Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Vegas mods

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The other mod is upping tag skill bonus from 15 to 25 though I still get only 15. Not sure how to find what causes that problem.
I would start from MO, and check if this mod is being partially overwritten by something

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
The soft limit for mods in FNV is 140. If someone is having errors underneath this amount, it's because they're inexperienced and have conflicting mods and load issue errors. They might also have either out of date dependencies, or outright lack them entirely. Also, it probably doesn't help if you have an extremely old processor/gpu and are running several complex mods all together. Personally, I have no issues with my load orders in FNV, but I use MO, and have a dedicated safe load order with 120 mods, whilst I play around with higher amounts on other profiles.
Unfortunately, there is no soft limit in Fallout New Vegas because the limit is supposed to be 255, but the engine is broken in that regard, and without the source code we can't easily find the problem, so we can't fix it.
The most common "soft limit" is around 125 and still a vast majority of people have "too large LO" problems before that.

Like I said before, some people have problems with 100+, some only have problems with more and some have problems with less (this last one is less frequent). Sometimes you can even have a limit of, let's say, 110 in one playthrough, then you uninstall the game. Later you reinstall and the limit might be a totally different number.

Also, even if you have plugins that are not active in your Load Order, they will count for the limit if they are left in your Data folder. Because the game still indexes them. Even if they are not activated in your LO. So always remove the inactive plugins from your Data folder (some Mod Managers prevent this by not installing plugins in the Data folder though).

And let me repeat myself, be careful with large load orders (100+), because many times the problems only start appearing after dozens of hours of playing, the longer you play that game, the more problems will appear and it will usually become baked in your save files too. So even if you reduce the LO and load the save file, it will still be broken.
And as i've said, with my subjective experience doing things correctly and not installing big anime tiddies #25 with extra bounce, with whatever other retarded mod people are installing haphazardly nowadays, i've had no issues whatsoever going up to 140-145. This is obviously an issue of people not knowing how to properly install/prune and manage mods.

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
Does anyone know of a way to add a single unpacked esp file via MO?
Just use 7Zip and make it into a zip file and install it. Otherwise, you could theoretically just drop it into your mod folder in MO, and it should technically work, though I normally just create zip files for this.

Risewild

Arbiter
And as i've said, with my subjective experience doing things correctly and not installing big anime tiddies #25 with extra bounce, with whatever other retarded mod people are installing haphazardly nowadays, i've had no issues whatsoever going up to 140-145. This is obviously an issue of people not knowing how to properly install/prune and manage mods.
But it is not an issue of badly installed mods.
We have made many attempts during the years in finding the problem and fixing it. The "too many" plugins errors can start appearing even with an empty plugin.
You just make a plugin that doesn't contain anything and add it to your Load Order and the game starts breaking, remove the plugin and it works properly again. This happens if the plugin is empty or if it is an actual mod.
Please don't assume we don't know what we're doing in this case, we (not only the TTW team, but other knowledgeable modders that are our friends) have spent years looking into the problem. Sometimes the results even conflict with themselves. It is a total mystery, and the only commonality between the errors is... Having that extra plugin or not, doesn't matter what plugin it is or what it does, doesn't matter if it contains anything or not, doesn't matter if it conflicts with other plugins or not, doesn't matter if it is a .ESM or .ESP...

Also even if you don't see or notice any problems, it doesn't mean they are not there. The most noticeable problems caused by having a Load Order too big are the graphical errors and problems. But those are not the only ones and might not even appear. The "inner workings" of the game might be getting all messed up and lists might not be applied correctly, things like weapon and armor values on the player or enemies might be glitched, pathing and other issues for NPCs and critters might be broken, stuff like NPC schedule or follow/patrol packages not working properly, and the list goes on and on. Many of those things a player doesn't even notice or care about.

I am glad you have no problems with your load order, and I hope you won't get any problems later too. But I wouldn't advise anyone else to have such a large LO.
100 is a safe number, 140 is definitely not a safe number for the vast majority of players.

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I've been having a problem with grass drawing distance seemingly being set at some limit and impossible to increase beyond that. All my googling didn't help. The way I test is - go up the hilltop that's above the wolf cave that is next to Goodsprings and look towards the east and north. I'll post screenshots and ini settings I've been changing while trying to increase the grass draw distance later today, but if you've had a similar experience and can give advice, help is welcome.

Edija

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I've hoped into the New Vegas modding train pretty late, I've installed Tale of Two Wastelands but it seems that a new version of it came out this month. The mod selection is very limited (as far as I understand every mods needs to be ported specifically to work with Tales of Two Wastelands). So, if anybody is playing that mod right now can he tell me how to get Project Nevada working with it? The People on the Tales of Two Wastelands site don't really mention it, maybe they're all waiting for a port?

Funposter

Arcane
Wouldn't grass distance be limited to ugrids, similar to LODs (without using LODGen)? Skyrim suffers from the same problem. Even with DynDOLOD, grass is still being drawn about 20 feet in front of you because the alternative is a total disaster.

Sykar

Arcane
Just use 7Zip and make it into a zip file and install it. Otherwise, you could theoretically just drop it into your mod folder in MO, and it should technically work, though I normally just create zip files for this.

Yeah I did that I was just wondering if MO can accept unpacked files.

AwesomeButton

Patron
Wouldn't grass distance be limited to ugrids, similar to LODs (without using LODGen)? Skyrim suffers from the same problem. Even with DynDOLOD, grass is still being drawn about 20 feet in front of you because the alternative is a total disaster.
My uGrids is at 7 right now. Since I've already tried everything else, I'll experiment with 9 today. As long as I don't make new savegames and then use them with a lowered uGrids, I should be fine.

Risewild

Arbiter
I've hoped into the New Vegas modding train pretty late, I've installed Tale of Two Wastelands but it seems that a new version of it came out this month. The mod selection is very limited (as far as I understand every mods needs to be ported specifically to work with Tales of Two Wastelands). So, if anybody is playing that mod right now can he tell me how to get Project Nevada working with it? The People on the Tales of Two Wastelands site don't really mention it, maybe they're all waiting for a port?
Most Fallout New Vegas mods will work out of the box. Avoid "bug fixing" mods, we have our own "YUP" version for TTW that already comes with the installer. So there is no need for any other bug fixing mods (they would just break stuff instead of fixing). Avoid animation mods or mods that add ranged weapons, animation mods are usually broken anyway and while gun mods will work, the aim would most likely be off center.

Project Nevada Core and Cyberware work, the other "modules" will need a patch. I don't know when or if anyone will make that patch.
My uGrids is at 7 right now. Since I've already tried everything else, I'll experiment with 9 today. As long as I don't make new savegames and then use them with a lowered uGrids, I should be fine.
Just a note, increasing uGrids might make you miss some situations/events. Because your game is loading cells farther than it should, so events that are scripted to happen when you're nearby will happen while you're not close and you might miss them. So it's just a reminder, in case you notice something that was supposed to be happening is not, when you walk by some area.

jaydee2k

Savant
Is there any save editor for the DOS version of Fallout?
I'm playing it through Dosbox atm...

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist

Yeah I did that I was just wondering if MO can accept unpacked files.
I think so yea, but you need to drop it into its mod folder manually. IIRC its essentially the same as dropping something into the data folder manually of a bethesda title.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
Took me a lot of different attempts and mod combinations to get this

Mw3hbhN.jpg

Perkel

Arcane
Soo Tales of Two Wastelands 3.2 is out after years in making introducing around 40000 bugfixes and features.
I decided to give a go + scourge some mods to make gameplay actually somewhat fun.

My main issues are almost completely gone when it comes to gameplay of FNV/FO3:
- shooting things up is much better because i changed animations, added sway and recoil to weapons
- AI got improved with combat enchancement, AI is much more logical and can actually use covers, run, doesn't rush etc.
- combat felt weak, improved JESawyer balance mod by Batty(basically rebalanced sawyer rebalance + added TTWstuff) + SPECIAL overhaul. Recoil also makes Strenght much more important. You don't want to shoot any gun at 1 STR as every gun will have huge recoil, the bigger STR req the bigger recoil. At 10 STR all hundguns are almost recoiless. At 1 they recoil as fuck.

Most of pre 3.2 TTW mods were nuked from TTW site
Only thing worth noting right now is AWOPFO3 for TTW which works right now well.

I must say biggest change is development of animations for gunplay by community.
That animation pack i am using makes really huge difference especially with sway and recoil where both of those were baked into animation that looked weird as it could play without you shooting gun.

also some people were very creative and added live disembodiment

MJs9Qky.gif

Last edited:

Black Angel

Arcane
I decided to give a go + scourge some mods to make gameplay actually somewhat fun.

My main issues are almost completely gone when it comes to gameplay of FNV/FO3:
- shooting things up is much better because i changed animations, added sway and recoil to weapons
- AI got improved with combat enchancement, AI is much more logical and can actually use covers, run, doesn't rush etc.
- combat felt weak, improved JESawyer balance mod by Batty(basically rebalanced sawyer rebalance + added TTWstuff) + SPECIAL overhaul. Recoil also makes Strenght much more important. You don't want to shoot any gun at 1 STR as every gun will have huge recoil, the bigger STR req the bigger recoil. At 10 STR all hundguns are almost recoiless. At 1 they recoil as fuck.
What mods did you use alongside TTW, aside from the aforementioned JESawyer TTW edition + SPECIAL overhaul?

Also, Risewild anything to watch out for with this new release?

Risewild

Arbiter
Animation mods might cause problems.
Mods that add new weapons will probably have the shooting of those weapons off-center.

Something to watch out in TTW 3.2. Some Broken Steel voices are bugged and will be fixed on the next update (which will be released soon).
If you install TTW using Mod Organizer or MO2, don't forget to run the game from your MO (this seems logical, but many users reported TTW not working exactly because they didn't run FNV from MO).

Mods for TTW 2.9 are not compatible with TTW 3.2. All TTW mods for 2.9 on our site were removed from public access due to players not following the large instructions we had everywhere saying "DO NOT USE 2.9 MODS WITH 3.2!".

We encourage any user to join our forum and our Discord server. In case there are any problems with the installation, to report bugs or just to hangout and have a chat with some Team members and the community.

Perkel

Arcane
What mods did you use alongside TTW, aside from the aforementioned JESawyer TTW edition + SPECIAL overhaul?

Also, Risewild anything to watch out for with this new release?

Very minimal setup and frankly with amount of thing to shot in both FNV and FO3 you don't need much more aside from maybe AWOP for FO3 to spice things up for FO3 start. Basically what i wrote + small stuff like Vats alternative, enchanced blood etc.

Animation mods might cause problems.
Mods that add new weapons will probably have the shooting of those weapons off-center.

Animations i am using work correctly and there are no issues. Asurah Reanimation pack works well with TTW weapons while rest like recoil etc are pretty much nvse stuff that works with every mod out there.
Imho the biggest change it provides is how responsive guns are. For example default fnv 1hand piston animation has this weird pause where you can't shoot gun if you click wait click but it shoots without issue when you click click click, this asurah pack fixes that.

Risewild

Arbiter
I also forgot to mention that TTW 3.2 has a bug (already fixed and will be included in next update) where the DC Ticket Vending terminal is giving the wrong ticket. To go to NV one can use the free ticket that is included in an office room before reaching the Ticket Terminal area.

Perkel

Arcane
I also forgot to mention that TTW 3.2 has a bug (already fixed and will be included in next update) where the DC Ticket Vending terminal is giving the wrong ticket. To go to NV one can use the free ticket that is included in an office room before reaching the Ticket Terminal area.

I found back door to train though...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom