boots, he looked quite funny because they were so huge and chunky compared to the rest of the armour.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I don't want to just say that I really enjoyed it, because that feels like I'm just kissing ass: "It was a wonderful experience!" But I am not a guy who was caught up in the notion that Fallout had to be an isometric, turn-based experience. To me, Fallout was always just the feeling of the world.

r00fles!

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I hope they take note of the custom houses that the mods bring. Players (or at least, players like myself) want a place where they can take stuff with personal meaning to them and put it on display.

I'll give you an example. I use a gun 1/2 through my entire playthrough, and I am very attached to that gun. Or maybe it's outfit that I wore. In either case, eventually I'm going to find something better. In vanilla Fallout 3, I had a dresser FULL of old guns and another dresser packed with old outfits or unique items. I never get to see them... they're just lines of text in a box. There's this sentimentality about these items where shoving them in a drawer (or worse, selling them) that makes it just sad. Meanwhile, mods bring these houses with display cases and mannequins and it's just shows my evolution as a player when I'm strolling through between missions and I see my old gear. It's nice.

Of course, there's a lot of other things, (one house has an inground swimming pool! yay) but that seemed to resonate with me for some reason.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Jaesun said:
I hope they take note of the custom houses that the mods bring. Players (or at least, players like myself) want a place where they can take stuff with personal meaning to them and put it on display.

I'll give you an example. I use a gun 1/2 through my entire playthrough, and I am very attached to that gun. Or maybe it's outfit that I wore. In either case, eventually I'm going to find something better. In vanilla Fallout 3, I had a dresser FULL of old guns and another dresser packed with old outfits or unique items. I never get to see them... they're just lines of text in a box. There's this sentimentality about these items where shoving them in a drawer (or worse, selling them) that makes it just sad. Meanwhile, mods bring these houses with display cases and mannequins and it's just shows my evolution as a player when I'm strolling through between missions and I see my old gear. It's nice.

Of course, there's a lot of other things, (one house has an inground swimming pool! yay) but that seemed to resonate with me for some reason.

WTF?

:retarded:

Raapys

Arcane
Still, no game beats Daggerfall in the whole 'dressing-up-your-character' area.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Cloaked Figure said:
Jaesun said:
I don't want to just say that I really enjoyed it, because that feels like I'm just kissing ass: "It was a wonderful experience!" But I am not a guy who was caught up in the notion that Fallout had to be an isometric, turn-based experience. To me, Fallout was always just the feeling of the world.

r00fles!

Do you disagree? Or does just typing "r00fles!" somehow negate the need to make an actual argument?

it's r00fles! Because NO developer working with Bethesda who is publishing their game is going to answer that honestly (why do idiot fucking Professional Games Journalists™ even ask this fucking stupid question).

At least Tim Cain had the balls to at least say a few things about Fallout 3 when asked this question, though you had to pay very close attention to his answers.

CrimHead

Scholar
FeelTheRads said:
Jaesun said:

WTF?

:retarded:

Nigga be hardcore trolling.

hanssolo

Educated
Awor Szurkrarz said:
We need a :distaste: smiley.

2zfnzw4.png

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Raapys said:
Still, no game beats Daggerfall in the whole 'dressing-up-your-character' area.

Yeah, Morrowind came close but since Oblivion they dumbed down even that aspect of the TES games.
Also Daggerfall was the only game where you could actually run around stark naked without having to install any mods.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
JarlFrank said:
Yeah, Morrowind came close but since Oblivion they dumbed down even that aspect of the TES games.

Can thank the consoles for that too no doubt. :x

Morrowind's item-slot setup would've been great for OB and FO3 if it weren't for the xboxfags with their low-resolution UIs and inferior gamepads.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They said it was for "balancing". Since people could get too powerful with fully enchanted clothing + armor + robe, they just removed the ability to wear clothing and armor and robes at the same time and called it "balancing", instead of actually, well... balancing enchanting. In order to "balance" it even more, they also removed the enchantment skill and made it mages-guild exclusive.

What it really means: they were too lazy to include the enchanting skill and to properly make clothing and armor display together, so they just scrapped both features and claimed that it would be "better" for the "gameplay", because single player RPGs are all about item balance.

Suchy

Arcane
Did you ever play Sam & Max Hit the Road? LucasArts developed it in 1993.

FU: I did not.

The reason I ask is because its structure was a big road trip through chintzy, forgotten Americana. Very few games are directly influenced by those weird, backwoods American roadside attractions. Sam & Max Hit the Road was all about that, and Fallout: New Vegas is one of the only other games I've seen that also has that vibe.

FU: Yeah, exactly. It's funny that you should say that, because one of the things that we really did early on was make sure we were thinking about things like how people got around the world in DC versus how they got around the world in Vegas. DC has lots of highways, but it's more compact. It's got a lot of little two-lane highways. It was more about just going across the wasteland to get from place to place.

When we were looking for the Vegas wasteland, we were thinking, "Okay. We need to look at it from the standpoint of these really big freeways." And that's how we ended up structuring it.

This actually sounds good. The wasteland is supposed to be the damn wasteland, not a tiny sandbox where settlements are located a few hundred meters from each other and yet stay unknown one to another.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom