Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Vegas Live Stream

zeitgeist

Magister
Seems like the same game so far, down to the exact same minigames, with very minor additions that were explored to a much greater extent in various F3 mods. Hardly surprising.

The chat comments are amusingly horrifying though. The stream is worth watching just for those.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
TheLostOne said:
Edit: The jackass decided to go with a 1 CHA so I imagine this will be a more combat oriented playthrough.

:thumbsup:

In hardcore mode the companions die permanently, and other than that CHA affects only some lame skills like barter so why not.

commie

The Last Marxist
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Turisas said:
TheLostOne said:
Edit: The jackass decided to go with a 1 CHA so I imagine this will be a more combat oriented playthrough.

:thumbsup:

In hardcore mode the companions die permanently, and other than that CHA affects only some lame skills like barter so why not.

Ahh, those were the days when companions would die permanently! None of this 'stay unconscious until after the battle, then wake up like nothings happened' crap that Biofag created just to make sure everyone could still enjoy buttsex with their their favourite Elf or Alien.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
bitbasher: It's like an explansion that doesn;t involve the original game locations at all then.

benzi2k7: I just think of it like Fallout 1 -> 2, graphics not really improved, reused assets but a great new story and characters. worth it for me. aslong as the writing is better.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
Sorry, brain was stuck in ME2 mode.

Still, incline, especially combined with the other previously standard gameplay elements that should belong in any post-apoc game that are (re-)introduced with hardcore mode.

You poor guys have been wallowing in the decline for so long you've given up.

Micmu

Magister
What does their "hardcode" mode mean anyway?
You die, savegames/character gets deleted, roguelike style or merely the hardest difficulty setting (damage vs. defense)? Now I'd like to see a consoletard play that. Unless the combat is effortless popamole, of course.

hoochimama

Liturgist
hardcore mode = survival/larp mode: you have to drink, eat, sleep and poop, it is separate from combat difficulty. Most food and water sources are irradiated so managing your radiation level becomes a gameplay element, using appropriate magazines on the can gives you a boost that allows you to go without it for up to 4 days.

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I think it'll simply elevate the significance and pleasure of exploring in the game by injecting meaning. No more 150+ stimpaks in your inventory, no more 20+ weapons of all varieties, no more killing everything in your sleep.

Keep on the lookout for unradiated food and water. Watch your ammo. Pay more attention to stealth. Find a safe place to rest. Keep your companions alive.

You know, like an actual entertaining game.

zeitgeist

Magister
micmu said:
What does their "hardcode" mode mean anyway?
some guy on the Escapist forum said:
To my thanks, Fallout: New Vegas has a Hardcore Mode. This means that ammo has weight, so it must be conserved and used efficiently. Stimpacks take time to heal you, so simply having a bunch isn't enough to make you last in a fight. Crippled limbs can only be healed by a doctor or an item called a
Doctor's Bag. And finally, the player must eat, drink, and sleep.
Haven't noticed anything else except the listed features in the stream playthrough yet (he was dehydrated once), I didn't even see the streamer sleep but I might have missed it. He's playing on very hard, and with hardcore mode on.

Micmu

Magister
Heh, was expecting something bullshit like that.
So this "hardcode" is just how they called the hardest difficulty setting (which was considered EASY-NORMAL a decade ago) yet OMG it is HARDCORE now, baby. Now that does sound cool!

King Crispy

Too bad I have no queen.
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In
I don't give a flying fuck what they call it, as long as it helps to make it a good game. You're also forgetting the mass gaming contingent these guys have to sell to now.

If it still sucks depite that, it'll still suck. You won't find me blindly defending the game afterwords if so.

zeitgeist

Magister
micmu said:
Heh, was expecting something bullshit like that.
So this "hardcode" is just how they called the hardest difficulty setting (which was considered EASY-NORMAL a decade ago) yet OMG it is HARDCORE now, baby. Now that does sound cool!
It's separate from the difficulty setting, it just adds the eating/sleeping/etc features. It appears that the actual difficulty setting just changes the HP/damage numbers and such - enemies seem to take quite an amount of headshots at point blank range to die at the difficulty the streamer is playing on (very hard), for example.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom